United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
My hands are small, I know, but they're not yours, they are my own
mbmbmbmbmb
Since the rules don't allow discarding unusable cards, nor using them to no effect, and the maneuvering rules do not allow backing up to increase distance between the Enterprise and the threat tokens on the board:

Does anyone have workable strategies for when every crew's hand is pretty worthless (even with trading), consisting mostly of unusable phaser cards? This can happen after the last mission has been fulfilled, so no new threats are appearing, but there are still threats remaining on the board.

My solution ended up being to let the remaining close-range threats break down my shields then use any Security Team cards (which can be used at any time by any player) to lessen the damage to the Enterprise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Your solution sounds right. After a few turns, the (non-Tholian) ships should advance, board, and thus disappear.

Note that as you're about to finish that final mission, any Tholians on the board should become your top priority. If you end up with a Tholian at close range, and no way to hit it, you'll end in a stalemate. The community consensus seems to say would be a loss, and I agree.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
My hands are small, I know, but they're not yours, they are my own
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the advice, Kevin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.