Peter B.
Germany
Oldenburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rule 10.5 tells us that the attacker, followed by the defender, may each play ONE Event Card that is used during a battle, BEFORE the die is rolled.

My friend and I have detected that some cards in the 2nd Ed. had the hint: "Does not count as a card played in a battle" (for example #15, 2nd Ed.) but this hint is missing in the 3rd Ed. (same Card, #34).

Does this change the number of cards you are allowed to play in a battle (before/after a die is rolled)?
Does the 3rd Ed. only allow to play ONE card per side BEFORE the die is rolled and any number of cards AFTER the die is rolled?

Situation:
Russians are the attacker. They play an Event Card in the Commitment Step. Germans then also play an Event Card.
May the Russians play "Conflicting Hitler Directives (#34 in 3rd Ed. and #15 in 2nd Ed.) to cancel the German's Card BEFORE the die is rolled?

May both sides play another card(s) for the same battle (although they have played a card BEFORE the die roll) AFTER the die is rolled?
For example Germans want a reroll playing "Knight's Cross Wearers" (#16 both Ed.) and Russians then play "Hitler's Interference" (#36 both Ed.) and another "Play anytime"-Card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
StarPit wrote:

Does this change the number of cards you are allowed to play in a battle (before/after a die is rolled)?

No, it does not change the number.

StarPit wrote:

Does the 3rd Ed. only allow to play ONE card per side BEFORE the die is rolled and any number of cards AFTER the die is rolled?

Yes.

StarPit wrote:

Situation:
Russians are the attacker. They play an Event Card in the Commitment Step. Germans then also play an Event Card.
May the Russians play "Conflicting Hitler Directives (#34 in 3rd Ed. and #15 in 2nd Ed.) to cancel the German's Card BEFORE the die is rolled?

Yes.

StarPit wrote:

May both sides play another card(s) for the same battle (although they have played a card BEFORE the die roll) AFTER the die is rolled?
For example Germans want a reroll playing "Knight's Cross Wearers" (#16 both Ed.) and Russians then play "Hitler's Interference" (#36 both Ed.) and another "Play anytime"-Card?

Yes! meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter B.
Germany
Oldenburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Carl,
Thank you VERY much for your quick reply.

So playing "Conflicting Hitler Directives" is an exeption of the rule that each side can play one card during the Commitment Step before rolling a die.

Great to know this. Maybe the old hint of the 2nd Ed. ("Does not count as a card played in a battle") helped a little bit...

Well, I just think about making another German card deck (compatible to your 3rd Ed.) and because of this I still analyze your new deck.

Have a fine Sunday... meeple

Best,
Peter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
StarPit wrote:
Hi Carl,
Thank you VERY much for your quick reply.

So playing "Conflicting Hitler Directives" is an exeption of the rule that each side can play one card during the Commitment Step before rolling a die.

Great to know this. Maybe the old hint of the 2nd Ed. ("Does not count as a card played in a battle") helped a little bit...

Well... The card says: "Play Anytime"...

Do not forget this rule: cool

[5.3.2] Event Precedence: When there is a conflict between
Event text and the Rules, the Event text takes precedence.

In the other games in the series the Combat Cards have a "Target" icon to make the distinction easy to see. I decided not to "reverse-engineer" it into this game as I wanted to keep the 3rd edition as close to possible to the original.

Having a new German-language version of the cards would be great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.