Subject: Like Secret Hitler....Sort of? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nora Sch
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Hi,

I'm doing a Christmas in July secret santa, and I want to get my person a board game / card game in the design style / shock value / WTF awkward laughter of Secret Hitler, but with a totally different gameplay. It needs to be for 2-4 people rather than a party game, light to almost middling weight. (He's married to another friend of mine, so I'd really like it if it's something that he and his wife can play on a slow day at home).

The person I am getting it for really loves Bang, and enjoys Settlers of Catan, so he has the personality of someone who can get into a solid gateway game. That said, I don't think he's getting into a game that's too nerdy looking on his own, and if I got him Ticket to Ride or Carcassone it would just end up on his shelf (and I say that as someone who likes them). It needs to look like a ridiculous and approachable and maybe borderline inappropriate game to pique his interest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gloom perhaps?
Its a solid game that pushes you to embrace its dark humor and tell short stories of whats happening to the characters as you kill them off for points. I like it because its a storytelling game that doesn't require the storytelling for more than added entertainment, it has separate and solid game mechanics. The standard game plays 2-4 and if dark humor fits what your looking for as far as shock value this may be a good pick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Long
Canada
Whitby
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Gloom (because its a good game) but your target audience has to want to add the story to the game to make it really shocking.
What about going a little more party with the sort of racist caricatures of Cash and Guns?.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.