Axis Empires: Dai Senso!» Forums » Rules

Subject: Imperial Directive question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking at the Imperial Directive : Naval Projects card.

Japan can achieve a Production Success on a 1, 3, or 5 on a d6. This seems strange because when Japan is doing well (3 VP Axis Tide=+3 DRM), Political DRM make it almost impossible for them to get a 1 result and very likely to get a 6+ result.

The result is that it is difficult to get a Production Success when Japan is winning, but easier when Japan is losing. Is this intended by the design or should rolls on this card table be unmodified?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uwe A. Redjac
China
Beijing
Beijing
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The effect of the table is that the later the card is played, the better the chance of success becomes. In game terms that is a push-your-luck dynamic. You can try to rush it and get the weapon early, but the chance is lower. Or you can bide your time, but then it will be available only that much later.

Background story wise it is much the same. You can rush the development, which may lead to failure or you can give the project more time to work out all the glitches and teething problems in order to succeed.

I believe this is by design.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Hanna
United States
Eastbourne, England (Yankee go home!)
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What year is it? Are you taking into account the USCL level drm? For example if it's 1944 the USCL level is usually -2 by then, meaning the net drm is only +1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honosbinda wrote:
What year is it? Are you taking into account the USCL level drm? For example if it's 1944 the USCL level is usually -2 by then, meaning the net drm is only +1.

Right. So a 1 is impossible. So I only have a 2 in 6 chance of getting it. And my alternative is the Bushido Table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Hanna
United States
Eastbourne, England (Yankee go home!)
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well as Uwe indicates and as you surmised, this is by design. If the Japanese are doing really well this late in the war, then there would be less incentive to put all that money into a risky development project at this stage.

Note also that Chemical Weapons and Convoy Strategy have a greater chance of success and don't require the difficult prerequisite 2nd Navy Expansion. But since you did play the 2nd Navy Expansion, this would be the one to go for!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool.

I just wanted to be sure that it was a feature and not a mistake I was making!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Prowell
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
The table on that card is very much by design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Fridy
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Honosbinda wrote:
Well as Uwe indicates and as you surmised, this is by design. If the Japanese are doing really well this late in the war, then there would be less incentive to put all that money into a risky development project at this stage.

Note also that Chemical Weapons and Convoy Strategy have a greater chance of success and don't require the difficult prerequisite 2nd Navy Expansion. But since you did play the 2nd Navy Expansion, this would be the one to go for!

I remember a computer game called PTO, it was a game by the Romance of the Three Kingdoms computer game people about WWII in the Pacific.

I was playing Japan, things are going great in Early 1942, just like history. So at the command staff meeting, I requested better carrier aircraft research done.

"Why do we need that? We have the best fighters!" was the response. My request was denied. I also had my request for better antiaircraft guns turned down because the American aircraft were "not a real threat."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.