Popular Tags: [View All]
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Look at the rules forum. The subsequent round thing is super confusing. It's also really weird. Much simpler version: The game is one round. Period. Or choose to play best out of n rounds, but each round starts with a clean reset. The winner of each round is the player who meets one of the win conditions, in the following priority order:
1) 11 or more points
2) 4 or more cards
3) Most points

Simple. I can't believe the official rules made the subsequent round thing so weird, and so unsatisfying of winning geishas that can just be stolen right back. Bizarre.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely disagree. I really enjoy the different feel of the second round, when you know a tie is enough to retain a geisha you already control.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paweł Stępniak
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IMO whole point is to prepare tableau to achieve win conditions in future rounds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It needs subsequent rounds. It can end in one, but shouldn't unless you're playing someone who plays extremely poorly. I do like the "end after three rounds" variant because, theoretically, two people of comparable skill could play forever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad N
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
Unique titles I've played in 2018
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
qwertymartin wrote:
I really enjoy the different feel of the second round, when you know a tie is enough to retain a geisha you already control.

I agree with this statement and made the exact same comment to my wife during our second play of the game. The whole landscape of the board is different with each side ahead on different cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg Wolgast
Sweden
Lund
Skåne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
Look at the rules forum. The subsequent round thing is super confusing. It's also really weird. Much simpler version: The game is one round. Period. Or choose to play best out of n rounds, but each round starts with a clean reset. The winner of each round is the player who meets one of the win conditions, in the following priority order:
1) 11 or more points
2) 4 or more cards
3) Most points

Simple. I can't believe the official rules made the subsequent round thing so weird, and so unsatisfying of winning geishas that can just be stolen right back. Bizarre.

What's the tie-breaker? I suggest playing another round, but without a reset as a tie-breaker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Tavener
Canada
flag msg tools
I definitely like the continuing rounds. Winning a 2 pt geisha in the first round is exactly that. But going for a 2 pointer that your opponent already controls is very valuable. A lot more strategy with the second and third rounds than the first. First round is simply doing the best you can to set up a good starting position.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Z
Romania
Constanta
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
One round games can actually happen with beginner partners. The more you know your opponent (and subsequently the more they learn about the game), though, the more additional rounds. Like others have said, it gets more and more intense. I would't agree to play without additional rounds, but that's just me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Moon
Australia
South Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
I do like the "end after three rounds" variant because, theoretically, two people of comparable skill could play forever.

Yes this. One of my recent plays went for 10 rounds because of the back & forth. We eventually called it quits at round 10 because this was supposed to be a pre-match 'filler' warm up prior to our main game and was taking too long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakamachi, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
The subsequent round thing is super confusing.

Hardly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
Sixmoons wrote:
kelann08 wrote:
I do like the "end after three rounds" variant because, theoretically, two people of comparable skill could play forever.

Yes this. One of my recent plays went for 10 rounds because of the back & forth. We eventually called it quits at round 10 because this was supposed to be a pre-match 'filler' warm up prior to our main game and was taking too long.

This seems fantastically unlikely! Once a geisha has been claimed by either player, it never goes back to the middle. In order to avoid having a player have 4 geishas, one geisha would have to be tied 10 times running.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat Thomsen
United States
Medway
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
qwertymartin wrote:
Sixmoons wrote:
kelann08 wrote:

This seems fantastically unlikely! Once a geisha has been claimed by either player, it never goes back to the middle. In order to avoid having a player have 4 geishas, one geisha would have to be tied 10 times running.

Add to this, the random removal of one card. My first couple of games went long, but we were sliding tokens back to the middle. Most games end by round three.

One round is clearly not enough in all cases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.