Stephen Cooper
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why assume?

Page 12, under Lock wrote:
When a lock is present on a card, you must pass this test (...). You cannot leave the card before you've successfully defeated it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Scooperman wrote:
Why assume?

Page 12, under Lock wrote:
When a lock is present on a card, you must pass this test (...). You cannot leave the card before you've successfully defeated it.

Leaving space vs location was mixed up before.

Once there is something incorrectly stated in the rules, I end up doubting lots of things and not trusting the rules.

So I try to get verification on rules I normally wouldn't.

The fact that this is a once and done game makes me extra cautious as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game has been out long enough that the basic rules are settled. Check the Official FAQ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scooperman wrote:
The game has been out long enough that the basic rules are settled. Check the Official FAQ.

Perhaps this was true, but if I still need to use a forum FAQ, I'm going to keep doubts. Perhaps the doubts are unjustified, but I was just trying to answer the question you posed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure, but this query was redundant, you cannot leave a locked card until the test is defeated, changing space or location doesn't enter the equation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Stiles
United States
Brandon
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mfl134 wrote:
Scooperman wrote:

Perhaps this was true, but if I still need to use a forum FAQ, I'm going to keep doubts. Perhaps the doubts are unjustified, but I was just trying to answer the question you posed.

I can't follow this: you doubt the rules, you doubt the forum FAQ, but you will accept an answer from the very same forum from whomever will reply? For someone with a Spock avatar, that is most illogical.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SaintHax wrote:
mfl134 wrote:
Scooperman wrote:

I can't follow this: you doubt the rules, you doubt the forum FAQ, but you will accept an answer from the very same forum from whomever will reply? For someone with a Spock avatar, that is most illogical.

Logically silence on a topic doesn't hold weight for me here. Its exclusion from an FAQ could mean the rules are correct, or it could mean nobody asked the question yet.

Since both are possible in the world as I see it, asking the question is quite logical.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scooperman wrote:
Sure, but this query was redundant, you cannot leave a locked card until the test is defeated, changing space or location doesn't enter the equation.

Per the fallable rules though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mfl134 wrote:
SaintHax wrote:
mfl134 wrote:
Scooperman wrote:

Logically silence on a topic doesn't hold weight for me here. Its exclusion from an FAQ could mean the rules are correct, or it could mean nobody asked the question yet.

Since both are possible in the world as I see it, asking the question is quite logical.

I'd also note that the rules could have mentioned the case of being trapped when describing changing locations. But they didn't. That lack of clarity also had me questioning the rule.

Having now played the game, I agree that it is very likely being trapped in a room was meant to prevent travel between locations. But due to the nature of the game and spoilers it wasn't possible to have that context while reading the rule spoiler free.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mfl134 wrote:
mfl134 wrote:
SaintHax wrote:
mfl134 wrote:
Scooperman wrote:

I'd also note that the rules could have mentioned the case of being trapped when describing changing locations. But they didn't. That lack of clarity also had me questioning the rule.

Having now played the game, I agree that it is very likely being trapped in a room was meant to prevent travel between locations. But due to the nature of the game and spoilers it wasn't possible to have that context while reading the rule spoiler free.

This is straying into the territory of "well, the rules didn't say I can't do that, so I can". I fail to see how the rule "you cannot leave a card before successfully defeating [a test with a lock]" is not clear, it is presented in isolation and absent any reference to spaces or locations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scooperman wrote:
mfl134 wrote:
mfl134 wrote:
SaintHax wrote:
mfl134 wrote:
Scooperman wrote:

This is straying into the territory of "well, the rules didn't say I can't do that, so I can". I fail to see how the rule "you cannot leave a card before successfully defeating [a test with a lock]" is not clear, it is presented in isolation and absent any reference to spaces or locations.

Perhaps. As I said, the written rules unfortunately don't have the credibility they need for it to be quite that.

But I'm not disputing the rules here, just trying to explain why I asked the question (and expand on my logic for those who care)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.