BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Yokohama vs Marco Polo vs Orleans? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
TJ H
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Can anyone compare goods and bads of those three games?

I understand games themselves are not really comparable but their weights are on the same level and they have smiilar playtime. So I am trying to check goods and bads of each.

I mostly play with 3/4 players and normally plays much heavier games but I occasionally get (relatively) new boardgame players and it's also nice to have these relatively short games for situations where I only have 1-2 extra hours to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Ho
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All 3 games are good. There's no bad. You will be happy with any of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sumit Sadekar
United States
NEW YORK
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are my thoughts based on what I have played.
Marco Polo is a great game. Roll dice and assign them to take actions on the board based on the pip values. Game plays quick and your usually left for wanting more at the end of it. Lots of different things to do and gain VP. Also starting variable power characters are awesome. I hear there is an expansion in the works.

Orleans is a bag building game. Obtain workers and place them in bag, every turn draw from the bag and each worker can take some specific actions on the board. Gain more workers and build your engine. Invasion expansion adds Coop to the game. Works well with 3-4 too.

Yokohama is the only one i have not yet played. I have the KS but not had a chance yet. Its a pickup and delivery. Travel on the board with lots of actions. Maybe something like Istanbul.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Village Idiot
United States
Palm Harbor
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own and love all 3 games. You really can't go wrong with any of them.

Orleans and Yokohama are in my Top 10 of all time, and Marco Polo is in my Top 20. (Out of the 500+ games I own)

All 3 are kinda sorta worker placement games, with big twists. And all 3 have multiple paths to victory with lots of great decisions. Since I love all 3, I'll try to focus on what makes them uniquely better or worse.

Orleans:
The Good
-Much of the game is done simultaneously, so there's not much down time
-"Bag Building" is fun
-You can make some of your personal action spots easier to activate, and add special spaces that only you have
-As someone pointed out, the Invasion expansion turns this amazing competitive game into an amazing euro co-op game

The Bad
-The majority of the game is multiplayer solitaire (although there is another expansion that takes care of this, making the game kind of mean)
-The one part that does have some interaction is widely considered the game's weakest part (the traveling)
-Pulling chits out of bag, while fun, can still lead to a larger luck factor than you want in a euro sometimes.

Marco Polo:

The Good
-The special powers! Makes every player feel incredibly unique and every game feels way different than the last.
-The dice worker placement and the route movement at the top of the board feel very balanced and integrated.
-You unlock more worker placement spaces as the game goes on, increasing your decisions at a nice rate.

The Bad:
-For some reason, this one seems to always take new players the longest to learn.
-Although they balance high rolls vs low rolls incredibly well, it still is a dice game, so rolling poorly (not what you're wanting at that moment) can affect some games more than others.

Yokohama:

The Good
-Definitely feels more like worker placement with movement than pick-up-and-deliver (this is a huge plus for me bc I don't really care for PU&D games)
-You can put buildings on the action spaces, making those actions more powerful for you (and giving you money when an opponent lands there)
-The interaction is high in this game, without ever feeling mean - You race to be the 1st to get the 5-Power Bonus Chips, you can block an opponent making him take longer to go around you or give you a coin, you race to be the 1st to get the achievements, you have 3 different "area majorities" happening at the same time
-The random setup makes replayability through the roof!
-The mix of Orders, Technology (special powers), and set collection makes every decision have many implications.

The Bad
-The board looks crazy busy and intimidating
-There are so many pieces, set up time is a little higher than average
-Some technology cards are WAY more interesting than others, so there might some games where there are no really cool powers available
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've played VOMP and Orleans once each at 4p, and they are very fun games. However, I doubt I'll add them to my collection. VOMP has variable player powers, which I don't care for at all, and base Orleans is said to become samey after a while and needs an expansion.

I do own Yokohama, which I've played at 2p and 4p. I prefer this game to both of the above. It has similarities to Istanbul (the designer was inspired by it), including a modular board and a logistics element, but IMO is roughly 1 level heavier. It has a huge amount of setup variability to keep the game fresh. There are multiple strategies and you need to plan ahead, but play tends to be very tactical as well, since other players are constantly blocking you and forcing you to go to Plan B or C. I especially like the shifting logistics puzzle that this game presents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TJ H
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Thank you for replies. I've also did more research and seems like Yokohama works best for my collection. One drawback I've recognized is that it uses a large amount of table space and can look daunting to new players. Is the game more complicated than other two or is it more like "things are intuitive enough but they are just big"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justen Brown
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xlist21 wrote:
Thank you for replies. I've also did more research and seems like Yokohama works best for my collection. One drawback I've recognized is that it uses a large amount of table space and can look daunting to new players. Is the game more complicated than other two or is it more like "things are intuitive but they are just big".

