Stephen Glenn
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Many people are fine with the amount of luck in Street Soccer. But for those who gnash their teeth every time they roll a 1, here are some ideas. I don't know if either of these ideas has been proposed before. If so, apologies for the theft.

1. Simply re-roll 1s and add the sum of both dice. This means that 2.77% of the time you will actually roll a 7 (wow!). Given that there are 50 rolls in the game, this should happen no more than once per game.

2. Use two d3s. Most people don't have d3s, so simply use a d6 as a d3. (1/2=1, 3/4=2, 5/6=3).

To kickoff, the first player rolls one die and that is their movement. For every subsequent turn, the player adds their roll the their opponent's previous roll. This not only eliminates 1s, it balances the total sums rolled by both players throughout the course of the game.

The first idea is probably more stable, by which I mean I don't believe it upsets the status quo as much as the second idea might. Perhaps such an equal balance would make the game too boring and predictable.

Maybe it's just best left as a thought experiment. I think the game is fun as it is but I love to tinker.

Have fun.

Stephen
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Nicosia
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
SMASH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
First off, I just want to disclaimer that I love the game as it is, and have absolutely no beef with the luck. An experienced player will almost always beat an inexperienced at this great game. That being said, I love coming up with and using house rules, in most if not all games...

I think I like your second rule... the only problem I can see that might come up is the rolls might be a little too even. Not only will it bring your rolls closer to each others', but all rolls in general will be around a (sorta) bell curve, with 4 coming up more three times as often as 2s or 6s. Which may or may not be a good thing... I suspect final scores will be a lot lower, and overtimes will happen a lot more often. Definitely going to try this next time with a willing partner, tho.

A house rule I though of a while ago but haven't tried yet is to find a way for the opponents to use the same exact "rolls" (over the course of the game)...

For instance, what if instead of rolling a die, you each drew chits from a bag? Each player's bag could have chits with numbers 1 to 6 ... say, like 4 of each so 24 chits total in each bag. On your turn you drew 2 chits, put one back in your bag, used the other one to move/kick, and then put the chit you used back into your opponent's bag. So, when you use good chits you are making your opponent's bag better, and vice versa.

This idea kind of excites me, because it not only evens out the rolls between opponents, but it adds an interesting decision to the game... namely, in deciding which of the 2 chits to use you get to choose whether you use the bigger kick now, or take the smaller one if the final position of the ball isn't that much worse(if at all), thereby saving a big kick still in your bag. How long do you play small-ball trying to improve your bag, while giving up field position? Etc, etc. Might be fun.

I'm going to try this variant if I ever get around to producing it, but will probably try yours a lot sooner. Will report back.

Cheers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bachovchin
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I think a variant with chips instead of dice would make this game really interesting and strategic. (ie, each player has a certain number of chips that move 1 space, 2 spaces, 3 spaces, etc)

If we wanted to keep the number of turns at 25, I would propose something like this:
4 one space chips (ie, equivalent to rolling a 1 in the normal game)
4 two space chips
4 three space chips
5 four space chips
4 five space chips
4 six space chips

Also maybe there could be a variant that had a little luck but not a lot of it. For example
3 one space chips
4 two space chips
4 three space chips
4 four space chips
4 five space chips
3 six space chips
3 die rolls

What are people's thoughts about these variants? I realize it might not be for everyone, but I think some of the more experienced players would appreciate a more strategic, less luck-based game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.