Recommend
6 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Commands & Colors Tricorne: The American Revolution» Forums » General

Subject: Arnold at Monmouth? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Browsing through the scenarios, I noticed the Monmouth scenario has Arnold listed as a Continental leader.

I have never heard of him being present, and from the positioning, I would have guessed that leader to be Charles Lee.

Was Anold at Monmouth?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Minot
North Dakota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope. You are correct.

Lee commanded (in a loose sense of the term) the beginning of the battle, until Washington took over. Arnold was not there. Obviously, a misprint (hopefully corrected).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mateenyweeny
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Raks Raks Raks
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone knows that Charles Lee "shit the bed at The Battle of Monmouth".
3 
 Thumb up
0.06
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
Avatar
mb
Washington cannot be left alone to his devices!
Indecisive!
From crisis to crisis!
The best thing he can do for the revolution is
Turn and go back to planting tobacco in Mount Vernon!
2 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Clasing
msg tools
mb
NimitsTexan wrote:
Nope. You are correct.

Lee commanded (in a loose sense of the term) the beginning of the battle, until Washington took over. Arnold was not there. Obviously, a misprint (hopefully corrected).


I believe that Lee and Washington had a chance to chat when Washington took over.

However, the chat may have been rather one-sided, and Lee might have heard some terms and concepts to which he had never been exposed previously.

I'm sure it was educational for him.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kclasing wrote:


I believe that Lee and Washington had a chance to chat when Washington took over.

However, the chat may have been rather one-sided, and Lee might have heard some terms and concepts to which he had never been exposed previously.

I'm sure it was educational for him.


I understand it was one of the few occasions that Washington was heard to swear.

Charles Lee was court martialed for his behaviour at Monmouth and dismissed.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Lee_(general)#Battle_o...

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Clasing
msg tools
mb
I've always wished that someone would do a great biopic of Washington.

I have thought that two of the most difficult scenes to do would be this, because one would have to come up with the appropriate language that was not too modern, and yet was still forceful. I personally wouldn't want Deadwood like updating.

The other scene that I think would be emotionally difficult, but incredibly powerful, would be Newburgh. That one speaks for itself.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Borg
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Hi Mark

Good Catch - My mistake the leader should be Lee not Arnold.

Richard Borg


Minedog3 wrote:
Browsing through the scenarios, I noticed the Monmouth scenario has Arnold listed as a Continental leader.

I have never heard of him being present, and from the positioning, I would have guessed that leader to be Charles Lee.

Was Anold at Monmouth?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gregg

St. Paul
Minnesota
msg tools
I know C&C battles are somewhat abstract but it looks like the Monmouth scenario in the rulebook covers the last stages of the battle - Washington's stand. At that point Lee was already relieved of command.

In other games on the battle it was Gen. Wayne who was in that vicinity for this portion of the battle.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Dauphinais
United States
Chesterfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
While Lee had been relieved of overall command, he had then been assigned by Washington to take over in the area between the two brooks. Lee deployed the forces at the hedgerow. Wayne of course later launched an attack in that general area.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.