pansonic
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We (wife and I) normally play something reasonably mid-heavy/heavy, but recently have been enjoying lighter games that take half an hour or less
(Agricola All Creatures, Hanamikoji, Battle Line, Hanabi).

Which one do you think is a better game while also being good with two:
Century Road, Barenpark or Kingdomino?

Also, I know it just came out and there are not a lot of ratings and comments, but if someone played Bohnanza Duel, how is it?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have played "century spice road" and "kingdomino" but not as 2 player games. Both are very nice designs. Kingdomino is simpler and is a better intro game for non gamers. Century seems to allow deeper play and reminds me of Splendor. I think both are very good light games. With practice both should be playable in under a half hour. I have not played them with only 2 players but off hand they seem like they should play quite well at 2.

The third new light game that I have enjoyed this year is Honshū. That one might need 4 or 5 players to really shine. But two players might be just fine also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lazy Mountain

Colorado
msg tools
mb
There's something addictive about Kingdomino, I enjoy playing with my SO without much concern about scoring, though that's basic math.

We play 7x7, using the full tile set. It takes far under 30m, maybe 15-20, quite simple, can be fast. In any case, it's an easy one to put in the table. We play outside, too.... I recommend this game often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lizzie j
New Zealand
flag msg tools
look into my eyes...
mbmbmbmbmb
My boyfriend and I play Century as two players and we like it. It's not heavy, easy to set up and put away, and quick to play though it probably takes ~40 minutes. It does not have the tension of Splendor (which I think the nobles do a good job in introducing) but that also makes it ideal as a midweek game for us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven C
Canada
Stouffville
Ontario
flag msg tools
We recommend Century: Spice Road. We have played all 3 of the games over 5+ times and the one that we would constantly want to come back to is Century. It's can also be deeper than the other two depending on how much you feel like thinking about things (in my opinion). Kingdomino and Barenpark are good but leaves me wanting more.

We also just got Bohnanza Duel and enjoy it. It's not as good as Century Spice Road but it's on par with things like Kingdomino and Barenpark in my opinion. (We mostly play mid/mid-heavy euros and love ACBS).

Have fun gaming =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan K
United States
Canton
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I have about 7 games in of Kingdomino and its perfect for us. We enjoy the lightness of the game over a drink and never complain of it being too deep or not enough strategy. There are variants you can play to get more points for building a 7x7 grid, getting bonus points for having your castle exactly in the middle, or using all your pieces without discarding one. This is a light weight game, but it is designed really well. Your decisions matter and affect the other person and future turns. Great game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pansonic
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! It seems that Century Spice Road is the best choice, followed by Kingdomino. Which is a bit surprising seeing as Barenpark is so cute and patchwork-y.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pansonic
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aungmyo wrote:
We recommend Century: Spice Road. We have played all 3 of the games over 5+ times and the one that we would constantly want to come back to is Century. It's can also be deeper than the other two depending on how much you feel like thinking about things (in my opinion). Kingdomino and Barenpark are good but leaves me wanting more.

We also just got Bohnanza Duel and enjoy it. It's not as good as Century Spice Road but it's on par with things like Kingdomino and Barenpark in my opinion. (We mostly play mid/mid-heavy euros and love ACBS).

Have fun gaming =)

Great! Any other games for couples you'd recommend? (You haven't rated any games...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
pansonic wrote:
aungmyo wrote:

Have fun gaming =)

Great! Any other games for couples you'd recommend? (You haven't rated any games...)

I'd also recommend Splendor for 2. Some people enjoy Tides of Madness.

Realistically, you should buy ALL THE GAMEZ!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Walter
United States
Hutto
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
I haven't played Kindomino but barenpark is better at more than 2 imo. Though it is perfectly fine at 2. Century I think is very solitaire at 2 but tension goes up with more players. Both are very good games though.

I would also recommend Akrotiri. Great two player game. My wife also enjoys Lanterns and Alien Frontiers at 2. Mint works also plays short and is super simple and extremely portable.

Patchwork is always a winner though barenpark kinda covers the same ideas.

I hear good things about ethnos but havent got my copy played yet. I don't know the game length of it though.

With practice most of those games will play under 45min. Longest may be Alien Frontiers but at 2 it is pretty quick.

You may also want to check out coloretto if card games are you thing. It can get pretty thinky at 2. Follow that with Hanamikoji and The Blood of an Englishmen. Also check out Jaipur, Tides of Madness is better than Tides of Time IMO. So look at those also.

