pilum pilum
France
flag msg tools
mb
1) Sentry.
For me, when a model use a sentry token, this model is able to make only "1 AP cost" actions.
Am I right ?

2) Sentry again.
When a model has a sentry token , he can :
a. Make an action (for 1 AP only) immediately after another model completes a basic or extended action.
b. Make an action (for 1 AP only) , when all the normal activations have ended for this turn.

Am I right ?

3) Tactical move.
In the description of this action there is this sentence :
"...The active Model may instantly use up a Sentry Action after moving,
but before any other Models that may want to respond to
a Tactical Move (A) with their own Sentry Actions."
I don't understand this sentence. Could someone help me?

4) Large ping token
For me, the goal of a ping token is to bring some fog of war and uncertainty.
Some Alien models have very large ping tokens (queen, crusher, etc...).
Other Alien models have small ping tokens (infant, stalker, etc...).
What is the interest to have recognizable ping tokens, if you use ping tokens in order to hide informations ?
Perhaps I am missing something ?
Note 1 : So, I created my own set of ping tokens in order to resolve this problem.
Note 2 : There is the same problem for the Predator faction : the hellhounds have small ping tokens, compared to the Predator warriors or hunters.

5) Resilient.
Resilient is a skill of the Alien queen.
Here is its description :
"Models with the Resilient (P) Special Skill
may never receive more than one wound
per failed Armour or Con Test."

What is the interest of this skill ? Because when a model fails an Armour test, this model always loses 1 wound... Perhaps I am missing something ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carter J Burke
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've raised 4) about the ping token size too. The official response was you need to know the ping size for calculating how full a tile is and ensure it doesn't pass its limit (e.g. Max 8 units on some tiles).

BUT

I think you are 100% right.

To add to this mess, if you own the second edition of the game, the expansions use a token with a slightly different finish. So those facehuggers you have mixed in with alien warriors... not such a threatening unknown hoard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pilum pilum
France
flag msg tools
mb
Concerning the point 4, the solution is simple :
a. When a ping token is replaced by a model in a specific tile, and if the Occupation Points limit is violated in this tile, simply use the "Engaging by displacing" rule of page 31 of the 2nd edition rulebook.
In the rare cases where the adjacent tiles are also fully occupied, apply again the "Engaging by displacing" rule, and so on...
In the page 61 of this rulebook, "10.3.5 hive spawn for Last Stand version", the same advice is given if there is not enough space when a ping token is spawned in a "Breach Location" tile.

b. If a token wants to enter or finish into an Air vent tile : this token must be flipped in order to see if the token doesn't violate rules about Air vent tile.
In 99% of cases, a "small base" model, or a facehugger, will be unveiled. This is not important for the fog of war, because the crucial question is "where is the queen, the royal guard, the predalien, or other big guys, etc...".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raphael
Germany
Saarland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pilum2008 wrote:

1) Sentry.
For me, when a model use a sentry token, this model is able to make only "1 AP cost" actions.
Am I right ?

2) Sentry again.
a. Make an action (for 1 AP only) immediately after another model completes a basic or extended action.
b. Make an action (for 1 AP only) , when all the normal activations have ended for this turn.

Am I right ?

1) Yes

2) a. Yes
b. Yes

pilum2008 wrote:

3) Tactical move.

3) After a model uses a basic or extended action all other models with a sentry token may use it to do something. If more than one player wants to use a Sentry action at that time all players use them one at a time in Initiative order.
But in the case of a Marine model doing a Tactical Move(he gets a Sentry token and then moves one tile) that particular Marine gets priority for using his Sentry before all other models/players can use theirs.
This is useful for stepping in LOS of an enemy with a Sentry token and being able to attack first and kill him before he can retaliate.

pilum2008 wrote:

4) Large ping token
What is the interest to have recognizable ping tokens, if you use ping tokens in order to hide informations ?
Note 1 : So, I created my own set of ping tokens in order to resolve this problem.
Note 2 : There is the same problem for the Predator faction : the hellhounds have small ping tokens, compared to the Predator warriors or hunters.

4) As far as I understood this is because of game-balance and in-universe thematic reasons.
From a thematic point-of-view this is because all three factions have means to detect the approximate size of enemy lifeforms.
The balance aspect means that you cant completely hide something like a queen between your Infants and completely overrun an enemy force because they could not anticipate the composition in any way. But when forces get bigger and your army consists of multiple models of varying sizes including multiple models on a large base you can at least somewhat hide some information and mislead your opponents.

pilum2008 wrote:

5) Resilient.
Resilient is a skill of the Alien quen.

