Dominion: Empires» Forums » Rules

Subject: Archive set-aside cards add order rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dennis Haneline
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
When playing Archive, does the "Set aside the top 3 cards" mean set them aside as an ordered stack or is this basically a shorthand for 'set aside the top card three times'?

In essence, is there a restriction on adding the cards to your hand in the same order they were on your deck?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goldfarb
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a shorthand. At the start of your next three turns, you can take whichever of the three cards you think will help you most.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Contig the fallen
United States
flag msg tools
Keen to the scent -- the hunt is my muse. A means to an end, this path that I choose
badge
Wake the White Wolf! Remembrance At Last (by Miracle of Sound)
mbmbmbmbmb
I mean they can still be in a stack if you want, but you're allowed to look through the stack to pick one now and the next two turns.

You can even pick one that doesn't help you or one that only helps you a little.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goldfarb wrote:
It's a shorthand. At the start of your next three turns, you can take whichever of the three cards you think will help you most.
Technically only two, since you take 1 immediately, and only two go on the archive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
contiguity wrote:
You can even pick one that doesn't help you or one that only helps you a little.

+1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Haneline
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
AmberDragon wrote:
David Goldfarb wrote:
Technically only two, since you take 1 immediately, and only two go on the archive.

Basically, yes. But I don't think I can agree with you completely on this part, though. In essence, you are correct in that it will basically be immediate but all three cards do get set aside first. This is crucial if there is some effect that occurs upon a card getting set aside. I am not sure if something currently exists in that regard though. But it would seem this is Donald being forward-thinking so when such an item exists in the future no issue will arise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. K.
Germany
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
... while letting you choose the order in which you'll draw the three cards it gives you. (http://wiki.dominionstrategy.com/index.php/Archive)

Maybe it would have been better to post this thread in the forum of the expansion "Empires".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Haneline
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Thanks, everybody. I believe this card is THE only card that sets aside multiple cards at once, at least to my knowledge.

This question arose between me and my wife. She was thinking that since the 'set aside' action was done on the 'top 3 cards' there was some merit to the concept of it happening as a block, which could mean that the order was kept intact and then you added the cards from the top as the turns progressed. The similarity in the wording of "Discard 2 cards" from Inn further kept the ambiguity alive since that is definitely a different resolution than "Discard down to 3 cards" from Militia(understandably so).

I thought the separate and concise definition of "set aside" in the rules answered things quite well but we agreed to post to the boards and see what the prevailing winds brought us

Thanks, again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Haneline
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
jonnylander wrote:
Quote:
... while letting you choose the order in which you'll draw the three cards it gives you. (http://wiki.dominionstrategy.com/index.php/Archive)

Maybe it would have been better to post this thread in the forum of the expansion "Empires".

That is true. I am unable to find that forum. I definitely don't claim to be a forum expert lol. Could you provide the link for it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drhane wrote:
jonnylander wrote:
Quote:

That is true. I am unable to find that forum. I definitely don't claim to be a forum expert lol. Could you provide the link for it?

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/192951/domi...
Generally, type in the name of the base game + expansion in the BGG search box.

It's better to type in less if you're lazy or not sure about spelling. For example, a search on "Dominion Emp"

drhane wrote:
Thanks, everybody. I believe this card is THE only card that sets aside multiple cards at once, at least to my knowledge.
Library has the potential to set aside A LOT of cards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Haneline
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
ackmondual wrote:

True but I mean the first card to set aside multiple cards that don't merely get discarded upon resolution of the action

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drhane wrote:
ackmondual wrote:

True but I mean the first card to set aside multiple cards that don't merely get discarded upon resolution of the action

Gear, Golem, Island, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Haneline
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
ackmondual wrote:
drhane wrote:
jonnylander wrote:
Quote:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/192951/domi...
Generally, type in the name of the base game + expansion in the BGG search box.

It's better to type in less if you're lazy or not sure about spelling. For example, a search on "Dominion Emp"

Ahhh I was on that page before but merely didn't scroll down far enough to see the forums listed.

To quote Jeff Daniels in RV: "I am filled with chagrin!" Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Haneline
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
LastFootnote wrote:
drhane wrote:
ackmondual wrote:

Gear, Golem, Island, etc.

Gear: yes - but both cards go to your hand at same time - no order involved at all
Golem: no - cards are only revealed here, not set aside and the two actions take place immediately
Island: no - only sets aside one additional card besides the Island itself and they never go to your hand

I guess my intention was to mean that Archive is the only card I am aware of that sets aside multiple cards(besides itself) that do not go straight to discard AND that there is some semblance of order involved since you get to choose the order in which you will add them to your hand.

The order in which they can be drawn is what caused our original debate to begin with. My wife asserts that this capability allows a great advantage over having to draw them in deck order to which my reply was "yes, that is the purpose of the card" lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Haneline
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
jonnylander wrote:
Quote:

I am totally cool with moving this to that forum. But I don't know exactly how to accomplish that. Could someone either do it or give me the steps? Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
drhane wrote:
I am totally cool with moving this to that forum. But I don't know exactly how to accomplish that. Could someone either do it or give me the steps? Thanks.

Click the red X near the top of this page, then select Wrong Forum. Once it gets enough of those, a moderator will usually move it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
drhane wrote:
When playing Archive, does the "Set aside the top 3 cards" mean set them aside as an ordered stack or is this basically a shorthand for 'set aside the top card three times'?

In essence, is there a restriction on adding the cards to your hand in the same order they were on your deck?
From the rule book:

Quote:
Archive: You look at three cards, and get one now, one next turn,
and one the turn after that. Put the set-aside cards under Archive.
If you play two Archives, they get separate sets of cards. If you
Throne Room an Archive, keep the sets of cards separate; you get
one from each each turn. If there are fewer than three cards, just
set aside what you can, and Archive will run out of cards faster and
still be discarded the turn it has no cards left.

To me, "get one now" means that I get to choose. Why look otherwise?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Haneline
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Whizkid wrote:
drhane wrote:

From the rule book:

Quote:
Archive: You look at three cards, and get one now, one next turn,
and one the turn after that. Put the set-aside cards under Archive.
If you play two Archives, they get separate sets of cards. If you
Throne Room an Archive, keep the sets of cards separate; you get
one from each each turn. If there are fewer than three cards, just
set aside what you can, and Archive will run out of cards faster and
still be discarded the turn it has no cards left.

To me, "get one now" means that I get to choose. Why look otherwise?

I totally agree with you. She wanted me to get some more verification just to be sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.