For non-card small games check out Mr. Jack Pocket.

All are pretty quick games.

Dennis

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven C
Canada
Stouffville
Ontario
flag msg tools
Have you guys tried the Voyages of Marco Polo? Or Orleans? Or The Castles of Burgundy? Those three games are my wife's favourites (Canadian) lol. She says she rates those at least a 9.

Clank! Hero Realms, Viticulture Essential Edition with Tuscany Essential Edition (a MUST!), Five Tribes are probably the next tier of games for us after those first ones.

Barenpark is good. It's not a bad game at all. But we just would prefer the others. Speaking of Barenpark, if you're looking for a lighweight game may I also suggest looking into SushiGo Party? It's also very good and we enjoy how you can play with 2 or with like 8.

If you haven't tried The Voyages of Marco Polo, Orleans, or COB we highly highly recommend that you try them! (They're just heavier than say kingdomino).

Oh and may I also suggest Targi. I think you guys would also enjoy that one. Plays in about 30mins and has meaningful decisions like ACBS. And something completely silly that's very very light but for some reason both my wife and I enjoy when we have just 5mins to play is Pig10. It's almost a kids game but for some reason it has it's charm with us (and only 5mins gameplay is great.) And if you happen to have 3 people I would suggest Biblios for a quick fun game.

Enjoy =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pansonic
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aungmyo wrote:
Have you guys tried the Voyages of Marco Polo? Or Orleans? Or The Castles of Burgundy? Those three games are my wife's favourites (Canadian) lol. She says she rates those at least a 9.

Clank! Hero Realms, Viticulture Essential Edition with Tuscany Essential Edition (a MUST!), Five Tribes are probably the next tier of games for us after those first ones.

Barenpark is good. It's not a bad game at all. But we just would prefer the others. Speaking of Barenpark, if you're looking for a lighweight game may I also suggest looking into SushiGo Party? It's also very good and we enjoy how you can play with 2 or with like 8.

If you haven't tried The Voyages of Marco Polo, Orleans, or COB we highly highly recommend that you try them! (They're just heavier than say kingdomino).

Oh and may I also suggest Targi. I think you guys would also enjoy that one. Plays in about 30mins and has meaningful decisions like ACBS. And something completely silly that's very very light but for some reason both my wife and I enjoy when we have just 5mins to play is Pig10. It's almost a kids game but for some reason it has it's charm with us (and only 5mins gameplay is great.) And if you happen to have 3 people I would suggest Biblios for a quick fun game.

Enjoy =)

Thank you for the answer! Sorry, I sort of lost this thread, as I am bad at keeping track of BGG stuff (I usually bookmark bgg pages, but I forgot this time).
Out of the games you named we do have Targi, Biblios, Marco Polo, Castles of Burgundy, Five Tribes and Sushi Go. All are nice games, no doubt (though, Biblios, in my opinion, is not that great with two).
I've looked at Orleans many times, too. I really like the visuals. Unfortunately it is usually described as the dryest solitaire possible, and we tend to like at least some interaction in our games.

Since I started this thread we have bought Kingdomino. It was a lightning deal on Amazon, and we found it to be quite good (7x7 only)! I like that it sort of forces you to observe what your opponent is doing, otherwise you are guaranteed to lose.

The games that we have been enjoying lately are Hanamikoji and Le Havre. If you're looking for something that plays very well with 2 and haven't played them, I would definitely recommend these!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan K
United States
Canton
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you get another set, you can play Kingdomino 9x9!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played the above games BUT I do play a lot of fillers. If you're interested, I would recommend Splendor, Hey That's My Fish, Lost Cities, and Kahuna.

Splendor: I usually play with three players and a game takes around 30 minutes. So I imagine with two people, it would take even less time. The theme is totally missing but it's a fun, set collection game.

Hey, That's My Fish: This is a quick, but deceptively simple, strategy game. You have to think three or four steps of your opponent. Otherwise, your penguins are going to be stranded with nowhere to go. It's a lot of fun and it's also just really cute.

Lost Cities: There are definitely some strategic elements to this game that add some depth, but it is still a relatively simple and quick game overall.

Kahuna: There is a lot of strategy and planning involved in this game. But when you see it all coming together, it's wonderful. This game sounds intense, but takes probably 30-40 minutes in total.

Oh and Patchwork is fun too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.