What is the interest of this skill ? Because when a model fails an Armour test, this model always loses 1 wound... Perhaps I am missing something ?

5) Your right that most of the time models lose one wound per failed armor test at max. But there are some exceptions like the Grenade Launcher of the Marines which gets used exactly for the reason that it can inflict a lot of damage on a single target with a lot of wounds. The queen is immune to this and always gets one wound per attack at max.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pilum pilum
France
flag msg tools
mb
Ok, thank you for your answer, Raphael !

A) Concerning the ping tokens, I will use my own set of ping tokens, because, like a youtuber/gamer said :
"I spent a lot of time to glue and paint my expensive miniatures ! And these beautiful miniatures just wait next to the tiles, and they are waiting, waiting...the ping ! It is ridiculous !".

In fact, this is ridiculous, ...unless the ping tokens have a strong effect on the game.
I think Prodos has made an error about the size of their tokens.

B) About the the Tactical Move : Here is an example, in order to see if I understand this action correctly.
A marine (called Donald) makes a Tactical Move (for 2 APs).
First , a Sentry token is put next him. Second, Donald moves.
Just after he moved, Donald sees a Predator in LOS (with a Sentry Token), and also an Alien Warrior (with no Sentry token).
If I understood well, Donald trumps the Predator's answer to the tactical Move.
So Donald may use immediately his own Sentry token in order to shoot either on the Predator, or on the Warrior (as Donald sees fit).
After the shooting action made by Donald, the Predator may use his own Sentry Token against Donald.
Am I right ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantinos Lekkas
Greece
Karditsa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pilum2008 wrote:
1) Sentry.
Am I right ?

Cannot make Interract actions.

pilum2008 wrote:
2) Sentry again.

Am I right ?

Yup

pilum2008 wrote:
3) Tactical move.

When you complete a Tactical Move, you gain a Sentry Token. Since you completed an action, another player can discard a Sentry token to Shoot at a model you just Tactical Moved.
This rule says that, immediately after you perform the Tactical Move, you are the first to decide whether to use your Sentry Token.

Example. Predator Hunter has Sentry, and you are behind a corner. You use Tactical Move with your Smartgunner and shoot at the Pred, before he has an option to use his Sentry Token. EAT LEAD!

pilum2008 wrote:
4) Large ping token

As correctly said, the ping tokens are reminders of base size (so Occupation Points). The only "issue" is the Crusher/Queen, where they have different. However they are rarely in the same list.
Added value is extra abilities such as Aliens choosing whether to hide when revealed.
Unfortunatelly, the Hellhounds is the only model Prodos had designed as 30mm for Predators. You will find some interesting stuff at the official facebook group, under #expansion1

pilum2008 wrote:
5) Resilient.
Resilient is a skill of the Alien queen.

You are missing the Grenade Launcher and any potential expansions.

Cheers,
K.

Edit:
Raphael gave good answers, I did not read them before answering.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raphael
Germany
Saarland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pilum2008 wrote:
Ok, thank you for your answer, Raphael !

A) Concerning the ping tokens, I will use my own set of ping tokens, because, like a youtuber/gamer said :
"I spent a lot of time to glue and paint my expensive miniatures ! And these beautiful miniatures just wait next to the tiles, and they are waiting, waiting...the ping ! It is ridiculous !".

In fact, this is ridiculous, ...unless the ping tokens have a strong effect on the game.
I think Prodos has made an error about the size of their tokens.

B) About the the Tactical Move : Here is an example, in order to see if I understand this action correctly.
A marine (called Donald) makes a Tactical Move (for 2 APs).
First , a Sentry token is put next him. Second, Donald moves.
Just after he moved, Donald sees a Predator in LOS (with a Sentry Token), and also an Alien Warrior (with no Sentry token).
If I understood well, Donald trumps the Predator's answer to the tactical Move.
So Donald may use immediately his own Sentry token in order to shoot either on the Predator, or on the Warrior (as Donald sees fit).
After the shooting action made by Donald, the Predator may use his own Sentry Token against Donald.
Am I right ?

Yep exactly

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.