Myth» Forums » Variants

Subject: Grimzim's: The Lands of Myth - a continuous campaign mod rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Grim Reaper
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since the beginning of Myth I wanted to be able to play an ongoing campaign. I've tried many things but was not satisfied so I started working on my own campaign version.

Update: Download here
https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/155803/grimzims-land-myth

Main Design Goals:
- Heroes should keep all their gained items, gold, serendipity etc.
- To get a better feeling for the world heroes will progress from region to region: each region containing a module and thematically integrated quests.
- Heroes will never just die, instead they will gain special hero cards that are ongoing injuries.
- Add some additional possibilities for hero progression
- Add a new way to easily adjust difficulty and add more variety to lairs & captains

To make this possible I've introduced several things:
- White Items & Merchants. White items allow for smooth item progression. You can see them here: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1787340/grimzims-white-...
- Injury Hero Cards. When one (or all) heroes are reduced to 0 vitality they add one these special hero cards to their hero deck. These cards are both a drawback and a constant reminder that you have failed. You can find them here: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1797345/grimzims-death-...
- New Hero Cards. These (optional) cards with a yellow flame can be gained when playing a Lands of Myth campaign. You can find them here: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1871716/grimzims-special-he...
- Lair Cards, Lair Mutation Cards & Captain Mutation Cards. THese allow to add some variety to lairs and monsters while also allow to adjust the difficulty easily.
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1857792/grimzims-lair-and-l...
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1868892/grimzims-captain-mu...
- Hero Card Stickers. I wanted additional advancement options, that's why I've created the hero card stickers as well as challenge cards (that allow to gain upgrade points to gain the stickers). You can find them here: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1784950/grimzims-hero-c...

Regions
The most important part is a way to control what items the heroes can get. To achieve this I've introduced 'regions'. A region is a part of the world where heroes do modules & quests. They give players actions not only a place in the world but mainly provide guidance how to setup the treasure decks and what is contained in them. In addition the merchants one can encounter are defined as are simple changes to the quests.

Each area will be represented by a few pages with all rules, hopefully making it easy to add further areas in the future. I do want to integrate all existing and upcoming modules in it.

Note: A huge inspiration was the work of Tobias and others on Myth: Dungeons. I've taken the reputation idea Tobias used for the dungeon and applied it to the campaign concept. My dream would be that one day we will be able to experience Myth including Modules, Quests, Myth: Dungeons in a coherent way...

As I'm a very visual guy I wanted to have a nice presentation - that's why I started to work on the rulebook and areas. Today, I want to share the first parts of my work.

The cover page of the Lands of Myth rulebook. The rulebook will contain the new extensions (white items, white merchants, death penalty cards, hero card stickers ...).

The starting area, intended for new players.

I will share the next area (much bigger regarding setup rules) during the next days if people think it's worth it.

What do you guys think? Any suggestions / ideas?
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sudo Nim
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The Lands of Myth
I like your region idea. I had a similar idea myself regarding assigning certain quests/modules to areas towns. I took the approach as a rpg game master setting up a linear adventure that then expanded out to multiple branches during my first attempt (which you can view here if you'd like: https://docs.google.com/document/d/10iWiO6PIK7oMaZfNogO5qZ1x...). I think I'd be more inclined to do it as a sandbox in any next attempt though. May approach is, however, a radical departure from the "boardgame" aspect of the game that few, I'd think, would actually adopt (at least in its specifics as those are going to be so heavily group dependent). I post it here mainly to serve as inspiration for any person, such as yourself, who is attempting to add a campaign structure to the game. I also note that the progression system I used was for this campaign was radically different from yours (which you can view here if you'd like https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1463871/yet-another-stab-ca...), which I again include for possible inspiration as you are clearly going a different direction with your proposed progression system.

Regarding your specific execution, and it's likely that this is to be more clear as you progress, but it took me a bit to get that the pages you made refer only to the town Highgate rather than the region shown in the entire map being called Highgate. You might want to do something to highlight that point in the future.

Good luck with this though. Take is from someone whose tried something similar in the past, it's going to be a lot of work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grim Reaper
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your input!

Regarding the areas: the idea is that the heroes have always a base (often a village or town) from where they do modules or quests. So in the first area it's the village of Highgate.

