Zombicide: Black Plague» Forums » Variants

Subject: New to Zombicide: BP - Two House Rule Thoughts rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
R Rush
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
So, I finally got the chance to fire this game up, and now I'm pumped to play it more.

I've got two ideas on house rules that I thought I'd float here to see if anyone with more experience with the game could provide any insight about how they're good/bad/mediocre ideas.

- Necromancers / Abominations - I like the idea having every single Abomination and Necromancer I have available to show up, but I also don't want to have the deck half full of them. The thought is: just keep the existing, standard Necromancer cards in the deck and, on drawing one, roll a d6: 1-3 - Normal Necromancer, 4 - Grin, 5 - Queen Medea,6 - Evil Troy. Similar process with Abominations. As I get more, I'll just expand the chart and use a bigger die type. (I play DCC, so I've got weird dice handy.)

- Danger level - It seems like the biggest complaint about the game is that there's a motivator to just hunker down and search as much as you can as long as you can before fighting anything, in order to gear up before things actually get dangerous. I certainly saw this in the game we played; I don't know if I think it's a bug or a feature yet, but I understand the complaint.

A thought I had about managing this is to use an extra dashboard: every zombie turn, increase the tracker by 1 or d2 or d3 (not sure which step I like yet), and danger level is determined by all of the dashboards including the extra one.

Any thoughts? Comments? Criticism?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd play it a few more times before making up rules like that. Simply managing your spawn deck can adjust the danger level, and if I was an unarmed survivor in a Zombie Apocalypse (not likely to happen until at least next Tuesday), then I would hunt for equipment for as long as possible before actually fighting any of them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flo Heisenbrain
Germany
München
Bayern
flag msg tools
I am the one who mods!
badge
Are you pondering what I'm pondering?
mbmbmbmbmb
My solution to the Necromancer Abomination thing is the following:
I use always 6 Necromancer cards, 2 normal, one of each special (Grin, Queen Medea, Evil Troy and Ostokar)
I use the standard + Wulfsburg deck and put one card of each abomination in
This "remembers" which Necros/Abombs already spawned and doesn't repeat until you have to reshuffle.

There were some pretty big complaint about the danger lvl "bug", but i don't see it that way (and haven't experienced it either). We always try to manage xp for a bit, but we stop if we have decent equipment and most of the time one of my friends is the "i got a weapon - lets get ALL the xp" (he needs it for his orange skill of course )

We don't have the need for a system to force the level up, but some groups do. Maybe you could try something like:
From turn 3 onward: If no Zombie got killed that turn, everybody gets 1 xp
or awarding xp for searching
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakamachi, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that the best way to handle necromancers and abominations is through the number of cards you put into your draw deck. Wny complicate things?

As for searching, for the most part, it's self adjusting, as moving around the board (before many Zs are on the board and the threat level creates difficult spawn rates) is often a better idea than spending time searching. At any rate, the players can decide what they want to do without any special rules. If you don't want to hunker down, then just don't!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tuomo Kouvo
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If you wish to limit exessive searching. How about this for variation:
1. Make each room only searchable once (overall or with each survivor)
2. When drawing aah! card instead of a single zombie appearing draw a spawn card and resolve the appropriate level

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilja Preuß
Germany
Karlsruhe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW, I only have the standard necromancer and spawn cards in the spawn deck. At green level, I just spawn those. At higher levels, when a necro/abomination spawns, I draw from a separate deck to determine which one (instead of rolling a die).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.