7 Posts

Sword & Sorcery» Forums » Rules

Subject: Card art quality rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Castle
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
So far, I've only managed to find pretty low quality online images of art from this game. The item art on the cards looks pretty average and the designs look very uninspired from what I can see. The background plinths and other trappings make the cards look overly busy as well given how little real estate the items themselves have on the cards.
I do like nice art in my games and am used to the quality of Arcadia Quest and the like. Gloomhaven' s styling seems way ahead of S&S, although I find the game boards rather unthematic in GH's case, whereas S&S looks pretty good from that POV.
How are people finding them in the flesh?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rezard Vareth
United States
flag msg tools
I like them, but I have no training in the subject. I don't really notice art design until it gets in the way of functionality (e.g., overly busy text or backgrounds, overly similar text/background colors). These cards are certainly functional and I don't have issues playing.

Whether you will find them aesthetically pleasing, though, I have no idea. It seems like you have more specific demands than I do in this department.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
It's one of the most lovely looking dungeon crawls I own.
And I own many.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Y.
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The map tiles are excellent. Vivid and detailed.

The monsters use a faded "line" drawing (it's more than that but it doesn't look like a finished piece of art. I'm indifferent about them.

I don't like most of the character artwork. Maybe the artwork is fine but the layout is too busy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Russell
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All the art and models seem pretty good to me - i own a number of dungeon crawl games. I like the hero skills artwork style, weapons are ok but descent 2nd and Gloomhaven are a little better here.

Comparative thoughts ...
- Sword & Sorcery has the best tiles of them all with Silver Tower/Hammerhal, Descent 2nd fairly close behind, Gloomhaven is nowhere near the standard of others. Tiles are one of the most important aspects for me over cards.
- Models, Warhammer wins for their hero models, and i think Descent wins for the variety and quality of monster models available. Sword & Sorcery has very nice heroes and is middle ground for enemies, however their purple boss monsters are just about the best around to confuse things. Gloomhaven has loads of enemy variety but no enemy models sadly, just standees, which is functional but does feel anywhere near as good after a while.
- Card and monster Art is tricky and i think i like Descent 2nd the best, then Gloomhaven, then Sword & Sorcery and finally Warhammer which does not have great front card artwork, except they have nice card backs.
- Hero sheets, i do like the kickstarter exclusive thicker Sword & Sorcery sheets and the Gloomhaven ones and both have good art, Descent 2nd hero cards look very colourful, but Warhammer are a little less exciting comparatively speaking.

Overall a mixed bag, different games have relative strengths and weaknesses. For best all rounder on contents i would personally have to go with Sword & Sorcery or Descent 2nd edition (gameplay not being a measure and where Gloomhaven fights back).

A few pictures of my Sword painted heroes > http://crusadersgolf.co.uk/board-games/sword-sorcery-paintin...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel U. Thibault
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll pipe in and mention that the Hero sheets are well thought-out (the weird indents each have a function) and keep things very nicely organised.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kand Affar
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
The art isn't mind blowing, but I think the small deck art work is acceptable and functional. I like the art on the enemy cards (which you don't really see much though) and most of the hero art (Aurelia is ugly and a few others, like not-Legolas, are meh...)

It's a dungeon crawler where I don't have to be gamemaster and it has cool minis, a nice board, and fun rules. The art to me is suitable for those purposes and neither an attraction nor detractor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.