8 Posts

Sword & Sorcery» Forums » General

Subject: Number of scenarios in Act 1 campaign rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Castle
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi there, I'm considering getting S&S at retail.Could someone tell me how many scenarios are contained in Act 1 and how many you actually play in a full campaign?
Do those of you who've played already think there's enough mileage to be had from the core game content?
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rezard Vareth
United States
flag msg tools
Bouncy wrote:
Hi there, I'm considering getting S&S at retail.Could someone tell me how many scenarios are contained in Act 1 and how many you actually play in a full campaign?
Do those of you who've played already think there's enough mileage to be had from the core game content?
Thanks
7 Quests, 6 of which are playable on a given playthrough.

You also have 5 heroes in 2 variants each. Having played the KS version, I'd buy retail in a heartbeat if I didn't have it already. I've already gone through the retail campaign twice already (almost certainly 20+ hours).

It's a good solo, too, if that matters to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gorka Morka
Germany
Bavaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There's 7 quests of which you play 6 in a full campaign. A campaign should take around 10 hours if you don't overanalyze and not count setup/teardown time. It can easily be played at least twice because playing a lawful or chaotic party will give you different choices at story points in the campaign. And the last quest and which master enemy you'll fight also depends on story choices you take. So two playthroughs nets you about 20 hours of gameplay. Considering the awesome miniatures and overall component quality alone I'd say go for it.

Regards, Gorkar

ninjaed by Rezard Vareth
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kamen Hristov
Bulgaria
Rousse
Rousse
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It depends on your own perspective and concept of value, I guess.

First, I want to stress that I am really glad I (late) backed this title and went almost full in (everything but a few cosmetic items, like the 3D doors & chests). However, if I was to decide whether to currently pick the retail version from the store, I'd more than likely pass. The reason: I am not a solo gamer, my group would have just a single playthrough (which would reduce my experience to only 6 play sessions), during which we were to face limited types of enemies (albeit them being different ranks, I'd go for something with a little more lore variety than just orcs of various kinds) and bosses.

Moreover, playing a character who is designed to level up to rank 7, which would be constantly reminded to me by my very hero's soulgem and cards, but who is limited to only level 4 and some of his abilities are not even included in the box, would leave me feeling I payed full price for a partial product.

However, please note that all of the above is based on its current price in my region, i.e. about $90 + shipping, which in my personal opinion is just not worth it for only 6 game nights (or fewer, if your group somehow manages to squeeze more than 1 quest into a session). Had I access to the title for only $50, as is offered by some major western retailers, I'd surely grab it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We're still exploring the game but so far Imho the content in the base game box is a bit limited. Just to few quest with very limited replayability.
There is very little randomness in setup and play of every mission. It gets a bit predictable playing through it your second time, a 3th run will make the scenario very repetitive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shakka
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/26192842#26192842
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel U. Thibault
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And then there's Act II (mid-October), and the two side quests, and Vastaryous's Lair. Plus I'm sure there will be other scenarios published later: consider the material (tiles and enemies, etc.) as a building set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Drake
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Plus there's supposed to be a quest editor in October. I'm stoked for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.