Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set» Forums » General

Subject: Is this possible? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ralph Tricoche
United States
Bronx
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Players, is it ok if a higher level character decided to play with beginners on their nourney throughout the games campaign?
The way we were thematically justifying it was by imagining the higher level player was an old seasoned vet that is tagging along with the wet behing the ears adventures lending a hand and his dice when needed.

Would this be ok?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, but obviously they wouldn't get any feats for completing a scenario for a second time.

We've done this several times, for instance having got through the first 3 scenarios our children then decided they also wanted to play so we repeated the first three with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Mercer
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Each character can only gain a reward for each scenario once. But otherwise, no issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Tricoche
United States
Bronx
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome. Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Sandifer
United States
Lutherville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The most important thing is that it's your game, and you should do whatever you want to make it fun.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend using a higher level character, however, because (a) Rise of the Runelords is already the easiest box set and (b) the person playing the higher level character might actually have less fun than everyone else (combat might be too easy, e.g.).

If you're looking to make the game a bit easier, I'd recommend one or more of the following: (ranked top to bottom)

1. Add one additional blessing per player to the blessings deck (e.g., use 35 blessings in a 5-player game) - this is the only variant I've used myself, and only with new players

2. "Lucky charm": Allow each player one re-roll per game

3. Give each character an additional card and/or skill feat before starting the campaign (this is rather extreme, but you could assume training beforehand?)

Anyway, these are just ideas. Enjoy the game!

Minor warning: Variant #1 makes it more likely that you'll win the scenario, but it also makes it a bit more likely that characters will die. Just remember that exploring is optional, and that - to avoid character death - players can stop exploring at any time and let the blessings deck run itself out. Scenario failure is always preferable to suicide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.