Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
1. After a first play, is the intention to mix all the platters together? I was trying to reconcile the rules in Embers with the base game. Should the two sets of hexes be split and played one or the other? Or is the intent that after you get used to relics and ice comets that you mix it all?

2. Depending on the answer to #1, even drawing three mission cards and choosing 1, often almost none of the relevant locations have shown up until late in the game. Is it correct that missions are a crapshoot?

3. If I have a mission, no m-comp, and go to a mission space, may I draw 3, discard my old one and keep one of the new ones?

4. With the new board, the events and titles are triggered by the lead player landing on the relevant spot on the FP board, right? With that huge deck of title and events, you only see a few each game?

5. If playing to 10 FP, it seemed like buying the fame point was a better deal than upgrading the ship. Is that the case, or did we miss getting fame for getting a better ship? We get that in a longer game, it might make sense.

6. If you want to travel along the path (not across it) of an ice comet, do you roll for the comet for each space you move along its path, or just once when you join/cross the path?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
grandslam wrote:
1. After a first play, is the intention to mix all the platters together? I was trying to reconcile the rules in Embers with the base game. Should the two sets of hexes be split and played one or the other? Or is the intent that after you get used to relics and ice comets that you mix it all?

All the system tiles should be mixed together.

Quote:
2. Depending on the answer to #1, even drawing three mission cards and choosing 1, often almost none of the relevant locations have shown up until late in the game. Is it correct that missions are a crapshoot?

It just gives more incentive to explore, if you are going for missions. In my last game, the whole map was explored about halfway through.

Quote:
3. If I have a mission, no m-comp, and go to a mission space, may I draw 3, discard my old one and keep one of the new ones?

I'm pretty sure the answer to this is "yes".

Quote:
4. With the new board, the events and titles are triggered by the lead player landing on the relevant spot on the FP board, right? With that huge deck of title and events, you only see a few each game?

Yes, part of what helps with replayability - you won't get the same Titles and Events each time.

Quote:
5. If playing to 10 FP, it seemed like buying the fame point was a better deal than upgrading the ship. Is that the case, or did we miss getting fame for getting a better ship? We get that in a longer game, it might make sense.

When you buy a better ship (either Tier II or III) you get a FP in addition to the ship.

Quote:
6. If you want to travel along the path (not across it) of an ice comet, do you roll for the comet for each space you move along its path, or just once when you join/cross the path?

Only when you first move onto the path. If you move onto the path, the comet will move; if you stay on the path, it will not move. If you exit the path and re-enter the path, it will move again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rav
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All that in the first reply looks good to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grandslam wrote:

5) Buying a fame point is never better than buying a better ship. Buying a fame costs the same as a level 2, however the level 2 comes with: Bigger ship, another special ability in combination with your level 1 ability, a cooler model, and striking fear into the hearts of the other level 1's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Torrens
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I typically find in my games that the board is explored quite quickly! There are players that want to pursue the explore tokens for FP. Just as importantly, you don't want to let other players control placing all the map tiles.

In one game we were playing, one of the players was low on energy exploring the edge of the map. The three other players managed to explore the last three tiles leaving him stranded (there was still one planet in the last three tiles). Of course that just meant another player was able to donate energy to him for an FP

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Oh, another question.

If I get two explore tokens with FP on the back, is that 3 FP total, 2 for the two FP on the tokens, and 1 for handing the two in? Or do you have to not use them to hand them in? Sorry, I don't have the rules in front of me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grandslam wrote:
Oh, another question.

If I get two explore tokens with FP on the back, is that 3 FP total, 2 for the two FP on the tokens, and 1 for handing the two in? Or do you have to not use them to hand them in? Sorry, I don't have the rules in front of me.

If you are using the expansion, you should only be using the NEW exploration tokens (with the brownish front). The tokens that give an FP outright are from the base game.

Of course, you can house-rule to mix them. If so, I'd probably say if you get an FP token, you don't "keep" it to add for another VP later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Oops. Is there a list of which parts should be mixed vs. separated other than the discussion of setup for the first game in the expansion rulebook?

platters are mixed
exploration tokens are not
three Level III ships are changed

Should the Kiln/Nyr always be at the center or is that just for the first game?
etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grandslam wrote:
Oops. Is there a list of which parts should be mixed vs. separated other than the discussion of setup for the first game in the expansion rulebook?

The Exploration Tokens section does say to replace the original tokens, and the Rule Changes section on page 6 talks about replacing the Tier 3 ships. You mix together the missions, titles, and tiles, though.

Quote:
Should the Kiln/Nyr always be at the center or is that just for the first game?
etc.

If using the expansion, you always put Kiln/Nyr at the center, though of course you can always house rule it and just set up like in the base game. The only major thing that will be affected is that you'll have nowhere to sell Ember, and if the Rakishi event shows up before Nyr is in play, you won't have anywhere to put it, but both could be solved easily (by exploring more, and just having Rakishi appear as soon as Nyr shows up).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Maertz
United States
Duluth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
grandslam wrote:

Once you take a mission Im pretty sure you are stuck with it. If you are at capacity Missions then you may not draw missions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CptBlood wrote:
grandslam wrote:

Once you take a mission Im pretty sure you are stuck with it. If you are at capacity Missions then you may not draw missions.

That's incorrect. You can always discard an active mission for free. The rule is you can't draw new mission while you still have one, but you can always discard your current mission then draw new ones. (You have to discard the old one before drawing though.)

Also don't forget you can't see the missions you've drawn until after your turn is over. (Except in the solo game where you are allowed to look at new missions as soon as you draw them.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW, to discard a mission, the rules say to take a Jettison Cargo minor action. Not sure why it's not just another minor action called Abort Mission, but that's just semantics at that point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.