Using the unlock system will not only support the hero progression but also unlock new paths etc. To achieve this I've taken the Myth map and added locations where I needed them. I also had a look a the quests and tried to assign them to the locations where they seemed best. I've also used location references in the quests and added them to the area/town description. You will be able to see this in the next area/location: Wheathall.

I will think about making it more clear where the current position on the map is. Maybe add some marker to it.

I know that it is a lot of work, actually all the stuff I already did (new cards etc.) did cost me some time already .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grim Reaper
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As I'm motivated I want to share the first 'real' area of the Lands of Myth campaign: the village of Wheathall. I hope all my descriptions become more clear once you have a look at the pages.

First: the cover page of the region!

Each region may come with additional cards. In case of Wheathall, there are some special monsters to be encountered...

This page shows a part of the region setup. It describes the Treasure Bag (there is none in this area) and also the item decks you need to prepare. These decks will be used during questing / modules and also needed for unlocks. They allow to give gear to the heroes in a more selective way while still maintaining some randomness (i.e. some of your special white hero gear can be found during questing, some you will get as rewards and even the merchants might sell you some...).

Here's the Merchant section of the Wheathall region. Merchants are pre-selected in Lands of Myth and may have changes in order to support continuous item progression:

The next page is as well as the area map and difficulty. This is mainly for giving the players something to look at and get a feeling for the world. Quest and module locations are indicated.

The Darkness Influence tracker shows how strong the influence of the Darkness is in a certain region. Completing quests or module acts will lower the Darkness influence and give rewards to the heroes. However, the Darkness will not give up easily and might fight back harder than before! I've added this so as the heroes get stronger the difficulty will also rise to some extend.

This page shows the actions heroes can undertake when in the Wheathall village. This is inspired by the wonderful work of Tobias and friends. It describes all options the players . I've decided that I don't want my campaign to last forever so that's have.

Modules need some changes to be integrated smoothly into Lands of Myth. Instead of re-writing the whole module (maybe still a good idea as the layout is horribly - text you should read before the start are on the next page etc.) I've decided that it's too much effort so only did a small list of changes one has to apply:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Awesome. I don't know who's ideas are who's (I didn't follow the other discussions close enough), but the reputation concept works well because it allows for additional benefits besides level gain.

It seems like these rules allow heroes to keep all potions and found items between adventures and just sell the unneeded ones for gold back to the merchants. By extension, I would think then that would mean all gold (and Serendipity?) can be horded as well.

I like the feel of this. I think the level gain is a bit fast though (like you already addressed). As written, you would only need to complete 1 module and 2 quests and you are at journeyman level.

Anyway, I would love to see the pdf for this. I was using the Myth Points idea, and am at a place where I was about to use some loot in town to gain some new gear and/or deck advancement, but I think I may switch to this idea instead. Nice work!

I also like the Death Penalty Card idea! I need to read through them all, but looks good. I was just going to allow for the traditional "resurrect" idea for X gold (or something like that), but this is an interesting twist and feels more natural to the game (it reminds me of taking wounds in Mage Knight). One question though - on the description text of how to remove a death penalty, it says "However, for each darkness symbol rolled, the healer loses one ". One what?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grim Reaper
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the kind words Nightmander.

As said, I took the reputation idea from Myth: Dungeons and applied it to the campaign concept. I think it is a very good concept as it allows for a lot of things to progress 'naturally' - e.g. merchants appear at certain reputation levels, advancements are unlocked, even new quests or the option to travel can easily be integrated easily.

Hoarding: yes, at the moment you can keep everything. Based on testing some things might have to be adapted (i.e. gold cost for some of the things you can do etc.).

Leveling: as I wanted to include the modules I'm currently limited as we do not have much of them currently. At the moment each hero will have 4-5 white items after completing the first area. With the additional Novice cards this should be enough to play the next (more difficult) area. It could be adapted to be more slow but that would possibly mean to give the heroes not all white items in the first area.

Death Penalty Rules: good catch, in the uploaded version the text has been cut. The missing word is 'vitality'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grim Reaper
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thesigma wrote:

I like all the fluff text you've done very much. This is really awesome work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
grimzim wrote:
Thanks for the kind words Nightmander.

As said, I took the reputation idea from Myth: Dungeons and applied it to the campaign concept.

I'm happy that you find my work inspiring, but copy / pasting my ideas and previews of a project I and others have worked on for month is not really cool.

