GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

9,826 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Art and Graphic Design

Subject: Poll 2: More Box Art Feedback Wanted rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jackson Pope
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hiya all,

I posted a couple of box art options here a couple of days ago and got loads of good feedback (https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1808314/poll-feedback-wante...). The general consensus was that both needed improvement. I tried the options suggested by Pawel, but I struggled to make the wrap around sides work, so instead I just took the general feedback (too busy, too many clashes of style, needs to be bolder) and came up with a couple of new options. Old options are on the left, new on the right:

So which is your favourite and why?

Poll: Which box art option do you prefer?
Preferred option:
Top left
Top right
Bottom left
Bottom right
      30 answers
Poll created by CaptainJax

Thanks again for your input!

Cheers,

Jack
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I enjoy designing / manufacturing game components and upgrades. Got a project? PM!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For the moment I'll only ask ...

What does the back of the box look like?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jackson Pope
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aesthetocyst wrote:

Hiya J,

I can't post a picture right now, but: title along the top with the therapy icons underneath. Then a block of text (hook and basic game explanation) with the company logo and info icons from the front at the bottom.

That's still in flux though.

Cheers,

Jack

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
I play games
badge
Seven
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to see the top right with the gradient of the top left.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Ofiesh
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had not seen the poll before. Top left was my first choice. I like the two-color fade effect. But it is a tad busy. Top right was my second pick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jackson Pope
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SpaceAlien wrote:
I had not seen the poll before. Top left was my first choice. I like the two-color fade effect. But it is a tad busy. Top right was my second pick.

Thanks Val! I'm going off the fade effect, I'm worried it looks a bit tacky.

Cheers, Jack

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I enjoy designing / manufacturing game components and upgrades. Got a project? PM!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CaptainJax wrote:
aesthetocyst wrote:

I can't post a picture right now, but: title along the top with the therapy icons underneath. Then a block of text (hook and basic game explanation) with the company logo and info icons from the front at the bottom.

So the back is fairly simple, and repeating some information from the front. Cool.

It's a tiny box (right?), so you've got to make some tough choices. A box design is like a billboard design, the first read has to work at a distance and catch eyes passing by. It takes large, bold elements to catch those eyes.

With larger boxes you have the luxury of a second read. Enough space to place additional items that are only meant to be read up close. With a small box you've got to distill down to the essence and almost certainly make some painful choices.

Looking back to your first poll, the options on the left are the exact same choices from that poll. Most of that excellent feedback was left behind.

The top right is progress, the best option you've presented. Leave the player count, time and age to the back of the box. Leave the 6 icons and your logo to the edge. Use a bolder san-serif type for the subtitle and your credit.

Having 2 opposing colors really communicates the duality in the game. The gradient however, suggests they are blending together, and, unless you throw white or another color in there, red+blue = brown.

You said red and blue were your card colors and you had trouble with the wraparound. Would you like to see a red v blue mockup with the wrap? I have some time tomorrow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jackson Pope
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aesthetocyst wrote:
CaptainJax wrote:
aesthetocyst wrote:

So the back is fairly simple, and repeating some information from the front. Cool.

It's a tiny box (right?), so you've got to make some tough choices. A box design is like a billboard design, the first read has to work at a distance and catch eyes passing by. It takes large, bold elements to catch those eyes.

With larger boxes you have the luxury of a second read. Enough space to place additional items that are only meant to be read up close. With a small box you've got to distill down to the essence and almost certainly make some painful choices.

Looking back to your first poll, the options on the left are the exact same choices from that poll. Most of that excellent feedback was left behind.

The top right is progress, the best option you've presented. Leave the player count, time and age to the back of the box. Leave the 6 icons and your logo to the edge. Use a bolder san-serif type for the subtitle and your credit.

Having 2 opposing colors really communicates the duality in the game. The gradient however, suggests they are blending together, and, unless you throw white or another color in there, red+blue = brown.

You said red and blue were your card colors and you had trouble with the wraparound. Would you like to see a red v blue mockup with the wrap? I have some time tomorrow

Hiya J,

Yes, small box - approx 5x3x3/4".

The options on the left are the options from a couple of days ago, I wanted to see if anyone preferred them to the new 'improved' ones on the right.

If you are willing to mock up a wrap-around box with the multiple colours that would be awesome - I'd love to see what someone more skilled than I comes up with!

Cheers,

Jack
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played around as promised. Keeping in mind I don't know what the cards look like, I hope there's some inspiring elements here.

Sticking with the red and blue:

Inverting the titles to white:

Switching to a black background (may be completely irrelevant if card don't match this)

If black is too severe, maybe another color works ... if the game has a 3rd color in its scheme. In the last thread you said no orange, purple or green. Well, purple is the secondary created by red and purple!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jackson Pope
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hiya J,

Thanks very much for those, they look great. I'm currently working on a new version of my Bottom Right, but I really like the black one of yours too, so I'll try to play with too.

Might do a third poll between the two resulting ones!

Thanks again for your help - they are great.

Cheers,

Jack

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jackson Pope
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And one final poll: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1810031/poll-iii-final-batt...

Cheers,

Jack

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.