8 Posts

The 7th Continent» Forums » General

Subject: 7th continent give away and trying to raise money rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Sanders
msg tools
hello

i'll make long story short here, my best friends baby is not well, he has got leukemia. he need to go through a several medical procedures which cost a lot. i am trying to help them as much as i can so i decided to give away the game while he is still on the ship. but i wanna do in a way that can raise as much money as possible and not just selling it on ebay for 300$, maybe a shuffle or something between all the donors.

what do you thinks about it and where should i post it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Hughes
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately, with the announcement of a second kickstarter campaign and printing, your copy has lost much of its value. If you are offered $300 for it, I suggest you take it.

Maybe a gofund me or patreon. A lot of people are getting assistance with their medical bills that way.

Good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
There is the Jack Vasel Memorial fund, which basically helps gamers in need. That might be a place to go and look for help, if applicable.

Also, while the game might not be worth that much anymore, it is ALWAYS a good idea to auction the game off here in the fora (don't know where, exactly, but I think another friendly soul can point you in the right direction), and if it is for a good cause (such as this), it might draw quite some money.

There are very generous people here on the fora, with the means, too, and if they see a reason to, they are glad to help. Also, designers have been known to jump in and help out, aswell...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Username1980 wrote:
hello

i'll make long story short here, my best friends baby is not well, he has got leukemia. he need to go through a several medical procedures which cost a lot. i am trying to help them as much as i can so i decided to give away the game while he is still on the ship. but i wanna do in a way that can raise as much money as possible and not just selling it on ebay for 300$, maybe a shuffle or something between all the donors.

what do you thinks about it and where should i post it?

A raffle could be a good idea, but you should probably specify a minimum total, so that you don't end up having to give the game away for a total of $20 if it doesn't gain much support.

As a parent I can relate to how horrible they must be feeling, while of course not really understanding it at all, since it's the kind of thing you can't grasp until you're unfortunate enough to be in the situation.

I'd be happy to chip in a few bucks, whether there's a prize to be won or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dumon wrote:
There is the Jack Vasel Memorial fund, which basically helps gamers in need. That might be a place to go and look for help, if applicable.
This is definitely worth trying (especially if you're in the US), whether you end up doing the raffle or not.
Maybe you could even do an auction in the name of the Jack Vasel Memorial Fund if you talk to them? The fund is well-known here on BGG and people would know that the money would go to a trustworthy and support-worthy place if they're involved.

All the best for your friends' child!
I have first-hand experience supporting a loved one through chemotherapy (though young adult, not child), and I wish everyone strength for the difficult time ahead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Sanders
msg tools
thanks for your answers and i'll try to reach Jack Vasel Memorial fund (i'm not from the us) to "sponsor" an auction or a raffle, or at least get there advice how to do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italian Seismologist
United Kingdom
norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
[The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was not convincing people he didn't exist, but convincing them that he was God.
mbmbmbmbmb
im pretty sure a raffle would easily bring in a fair bit of cash. biggest issue is postage of course, but you could easily sell a hundred tickets at $5 each i reckon. hell I'd buy a ticket and i already have the game (soon, anyway).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Boyen
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
femgoth wrote:
im pretty sure a raffle would easily bring in a fair bit of cash. biggest issue is postage of course, but you could easily sell a hundred tickets at $5 each i reckon. hell I'd buy a ticket and i already have the game (soon, anyway).

biggest issue with a raffle is not the postage, biggest issue is to abide all the laws concerning a raffle. This is considered a form of gambling, and many countries have different rules about those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.