The Manhattan Project: Energy Empire» Forums » Rules

Subject: Trade rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Gray
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all, I'm reading the rules and yet to play and I'm a bit confused by the rule around trading - more the example given. That is:

For example, you may trade $2 and 2 Science for 2 steel and 1 plastic"

I get that $2 = 1 steel
I get that $2 = 1 plastic

I don't get how 2 science with $2 gets the combination of 2 steel and 1 plastic.

Wouldn't 1 science get you 1 steel OR 1 plastic OR $2 how does the 2 science AND $2 get 3 items when to me it seems like you should have got 4? (Alternatively $2 OR 1 steel OR 1 plastic would get you 1 science not 2- correct?).

Am I missing something here? Sure feels like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt P
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Make any number of exchanges between yourself and the general
supply."

Everything exchanges as follows:

$2 = 1 Plastic or 1 Steel (not one of each)
1 Plastic = 1 Science or 1 Steel = 1 science
$2 = 1 Science.

One way to think of that is... $2 + 2 Science = $6 (remember $2 equals 1 science) which equals 3 of any combinations of steel and plastic. But really what you are doing in the example is trading $2 for a plastic lets say and then 2 science for 2 steel.

You can make any number of exchanges.

I think you are missing that science exchanges at 1:1 with plastic/steel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't understand your confusion. You set out the premises correctly and then seem to ignore them. Yes, $2 gets you a resource. Later though, you seem to think it should give you two resources?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Laurie
United States
Santa Maria
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Try this:
2$ = 1 science = 1 steel = 1 plastic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Gray
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BackIssueBacklog wrote:
"Make any number of exchanges between yourself and the general
supply."

$2 = 1 Science.

One way to think of that is... $2 + 2 Science = $6 (remember $2 equals 1 science) which equals 3 of any combinations of steel and plastic. But really what you are doing in the example is trading $2 for a plastic lets say and then 2 science for 2 steel.

You can make any number of exchanges.

I think you are missing that science exchanges at 1:1 with plastic/steel.

Got it! Basically in my head converting the resources back to money helped frame it correctly. $6 will get you 3 of any of the other resources.

Thanks. (I think it's just the way my brain works. Yes it's a bit mental - wow that was a really bad pun)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Gray
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LL Games wrote:
Try this:
2$ = 1 science = 1 steel = 1 plastic

Thanks Luke! That makes sense. Seriously well written rules and I play a lot of complex games and this was the only thing that stumped me, go figure. It is indeed quite simple looking at it that way.

Im really looking forward to actually playing now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
/|\ Roland /|\
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The_Rooster wrote:

Im really looking forward to actually playing now.

And you weren't before???

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Sorry couldn't resist, just kidding, have fun your first play. The game is excellent!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stoakes
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The very first question I wanted answered. I come on the Geek and it's the first question under Rules. Brilliant! Thanks for asking it and thank you for this answer. Very clear.
BackIssueBacklog wrote:

$2 = 1 Science.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian P
United States
Mount Pleasant
SC
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We found that trade is broken in this game given a player who knows what’s coming and plans. Since there are Achievements that award you for having any one reasource, all you have to do is create any engine generating any one of the three resources. Once you then start piling up steel or science, you just wait until the end game condition is close, go to trade and exchange everything in one go to then maximize your VP.

If you then try to stop the player from doing that, you spend to much time grabbing achievements that aren’t good for you. Otherwise, you just get steamrolled in the game. We’re debating a house rule to limit it. Every game we play someone ends up 20 pets ahead either from trade alone, or if people attempt to limit its impact from card purchases cause to much time was spent keeping players from acquiring game breaking achievements when paired with trade.

Just our experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got to say, in all my games played (in the neighborhood of 20) I've never experienced that issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Perello
Canada
Salmo
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Want DnDeeples? I'm on Esty as MagnificentMeeples.
mbmbmbmbmb
Roadkill72 wrote:
We found that trade is broken in this game given a player who knows what’s coming and plans. Since there are Achievements that award you for having any one reasource, all you have to do is create any engine generating any one of the three resources. Once you then start piling up steel or science, you just wait until the end game condition is close, go to trade and exchange everything in one go to then maximize your VP.

If you then try to stop the player from doing that, you spend to much time grabbing achievements that aren’t good for you. Otherwise, you just get steamrolled in the game. We’re debating a house rule to limit it. Every game we play someone ends up 20 pets ahead either from trade alone, or if people attempt to limit its impact from card purchases cause to much time was spent keeping players from acquiring game breaking achievements when paired with trade.

Just our experience.

Are you remembering that each achievement is worth a maximum of 5 points?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ezra McNichols
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Relax wrote:
Roadkill72 wrote:

Just our experience.

Are you remembering that each achievement is worth a maximum of 5 points?

This. Also remember that you can only have five total achievements, which leads to a maximum of 25 points from achievements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.