Hide
8 Posts

Conan» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Campaign Hero Strategy Help rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Natas X
msg tools
My friends and I have embarked on the campaign. Our experienced Overlord is 2-0 to start (Barely 1 the first match by the dice essentially but was rocked in the second game by the OL). Need some help on what we may be doing wrong.

Some of our thoughts are that we may not be using Conan as efficiently as possible. We also are not sure if we are really testing our Overlord enough to make him consider spending his gems.

Any help or thoughts would be appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felipe Bulhões
Brazil
flag msg tools
mb
Congrats on not being sore losers. In my experience, when I manage to win 2 matches in a row as an overlord, someone gets demoralized and leaves the group
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kitcat
United Kingdom
Malvern
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well done to your OL on winning the first two scenarios. I'm on my second Campaign now (as OL both times) and I've lost the first two on both occasions. First time around, I went on to win the next two scenarios so don't get too despondent. The system tends to steer the game towards scenarios that favour the trailing side. The main thing is, you are playing the Campaign which is a fantastic way to play the game as a whole. The scenarios are nicely balanced & you get to use a lot more of the models that came with the game.

I can't tell what you are doing wrong without seeing you play, but I can give some general advice on what has made life difficult for me as OL.

SPENDING XP's: (when you have them) I'm pretty sure that the Heroes' first priority is to level up all the way to Level 3 before they start spending any extra points on common gems.

STAYIN' ALIVE: The extra skills, spells & allies are very useful but the Heroes can't spend their XP to advance if they die. Sometimes it's worth more to lose the scenario so that your Heroes live to get better.

CHESTS: Try to open all of the chests. The 2 points is a very useful bonus and the extra armour, weapons etc are vital for the Heroes' progress.

Work as a TEAM: rest Heroes on alternative turns so that you are always keeping the pressure on the OL. As OL, I love a turn when I can draw back to a full quota of gems. That's usually because the Heroes are not keeping me at full stretch.

Make best use of your SKILLS:

ZELATA: her Support ability is HUGE. Getting a free reroll for any throw in her area is a huge saving in gems for the Heroes and also puts immense pressure on the OL as the Heroes' increased success just builds the pressure. So, get her into the key area each turn, if necessary by just walking her into the trouble spot ahead of Conan or Ngora who will do the actual killing. She is vulnerable (I'll always attack her first if I can because of her Yellow Guard die - like Belit), so make sure she's protected against melee attacks by Ngora' presence & his Bodyguard skill.
Her later spells will make her very powerful too.

NGORA: I've mentioned Bodyguard above & that applies for defending all the Heroes. As OL, if I can make them spend gems guarding then I'm effectively tiring them out. I've seen Ngora simply go cautious for a couple of turns (obviously, when appropriate) and soak up all the attacks aimed at his comrades. His Orange Guard die makes a big difference for the ladies, then there's his buckler and perhaps a parry die too and if the hero that he is guarding has armour, then you get to add that too.
Soon his Reach ability will also come in very handy.

BELIT: Her Evasive skill is very useful, especially with her 3 move. She's the chest opener and the one who can slip through my hordes to get to objectives. But also be very careful because she is vulnerable and I will (as OL) do my best to hack her down if she's isolated and I can mob her.
Ambidextrous: hoo boy, Belit with two weapons is a fighting demon, especially thanks to her melee reroll. She hits hard, but can't take the punishment herself.
Lock Pick at Level 1 is very handy for your chief chest opener.

CONAN: He's the man. If something needs killing, he's there to do it with all those red dice. Later on he'll get Circular Strike & hopefully a two handed weapon to use it, but in the mean time he can still (usually) drop any single target. But he needs to be fairly fresh to do it. As OL I try to wear him out with attacks. Problem is his Counterattack skill. I'd far rather shoot at him than risk him doing 3 free hits and an autokill against one of my minions. Make sure you time his rests & bursts of activity. His Lion is an absolute brute.

So, when I see a phalanx of Conan, Ngora & Zelata stamping its way across the board while Belit flits hither & thither plundering all of the chests, then I'm not a happy OL. However, if they are ignoring the victory conditions then it's not so bad because I'll be stocking up on those tasty 2:1 gems. FOCUS on the scenario goal, but even more important, make sure that you stay alive to spend your XP's.

I can see which scenario you are due to play next, so if I get the time I'll try to suggest a few strategies. I haven't played it (as I said, I've never been in the position of winning my first two scenarios).

But, main thing is to stick with it. It's a marvellous game & the Campaign is a super addition to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Larsen
Denmark
Horsens
flag msg tools
Ok, now I feel especially sad for not getting the campaign book... I hope it will be available in the mini KS in September. Because the above sounds like FUN!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reto Kaestle
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mb
Hello everybody. I see it right that her conan in the Campania also plays? In my rule book only Amra the lion, savage Belit, N'Gora and Zelata to the choice ... I have something overlooked or play it wrong with my comrade?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kitcat
United Kingdom
Malvern
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Reto,

Amra the Lion is an alternate version Conan, so when I refer to Conan above, I mean his Amra model and card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reto Kaestle
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for the explane!! I'm going to play conan now 🤗
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kitcat
United Kingdom
Malvern
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool! Enjoy it. The campaign is the most fun I've had playing Conan so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.