5 Posts

Zombies!!!» Forums » Variants

Subject: Our HouseRules. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Qystein Wibe
Norway
flag msg tools
My gaming group often asks me to bring Zombies!!!, we enjoy it, and really find it to be quite a funny "beer game". Aka not hard competitive, no hard feelings.
Other people who play with us every now and then tend to agree with our rules. And I know about 2 other groups that have adopted our rules so far.So why not share them with you guys

First and most important rule. Never give the game to anyone, ever! Always go for "a theoretical possibility to win", so always prolong the game over giving anyone the win. Grudges are a part of the game, but only for things that happen in this specific game in this sitting.

Then the actually houserules:

-You start with 5 bullets, 3 hearts, and 3cards. But if you die, you start over without any cards, only hearts and bullets. You are not a part of the game until you have started your first turn, or until it's your turn again after dying.
Maximum 5hearts, sky is the limit on bullets.

-You can play any cards in your hand, at any time. This means that you can play 3cards after each other in one round. But you cant play if you are dead, or have not started your first turn.

-You only get to draw one single card at the end of your round. If you already have 3cards, then you have to discard or play a card to be able to draw a card. This is outside of trough cards, the only way to get new cards.

Dynamite and breakthrough always do its damage/effect, you only roll to see if you damage yourself.

-We play for the helicopter alone, the only way to win, is to leave.

-Zombies on the helipad cant leave the helipad for any reason. Cards or zombie movement. They are attracted to the sound of the helicopter.

-Zombies occupying the same space as a player on the helipad, can not for any reason be moved of the player until they are killed.
This means that cards such as: No brains here, Alternate Food Source etc, or any card or zombie movement can take the zombie away. You have to kill or run away from the zombie.

-To win the game, you must stand in the middle of the helipad at the start of your round following another player(you can't win with a take a extra turn card), and without a zombie occupying the same space as you. You are not taking of with a zombie inside your helicopter.

-Other players standing on the same space as you on the helipad when you take off loose. There are no 2 winners in this game!

As you probably can see, we have had our arguments over this game. But all in good fun.
Being able to play as many cards as you have, but having a restrain on how many cards you get in makes the game flow much easier, and with less tension for who have played this round etc. And almost all cards get played this way, witch is a bonus in my book.

What do you think? I recommend people to try it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it! The play all your cards in one turn thing sounds intriguing.

We have one House Rule. Roll TWO dice for moving, and discard the lower die. Speeds up the game a lot.

I have one hard learned rule. NO MULLIGANS! EVERY time I've let someone take back a card, or play one out of sequence ("I meant to play this before you moved") it has turned out badly. Like, divorce badly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Qystein Wibe
Norway
flag msg tools
Yeah, that's kinda why we started to play it that way. And it works, since we also limit it to one card in each turn. So we don't really play more cards this way. And the cards played are of all flavors, not always the most powerful of 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Guild
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like them too!

The one card per round rule really takes some fun out of the game as well as the 25 kills rule. The game still does take a little too long though.

We've mixed in the roles from Deadtime stories for regular games. Giving players a boost to something makes the game more interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Qystein Wibe
Norway
flag msg tools
Yeah, it can take some time when you play with our ending. But the ending becomes much more intensive this way. Not just one person reaching the helipad, killing 2 zombies on the way in, and thats it.

The one card in is a necessary if you can play all the cards you have, or else it becomes a spamfest of cards.
The rule also makes alot of cards more fun and meaningful. "In the zone" (draw one card for each 6rolled) is actually worth something. And "weekend pass denied" (discard your hand hand) becomes on of the most powerfull cards.
The "draw 1, play as many cards as you have" rule saved the game for us, it was not really that popular in the group until we added it. The other rules are just flavor added over time.

Hmm, we dont have the Deadtime stories exp. Sounds interesting, must look into that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.