BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Need adult family games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Boyles
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
I currently have a few games but it's difficult to get the wife to play, and recently having twins we don't have much time to do much of anything away from the house anymore. I currently have, Mage Knight, 4 of the Dungeons and Dragons games, Galaxy Defenders, Zombicide and Black plague. All of which the wife only plays to satisfy me, and I end up playing her character half the time lol. She doesn't really care to much for board games as you can tell, but I'd like to find a game or 2 that would get her excited about playing. I like the miniatures aspect in games but it's not necessary to have them, but preferable. I need something that is simple to learn, preferably co-op, nice have mechanics to keep things smooth. Im not sure what else to say, so if there is more information needed to give a good recommendation, please ask. Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
What!? I finally get my very own video game, but it's a mobile game?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe try some of the modern classics.
Carcassonne is a great 2 player game, and there are a bunch of different versions of it now, so you could pick a theme that seems to work best for you and your wife. You and her might like the Amazonas or Goldrush one better than the regular game. However, if you do end up really liking the game, there aren't as many (if any) expansions for some of the re-themed variations. It's not co-op, but the game doesn't have to be cut-throat. So long as you don't try to steal each others' features, or make it so they can't complete a feature, it's pretty easy going.

Ticket to Ride is another great one for couples. You can house rule it so the double routes can still be used in a 2 player game if you want it to be less competitive. My wife finds a lot of satisfaction in just completing her route cards, more so than trying to block me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I enjoy designing / manufacturing game components and upgrades. Got a project? PM!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What kinds of games does your wife like? If she has humored you, return the favor and play something she will love whether you're interested or not.

You might be fortunate enough to find a genre / type of game you both love.

If she just flat out is not into gaming, well, that's a bummer. Perhaps you could game solitaire while she pursues a hobby of her own.

EDIT: fixed pronoun placed by brain misfire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jrb3king wrote:
I currently have a few games but it's difficult to get the wife to play, and recently having twins we don't have much time to do much of anything away from the house anymore. I currently have, Mage Knight, 4 of the Dungeons and Dragons games, Galaxy Defenders, Zombicide and Black plague. All of which the wife only plays to satisfy me, and I end up playing her character half the time lol. She doesn't really care to much for board games as you can tell, but I'd like to find a game or 2 that would get her excited about playing. I like the miniatures aspect in games but it's not necessary to have them, but preferable. I need something that is simple to learn, preferably co-op, nice have mechanics to keep things smooth. Im not sure what else to say, so if there is more information needed to give a good recommendation, please ask. Thanks

To be honest, rather than try to convert a reluctant spouse to play board games, I'd put efforts into finding gamers in your area. Use the Misc-Find Users link and find BGG users close to you. Find some users who seem active and with similar taste, and they might be interested in meeting up for some gaming, and might have tips for regular local gaming groups. You could then start up a gaming group right out of your house, problem solved :-)

I've learned from my own experience that it's less frustrating to game with others who are as equally excited to game as I am, than to try to get non-gaming friends and family to game with me. I'll offer friends & family an opportunity to try board games, but I don't push it if they don't ask for more - it's more fun for everyone to do other activities more mutually enjoyable.

Also there's solo-gaming, check out the 1-player guild:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/guild/1303

People are very friendly there and would be happy to give you recs for solo/soloable games based on your tastes.

But, if you're really determined to game with your wife:
What kind of themes would she be interested in? Sometimes a theme someone's into is a good hook and gets them more excited about a game.

Some light games I enjoy playing with my wife:
-Patchwork
-Morels
-Santorini
-Splendor
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Boyles
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
GibbRS wrote:
Maybe try some of the modern classics.
Carcassonne is a great 2 player game, and there are a bunch of different versions of it now, so you could pick a theme that seems to work best for you and your wife. You and her might like the Amazonas or Goldrush one better than the regular game. However, if you do end up really liking the game, there aren't as many (if any) expansions for some of the re-themed variations. It's not co-op, but the game doesn't have to be cut-throat. So long as you don't try to steal each others' features, or make it so they can't complete a feature, it's pretty easy going.

Ticket to Ride is another great one for couples. You can house rule it so the double routes can still be used in a 2 player game if you want it to be less competitive. My wife finds a lot of satisfaction in just completing her route cards, more so than trying to block me.

Thanks, I'll look into those, and ticket to Ride it's only 28$ at Target right now 😎

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Boyles
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
aesthetocyst wrote:
What kinds of games does your wife like? If she has humored her, return the favor and play something she will love whether you're interested or not.

You might be fortunate enough to find a genre / type of game you both love.

If she just flat out is not into gaming, well, that's a bummer. Perhaps you could game solitaire while she pursues a hobby of her own.

She doesn't have a specific time she likes, anytime I ask she says "easy to learn" lol. She does like clue I know. If there is a modern type who done it or something like that maybe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Boyles
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
JohnnyDollar wrote:
Jrb3king wrote:

To be honest, rather than try to convert a reluctant spouse to play board games, I'd put efforts into finding gamers in your area. Use the Misc-Find Users link and find BGG users close to you. Find some users who seem active and with similar taste, and they might be interested in meeting up for some gaming, and might have tips for regular local gaming groups. You could then start up a gaming group right out of your house, problem solved :-)

I've learned from my own experience that it's less frustrating to game with others who are as equally excited to game as I am, than to try to get non-gaming friends and family to game with me. I'll offer friends & family an opportunity to try board games, but I don't push it if they don't ask for more - it's more fun for everyone to do other activities more mutually enjoyable.

