6 Posts

Dark Souls: The Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: How will Armour and Summoned Expansions work? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Back 5
msg tools
mbmbmb
I've been trying to read up on these expansions but not really finding much info.

Do we know how each of these expansions will work with the game at all?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam Brennan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Eternally
badge
Deluded
mbmbmbmbmb
Armour will likely be fairly simple, just new cards to add to the equipment deck (perhaps some transposed/class item ones) and a certain mini to replace your character with if you find a suit of that armour.

Summoned expansion we don't know yet. I would imagine, in all honesty, that the reason we don't know is because SFG themselves don't know yet. The rules underwent a pretty significant rewrite towards the end of the project and were fine tuned a lot, so any ideas about this expansion would need to be rewritten and tested once the core game rules were up. That coupled with the need to write rules for all the mega bosses, expansion enemies, equipment, new character abilities for the Player Character expansion and new treasure/equipment cards, they're probably fairly busy at the minute!!

They've pledged to daily updates via the Kickstarter now, so you can check there for any news. They've recently posted some prints of most of the Mega Bosses, as well as a lovely Solaire mini.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Parkes
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Summoning concerns me as might end up just being another AI model to control. Given that you have to manage all of the enemies in between each player turn already, if this just adds in another thing to control to a pre-dtermined script, that is therefore devoid of player agency, that might not be so great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Back 5
msg tools
mbmbmb
StarryVeck wrote:
Summoning concerns me as might end up just being another AI model to control. Given that you have to manage all of the enemies in between each player turn already, if this just adds in another thing to control to a pre-dtermined script, that is therefore devoid of player agency, that might not be so great.

I went through and read all the updates trying to find out if Steamforged addressed my question. Turns out they did!

As the previous poster said, the armour expansion will be a cool way to replace your starting characters model. The armour set will have certain abilities if you complete the set (very similar to set bonuses in MMO's).

They said the Summoner expansion will be an AI character with it's own deck.
Steamforged wrote:
The Summoned NPCs act very similar to the Bosses you have already seen within the game - but in reverse. Each NPC will come with their own 'Summon AI' deck that represents iconic behaviours of each of the relevant models. For example, 'Onion Bro' will demonstrate quite a slow and sluggish NPC - however his blocking ability is frighteningly good to behold. His dodging....not so much.

The NPCs can be brought into the world in a variety of ways and this is the area we are still finalizing the nuisances of. As with everything, we always try to replicate the video game as close as possible but at times we need to have multiple ways that models may be utilized so gamers will have the full experience during their playthroughs.

For example, you will be able to bring models in before Boss fights via summoning just like the video game (and help you clear the room your in)...But we also currently have in testing using these models as companions from the start of your playthrough - particularly if you are playing solo. We want to maintain that everything is accessible within the game while still providing the difficulty curve presented within the video games.

So hopefully they work out the way they play and it doesn't turn into our Summoned friend running into walls instead of attacking the enemy mobs lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rowe
Canada
flag msg tools
StarryVeck wrote:

This right here, as whenever we've played a full game of this (didn't skip right to the boss), the observation most of my group made regarding this game was "So this game gets to play itself more than any of us do."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Parkes
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Back5 wrote:
As the previous poster said, the armour expansion will be a cool way to replace your starting characters model. The armour set will have certain abilities if you complete the set (very similar to set bonuses in MMO's).

I hope they come up with a better way of accruing armour pieces rather than simply digging through the treasure deck. Otherwise the new armor set minis might not see much play.

I'm not very optimistic about these stretch goals if I'm honest. Particularly now that they've said that teaser screen grab is nothing to do with the board game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.