15 Posts

Xia: Embers of a Forsaken Star» Forums » General

Subject: My Foamcore Insert rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rav
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Finally got around to finishing the update to my insert. Previously, I used the insert that came with Xia, plus two toppers I made from foamcore to hold everything in Xia. But the extra cards, tiles and all the other stuff wouldn't fit well anymore, so I had to update the toppers, and create a whole new foamcore solution.

Empty. The lower walls are 2" high, the higher ones around the cards and ships go to the top (2 7/8"?)
Edit: That little bit in the lower right corner is a shelf for one of the toppers below to sit on.

Filled! I have the coins bagged right now, but I kind of want to make a little dispenser for them, but for now they won't cause any harm off in their own section.
There's still a ton of room in here. Another inch and a half of space on top of the boards, another half inch or so in each tiles, so if there's another expansion, it should all fit.
(I put in an extra four sets of dice, so each player has their own. Sharing is not caring, it's awful.)

The toppers. These were modified to hold the extra expansion stuff. When we play, we just take these out and place them where everyone can reach them, because these are the components most used in the game. The walls of these are only 5/8" high, but everything still fits perfectly.

Toppers in the box. They sit flush with the top of the box, so everything is held in place and doesn't skip around in transit.

The only thing that's kind of annoying is the cards are all together, so each game I just take the stack and quickly flip through, separating them out. I might add some little card separators if it gets too annoying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really nice design! thumbsup I'll definitely use your design as a source of ideas if I ever get up the determination to build my own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rav
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
MentatYP wrote:
Really nice design! thumbsup I'll definitely use your design as a source of ideas if I ever get up the determination to build my own.

Thanks!

The 'ship pieces' (edit: outfits, that's the word) topper divider was built with the base Xia game in mind, and then later modified a bit to hold the expansion pieces. I'm lucky they all fit, but if I were to make it again, I'd rethink the placements of that. As is, I had to share some slots, but at least they generally make sense (enviro shield with shields, engine booster with engines, piercer with guns, just the mission computer is stuck with the t1 missiles for space)

Pretty much everything else I'm happy with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Vore
United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
Send me a trade offer!
badge
I WANT MY TWO DOLLARS!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing with ideas for the past week on how I want to make an insert and I really like what you did with yours. Thanks for posting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rav
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The box insert itself I just did in four steps:

Color coded to help out a bit.

Red (hexes area): Measured the inner width of the box (11 1/8" by my measurement), cut a 2" high strip, and then cut a 5" long strip for the divider. I measured out the midpoint of the long piece, glued in the 5" strip perpendicular to it, then glued them to the bottom of the box.

Orange (ship sheets): With the left side hex section complete, I now measured the length from the end of the box to the foamcore on the left, which was 11 11/16" for me, but my foamcore cutting isn't precise, so measure your own. For its divider, I cut a 6" strip, measured 2" in from the left side, and glued/pinned the two pieces together. Once dry, I glued them to the bottom. These two pieces are also only 2" high.

Yellow (cards): Now that 2/3 of the box is done with foamcore, I just picked this next spot to be for the cards. I laid them inside, rounded up to the nearest inch for the width to make them easier to get out, then measured from the top wall of the box to the foamcore below it, which was 5" long. The 'toppers' don't cover this section, so this one piece is 2 3/4" high instead of the usual 2", which is needed because the cards themselves are something like 2 1/2" wide.

Green (ships): With this final box, I just measured the length and width, cut pieces to fit, and slotted them out in the middles and slid them in. These are also the taller walls 2 3/4" high. My dimensions here were 7 1/2" long by 5" wide. Though, if you notice on the left side I had to cut out a notch down to the 2" mark because a topper is hanging over the edge just a little bit.

So basically, it wasn't a superbly planned out bit, I just went counter clockwise around the box, fitting in the biggest pieces first, then measuring and building off what was left each time. I used elmers glue and pins to hold it all together, and ran seams of glue around the bottoms and corners of all the pieces to make it rock hard, so clumsy hands nor shaking will ruin it.

Hope this helps, it wasn't a ton of work really. The toppers are more complicated, but aren't too difficult to suss out. They could be done better, so I'll leave those to someone else to improve on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Dennis
Wales
Llanon
Ceredigion
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you for that. I've made a copy of it today and it works a treat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gasnier laurent
France
flag msg tools
I finish my pimp too this week
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rav
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Your foamcore cuts are way cleaner and straighter than mine it seems, do you use any special tool to do it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dante
United States
Katy
TX-Texas
flag msg tools
mb
You guys motivated me to try my own foamcore with inspiration from yours. I still have some left to do in the bottom left but I like how it is turning out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gasnier laurent
France
flag msg tools
I Rav, I only use that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rav
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Valnimir wrote:
I Rav, I only use that

What's that top thing? A cutter of some kind? I know tools exist to help cutting out straighter lines and such, I just am not sure what to look for.

Dante, yours looks great too! That outfit storage bit is nice with the minimalist amount of edges needed to hold things in. The cards being separated is really convenient too, I need to work that into mine somehow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ravendas wrote:
Your foamcore cuts are way cleaner and straighter than mine it seems, do you use any special tool to do it?

I'm more impressed with the circular cutouts myself! How do you do that without it turning into a mess?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mouldy Banana
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ravendas wrote:
What's that top thing? A cutter of some kind?
It's for cutting circles. Bit like a compass but with a blade instead of a pencil.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dante
United States
Katy
TX-Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Just an update. I finished this foamcore project. I left the starting items for each player in separate little baggies and the credits in 2 small dollar store containers. I added the tray for the cargo cubes and another tray for all other tokens. Thanks to the other posters for inspiration. Now this game doesn't take much time to get out to the table, just a little shuffling of cards and sector tiles and I'm on my way!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Grayer
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
So I had a bash at this, inspired mainly by Laurent's and Dante's excellent efforts.

I took Laurent's method of storing the ships by cutting circles out of a second piece of foam core, and added an extra layer of thin, flexible foam with the holes cut slightly smaller to hold the ships in place. I can hold the ship-holder completely upside-down and none of the ships will fall out

I then used Dante's method of fitting together tetris-style the ship outfits so that they were all visible in neat stacks and easily accessible. But I wanted to see if it could be improved upon to take less space in the box. The turning point in my design came when I realised you could fit all the outfits and the upgrade tokens in two shallow trays and still have enough room for a third tray on top. (Turns out there are benefits to having played quite a bit of Patchwork lately...)

In addition to the tools Laurent used, I also used a nail file and some sandpaper to hack out a little recess so that the economy board could sit on top of the tray containing the resource cubes. If I was doing this again I'd recommend using a knife to do it properly before assembling the bits, but I was improvising.

The end result is an insert that packs everything in so tightly that I think I should be able to fit one more expansion in as well! As it is, I have a completely empty tray that serves perfect well for rolling dice into

Anyway, here's the finished product...

(also posted in this thread)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.