It's not more complex than the other games, there's just more ways to earn points. It's a point salad in a similar vein to a Feld game like Castles of Burgundy. Practically every action will score you something so you're always looking out for the one action that scores the most.

It is daunting and one of the reasons why I have no interest in playing it. Part of it is my bias against these sweeping Feld style games, but at the end it just doesn't feel like I've accomplished anything special. I'd rather play Instanbul which takes half the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Village Idiot
United States
Palm Harbor
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xlist21 wrote:
Thank you for replies. I've also did more research and seems like Yokohama works best for my collection. One drawback I've recognized is that it uses a large amount of table space and can look daunting to new players. Is the game more complicated than other two or is it more like "things are intuitive enough but they are just big"?

I've played all 3 many times, and I don't think it's more complicated.
Personally, I view them all at about the same complexity. However, as far as teaching to new players, I've found Orleans the easiest, followed by Yokohama and then Marco Polo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Oakley
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xlist21 wrote:
I mostly play with 3/4 players and normally plays much heavier games but I occasionally get (relatively) new boardgame players and it's also nice to have these relatively short games for situations where I only have 1-2 extra hours to play.

Having played them all, I would say complexity of game play and teaching goes:

(less complex) Orleans < Voyages of Marco Polo <= Yokohama (more complex)

My personal enjoyment is probably the reverse since I tend to like heavier games. That said, they are all pretty good with Yokohama and Marco Polo knocking on the door of excellence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris F
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played all three and own Marco Polo.

Out of the 3 I personally would chose Marco Polo.

Why?

I loved Orleans when I first played it. I couldn't get enough of it but then realised, as one of the previous posters mentioned, it was rather solo and actually became repeatative. I would happily play it if on offer but not something I would go out and buy. Probably the easiest to learn of the 3.

Yokohama. This is a great game but goodness me the board is just too much. As well as being too big, it's colours are sometimes just too close to tell the difference. That said it is something I would think that the more I play the more I will get used to it. Probably the hardest of the 3 for a new player.

Marco Polo is really clever. The use of the dice is great and it's pretty balanced with a number of different strategies. It's very different to the other games I have to merit staying in my collection and regularly hitting the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wolkey
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Three excellent choices. Eventually getting all of them should be a goal. Here's my preference:

1. Marco Polo w/new Explorers expansion (available from the geek store for $5.) Playing each of the different explorers is fun and enjoyable as they are completely different and do such different things.

2. Orleans. I still haven't won, but I blame that on never drawing well.

3. Yokohama. Lots going on and the first game can be intimidating, but it's an excellent game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
The correct answer is:

BUY ALL 3, and 2 more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott P
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Is Voyages of Marco Polo even available right now? I've only played it on yucata.de but really enjoy this game. In fact, with the strategy involved in this game, I think may I enjoy playing online more than I would in person.

I recently acquired Orleans and, after 4-5 plays, was not impressed. It felt like an activity more than a game and the decisions were not compelling to me. I've heard the expansion is very good, mainly on the strength of a co-op variant. But since I'm not a fan of co-op, I'm selling it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sal conz
Panama
flag msg tools
Here is another comparison: Originality.

1) orleans - very unique - one of if not the first bag builder. so if you don't have a bag builder, this could be an excellent choice. it involves programming actions and moving up tracks. it is really fun to ruffle through your bag and wonder what you are going to pull out. even for a euro-gamer, it is pretty exciting. plus it has a co-op expansion

2) yokohama - also very unique path building. the location tiles and placing assistants reminds some of istanbul, but it is very different. a ton of variability, point salad, special powers. if you love the feel of pulling off combos in games - yokohama is great.

3) marco polo - well, i dont have it. From hat i've seen in run throughs and from what people say, getting asymmetrical player powers is
very cool. Dice drafting might be nice if you don't have other dice drafting games.

actually, i havent bought it yet because it hasnt impressed me that much. maybe it's because of my game collection.. i have maybe 50 Eurogames. Marco Polo seems mechanically sound. but almost all of it's mechanisms remind of of other games I have. But that's just me. My collection is different from yours.

in the end, ide say get the one that feels most unique for your game collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.