Also there's solo-gaming, check out the 1-player guild:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/guild/1303

People are very friendly there and would be happy to give you recs for solo/soloable games based on your tastes.

But, if you're really determined to game with your wife:
What kind of themes would she be interested in? Sometimes a theme someone's into is a good hook and gets them more excited about a game.

Some light games I enjoy playing with my wife:
-Patchwork
-Morels
-Santorini
-Splendor

I have been looking into trying to find gaming groups in my area, I did a member search on BGG but the closest registered used is over a half HR away, which isn't a huge deal. How do I know if they see active? Also, what is the etiquette, do I just message them? Is there a dedicated forum to post looking for gamers requests?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jrb3king wrote:
She does like clue I know. If there is a modern type who done it or something like that maybe.

There are some Clue type games. One that springs to mind is Mystery Express. It's essentially clue, only with 5 things to figure out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
GibbRS wrote:
Jrb3king wrote:
She does like clue I know. If there is a modern type who done it or something like that maybe.

There are some Clue type games. One that springs to mind is Mystery Express. It's essentially clue, only with 5 things to figure out.

There's also

Mystery of the Abbey
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lopresti
msg tools
mbmbmb
Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jrb3king wrote:

I have been looking into trying to find gaming groups in my area, I did a member search on BGG but the closest registered used is over a half HR away, which isn't a huge deal. How do I know if they see active? Also, what is the etiquette, do I just message them? Is there a dedicated forum to post looking for gamers requests?

On their profile page, look in the lower left and it tells you the last time they logged in. No point in contacting someone who hasn't logged-in in the past 2 years.
Then I usually look at their contributions, and their profile description, to get a gut feeling on if they'd be open to someone contacting them about gaming. Some people only use BGG to catalog their collection, and I probably wouldn't bother them.

As far as etiquette, yeah you could just geekmail them explaining you're looking for some people to board game with. Some prefer to meet up at a public place first to game, like a game store that has play-space, etc.
Others are fine meeting at one person's house right off the bat, whatever people feel comfortable with. Or they'll point you to some public regular gaming meet-ups. I've found some great gaming buddies over the years in various states just browsing through BGG users and contacting them. Some have even turned into actual friends beyond just board gaming.

You can also browse the guilds and post there as well asking about gaming opportunities, like for the US:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/guild/category/region/United%2...

There are also forums, including regional ones you could browse and post:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/forum/54/boardgamegeek/united-...

If you're in a rural area it might be more of a challenge though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis Brenton
United States
Brighton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some games my wife & I enjoy playing are:

Tiny Epic Galaxies
San Juan
Pinata
Ticket to Ride (especially the Switzerland map, made especially for 2-3 players)
Takenoko

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I enjoy designing / manufacturing game components and upgrades. Got a project? PM!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jrb3king wrote:

Try looking for meetups. As in Meetup groups (meetup.com). Any gaming cafes in your area?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Boyles
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
aesthetocyst wrote:
Jrb3king wrote:

Try looking for meetups. As in Meetup groups (meetup.com). Any gaming cafes in your area?

There is no gaming shop or anything where I live, which is crappy for me as it makes it difficult to meet anyone. I've posted on Craigslist with no responses. I will check out this meetup.com and see how that works. I never heard of this, thanks for suggestion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Davis
United States
Newbern
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some light games that I enjoy:

Jaipur
Kingdomino
6 Nimmt!
Patchwork
Sanssouci
Mr Jack Pocket

Co-op games
Pandemic
Forbidden Island

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Wankel engine
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
To be honest, rather than try to convert a reluctant spouse to play board games, I'd put efforts into finding gamers in your area.

Yeah, as much as gateway games are discussed around here, I've never pulled anyone through the gate. I play Ticket to Ride with non-gamers, we have fun, and we put it away. They don't run out and start their own game collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabi Games
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Rose King. We've played this for years. Easy to learn and quick to play with two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ed95005 wrote:
JohnnyDollar wrote:
To be honest, rather than try to convert a reluctant spouse to play board games, I'd put efforts into finding gamers in your area.

Yeah, as much as gateway games are discussed around here, I've never pulled anyone through the gate. I play Ticket to Ride with non-gamers, we have fun, and we put it away. They don't run out and start their own game collection.

At some point you were pulled in...

Ticket to Ride was actually the game that started my obsession. My brother picked it up a several years ago, then bought me a copy of Christmas. After a bunch of times playing it over the next month, I was started my path down board game insanity. I also got two other people more passionate about board games through Ticket to Ride.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L B
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jrb3king wrote:

First, you have twins, which is absolutely exhausting. (Congratulations, by the way!)

Second, you list a bunch of games that have fairly long play times and/ or complex rules.

What you need is something short, fun, and light that can easily be set aside or played during naps.

My top suggestion would be Fugitive since she likes Clue. It's short, easy, a little math and has a very nice feel of the inspector pursuing the criminal. Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: The Thames Murders & Other Cases is a co-op and deduction and might be another nice choice.

Other suggestions:

Lost Cities
Paperback
Qwirkle
CV
Star Realms
Jaipur
Battle Line

All quick, simple games that play very well at 2 and take less than an hour with minimal set up time.

Right now, the only game with miniatures that I can think of right now that plays nicely with 2, has simple rules, and is short is Takenoko. I know there are others, but I'm not thinking of them. It just seems like most games with lots of minis run longer or have more complex rules sets, and I really think you need to look at shorter, simpler games given those two babies. There is the Magic the Gathering Arena of the Planeswalkers board games & expansions. They can be found on sale for cheap and are okay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.