BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Design Queries and Problems

Subject: Adding Flavor? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Clint Stoker
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
I wanted to pose a question for my first KickStarter game.

The game is Arcade Fighter. Basically players choose a fighter and each fighter has a unique data sheet. I have come up with some backstory for each fighter, just for my own understanding, but I'm wondering if this kind of flavor text should be included in the game? I could write up a little bio for each fight and print it on the back of the data sheet, but I'm not sure if people like that kind of thing. Personally, it would have little to no impact for me as a player. If the game is fun, that is all I care about, but I'm curious to see what you all think.

Is it a good idea to add flavor text/character bios? Or is is just fluff that nobody cares for?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I enjoy designing / manufacturing game components and upgrades. Got a project? PM!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like such things, but if they are more than a blurb, I'd prefer them compiled into a game/character/world guide, so i can read about the setting without futzing with game components, and while a game is in progress.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint Stoker
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
I'm thinking it would be a paragraph for each character. I may need to write them all out and see how long they would be. There are 6 characters, but I have a stretch goal of adding 2 more. So 8 characters could certainly fill out a couple pages in a booklet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk K

New Kensington
Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always want to know at least a little about the character I'm playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oblivion Doll
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Another option would be to include some of this information in "character bio" updates during the kickstarter. Even if the information isn't published in the game itself, sharing it shows the depth of what you've made in background for your setting. If you have a stretch goal of a "lore book" with extra art and information, that can include some of the same information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint Stoker
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Some great ideas here. I think I'm going to add the character bios as an early stretch goal. That way it's easy to obtain, but something to look forward to.

Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.