British Columbia
flag msg tools
Here is how the rulebook describes morale:
"The losing army in an attack (as either the
attacker or defender) loses one morale point for
each strength point it lost in that attack. An army
also loses one morale point for each strength
point it loses in a retreat."

1)Makes sense, but what about collateral damage?

Say I only have a one strength infantry. It cannot be used as lead and on a wide attack the player wins 4-0. The defender losses are then 6 (with two attack leading units on the wide attack).

Obviously the infantry is eliminated, but now do I take 6 points off the morale track or only 1 as that is the infantry units strength that was eliminated?

2) I ask only because another scenario which was cleared up on the forums is if units have to retreat but they have no legal place to retreat they get eliminated. Then the total strength of those units is removed from the morale track, not the losses stipulated by the retreat rules.

So for example say I had units with a total of 10 strength points that were forced to retreat but they all got eliminated I would lose 10 points on the morale track as opposed to just say one point loss for infantry in reserve as the rules stipulate.

These just seem to contradict each other as to how collateral damage is handled.

Last question (somewhat unrelated):
3) The Attacker losses say
"Add one point for each defense leading
unit."
Do defense leading units include counter attack units? So for example if I used two calvary units as counter attack on top of one defense leading unit I would actually count 3 points here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
soggycardboard wrote:
Say I only have a one strength infantry. It cannot be used as lead and on a wide attack the player wins 4-0. The defender losses are then 6 (with two attack leading units on the wide attack).

Obviously the infantry is eliminated, but now do I take 6 points off the morale track or only 1 as that is the infantry units strength that was eliminated?

No; you lose 1 morale, because you lost 1 strength point in the attack.

soggycardboard wrote:
2) I ask only because another scenario which was cleared up on the forums is if units have to retreat but they have no legal place to retreat they get eliminated. Then the total strength of those units is removed from the morale track, not the losses stipulated by the retreat rules.

Those losses are stipulated by the retreat rules!

soggycardboard wrote:
3) The Attacker losses say
"Add one point for each defense leading
unit."
Do defense leading units include counter attack units?

No, counterattacking units are not leading units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Cizmar
Canada
Summerland
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Thanks Rusty for the clarification.

I'm not sure where it stipulates the losses for eliminated units in the retreat rules, all it says is:

"Pieces unable to retreat within the above restrictions
are eliminated."

and then in the morale section it says,

"An army also loses one morale point for each strength

However by your clarifications I should be treating all losses for morale as to what actually happened to the units on the board during an attack phase (which makes more sense then just assigning arbitrary losses for overkills or whatever the losses section for retreat defines).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob S.
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
soggycardboard wrote:
Thanks Rusty for the clarification.

I'm not sure where it stipulates the losses for eliminated units in the retreat rules, all it says is:

"Pieces unable to retreat within the above restrictions
are eliminated."

and then in the morale section it says,

"An army also loses one morale point for each strength

However by your clarifications I should be treating all losses for morale as to what actually happened to the units on the board during an attack phase (which makes more sense then just assigning arbitrary losses for overkills or whatever the losses section for retreat defines).

Those two rules quoted by you work together. If a unit attempts to retreat (as defined by the rules) and cannot, it is eliminated (= your first quote). The strength points of that unit are thus lost due to the retreat. (Those losses came about from the attempted retreat.) So, those strength points of the unit lost during the retreat are deducted from morale (= your second quote).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.