Not here to pick a fight or something. Just wanted to say: "Not cool, bro!".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grim Reaper
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Update:
I had some discussion with Tobias. Note that I highly value the work of Tobias and friends and it was not my intention to piss him or others off.
As stated I used the reputation idea of Myth: Dungeons and applied it to my campaign idea. While (in my opinion) the focus of my campaign was different (i.e. I wanted a continuous campaign therefore all the work regarding new white items, item deck preparations, merchants and quests etc.) Tobias thinks I ripped off his work. I did this mainly for my gaming group and wanted to share it, not thinking that Tobias could see this as a malicious way of stealing his idea.

I can understand that Tobias is not happy that I used the reputation idea without talking to him first. I apologized but the damage is done. To make clear that I had no bad intentions I will not upload anything else to BGG and remove the shared part asap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
No need to remove anything.

I think this should be a place for ideas and content to blossom and I don't want to be the guy, that prevents that.

I've said my part.

Peace
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Excellent perspective nimmzwei.

Grimzim, please re-post your work. It deserves to be seen and used by more than just your small gaming group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian
Germany
Herne
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
the communtiy is so small at the moment (hopefully it growth again in the future) that every custom content is really welcome.

so please (if nimmzwei is ok with it) reupload it, and develope it further.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grim Reaper
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Update

Quite some time has passed...

While my gaming group played Myth during the last few month and I've uploaded most of the parts I've created for my Lands of Myth modification (like Special Hero Cards, Lair / Captain Mutation Cards etc.) I've not shown how Lands of Myth itself has developed.

I've removed all pictures back then but Lands of Myth has evolved since then. While there's still similarities between Myth: Dungeons and Lands of Myth I think the main goal (having a continuous campaign mod) is different enough so not only my gaming group but other might find joy in playing it.

That's why I decided to upload some pictures again...

Here's the region idea explained in a (not finished) picture:

As you can see: the idea is that heroes progress from region to region. Each region giving not only a part of the Myth world and a theme but also allowing the heroes to progress by gaining items, hero cards unlocks etc. This also allows for several "play-troughs", each time choosing another "path". Unfortunately, we would need information regarding the unreleased modules - or write our own modules and quests.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grim Reaper
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've done several quests for the 1st region. To give you an example I will share today to 1st of those quests: Night-Time Ambush. When you decide to save some money and sleep outside town you might find yourself under attack from the Darkness... Here's what this may look like...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grim Reaper
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a 2nd quest: Breeding Chamber. I've tried to thematically tie this quest to the whole "Crawler" thing going on in Wheathall / in the Stone of Life module.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grim Reaper
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another quest form the Wheathall region: Stolen Treasure. This quest is based on the quest card of the same name but integrated into the region. Talek Three Dunes can be encountered when visiting the Leaking Keg Inn in Wheathall village. It's a short quest, intended if you have not much time for a Myth session...

As you can see all quests come with a few lines of story. While I like the story of the modules I don't always want to read pages full of story during a play session, Thus quests only provide a few lines to set the mood...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grim Reaper
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is Ankhegs Lair - the quest you can play after you successfully cleared the Breeding Chamber. Ankheg is quite nasty so be prepared!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grim Reaper
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the current Lands of Myth "rulebook". It (hopefully) describes everything you have to know...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hulting
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
Impressive! If I want to download it all, is there a file that includes all rules and quests etc.?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grim Reaper
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Belloque wrote:
Impressive! If I want to download it all, is there a file that includes all rules and quests etc.?

I will do some final changes during the next days and will provide PDFs for easy download and print. I may also prepare a printerstudio project for all cards I did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Johns
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice work Grim.
Way to keep the fire going.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mb
To repeat, that is some impressive amount of work there. Can't wait to try this out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grim Reaper
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another quest from the Wheathall region: Camp Waconda. This quest is based on the quest cards "For Glory and Honor", "Light the Fires" and "Ready to Rescue". To have some variety it uses another monster type.

Hope you like it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grim Reaper
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Update

If you had a look at the rules regarding "Zero Vitality" you will have noticed that heroes will gain Injury Hero Cards. But that is not all. You also have to roll a FD: in case of a darkness symbol the heroes have been captured and will have to play the following scenario:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Knauss
United States
Winter Garden
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dude!!!
I'm liking what your sellin! I cant wait to see all of these compiled together in a .pdf. It is a definite download for me at this point.
Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.