United Kingdom
Ely
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A quick update for July:

(1) Blitz. Progress on Wing Leader: Blitz is going well. The changes made in last month’s playtest release have had a dramatic effect on balance. I’ve just issued a new release with some tweaks in it, but the good news is that the number of tweaks were few. We’re in the place where we seem to be fine-tuning.

Just to be clear on the nature of the issues, the Drive on Kiev campaign is VERY asymmetric. The set-up is that the Germans are qualitatively superior to the Soviets, but as the campaign grinds on they fall quantitively behind. In truth, the Germans give the Soviets a savage beating, and in the early campaign the exchange ratios are very high. Soviet players have to get used to taking a licking and then coming back for more—theirs is a patient game of taking opportunities and wringing out small victories here and there.

The problem we were having with balance hinged on the fact that German strength was pitched a little too high, which had knock-on effects throughout the campaign, not least in the way it made it easy for the Germans to rack up Campaign Victory Points and difficult for the Soviets to get CVP of their own. As the CVP influence the German advance rate, we were seeing the Germans completely steamroller the Soviets. The changes seem to be reducing the German rate of CVP capture and increasing that of the Soviets, though in the new release I’ve eased the German late-game advance rates somewhat. Most importantly, the campaign is starting to generate draws rather than German decisive wins, and this is ALL GOOD.

(2) New Markers. I delivered some Wing Leader marker counters for C3i Nr.31. These include some extra copies of existing markers (more parafrags) and new markers that were requested, such as Recon mission and Strafing mission markers. There are additional bomb hit markers to complement those in Wing Leader: Blitz.

(3) New Variant Game. Prof. Phil Sabin has long been a supporter of the hobby and a fan of my games. For Nightfighter he made a jolly set of solo rules. And for Wing Leader he’s developed a new tactical game that uses the Wing Leader counters and map. The rules are titled Dogfight and you can download them from my website here: http://www.airbattle.co.uk/w_downloads.html

Phil said he’d post these up to BGG at some point soon.

(4) Future Plans. I hope to deliver Blitz to GMT in August, after which I will be taking a short break. Once that is over, I shall begin work on the second Wing Leader expansion: Wing Leader: Eagles, which will supplement Wing Leader: Supremacy in the same way that Blitz supplements Wing Leader: Victories.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.