Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Dice Forge» Forums » Rules

Subject: Guardian's Shield dic face rolled w/ Hybrid Die Face rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Charles Gillespie
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
In my group, we had a discussion on hot the die face with the Guardian's Shield and a die face that gives two resources. below is the rule for the Guardian's Shield die face.

"There are four different Guardian’s Shield faces, one for each type of resource. Each face shows 2 possible rewards (A and B). A Guardian’s Shield face does not always provide the same bene t. It depends on the die face with which it is paired.
> If you gain a resource that matches the one on the die face, gain 5 Glory Points. (Reward A)
> If you gain a different resource than the one shown on the die face, gain the resource shown. (Reward B)"

So if a player gets the red Guardian's Shield die face and the hybrid die face from the 4 gold slot that gives 1 glory point and a sun shard on the same roll what happens?

Scenario 1: the Sun Shard from the hybrid face triggers reward A. This totals 6 glory points and 1 sun shard

Scenario 2: the glory point from the hybrid triggers reward B. This totals 3 Sun Shards 1 glory point.

Scenario 3: the player must choose either reward A or B from the Guardian's Shield die face.

Scenario 4: Both rewards are triggered on the Guardian's Shield die face. this totals 6 glory points 3 Sun Shards.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say scenario 1. The shield face is an "either/or" reward. If the player got the 5 points, they don't get the consolation prize.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Martins
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Osoroshii wrote:
In my group, we had a discussion on hot the die face with the Guardian's Shield and a die face that gives two resources. below is the rule for the Guardian's Shield die face.

"There are four different Guardian’s Shield faces, one for each type of resource. Each face shows 2 possible rewards (A and B). A Guardian’s Shield face does not always provide the same bene t. It depends on the die face with which it is paired.
> If you gain a resource that matches the one on the die face, gain 5 Glory Points. (Reward A)
> If you gain a different resource than the one shown on the die face, gain the resource shown. (Reward B)"

So if a player gets the red Guardian's Shield die face and the hybrid die face from the 4 gold slot that gives 1 glory point and a sun shard on the same roll what happens?

Scenario 1: the Sun Shard from the hybrid face triggers reward A. This totals 6 glory points and 1 sun shard

Scenario 2: the glory point from the hybrid triggers reward B. This totals 3 Sun Shards 1 glory point.

Scenario 3: the player must choose either reward A or B from the Guardian's Shield die face.

Scenario 4: Both rewards are triggered on the Guardian's Shield die face. this totals 6 glory points 3 Sun Shards.


A very strict reading of the rules would imply Scenario 4, but I think the intent was Scenario 1.

At the bottom of that block, it mentions that if the die is rolled alone, you get Reward B (and not no reward at all).

Knowing that, I think they meant to word the rules like this:
"If you gain a resource that matches the one on the die face, gain Reward A. Otherwise, gain Reward B."
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quizoid wrote:
Osoroshii wrote:
In my group, we had a discussion on hot the die face with the Guardian's Shield and a die face that gives two resources. below is the rule for the Guardian's Shield die face.

"There are four different Guardian’s Shield faces, one for each type of resource. Each face shows 2 possible rewards (A and B). A Guardian’s Shield face does not always provide the same bene t. It depends on the die face with which it is paired.
> If you gain a resource that matches the one on the die face, gain 5 Glory Points. (Reward A)
> If you gain a different resource than the one shown on the die face, gain the resource shown. (Reward B)"

So if a player gets the red Guardian's Shield die face and the hybrid die face from the 4 gold slot that gives 1 glory point and a sun shard on the same roll what happens?

Scenario 1: the Sun Shard from the hybrid face triggers reward A. This totals 6 glory points and 1 sun shard

Scenario 2: the glory point from the hybrid triggers reward B. This totals 3 Sun Shards 1 glory point.

Scenario 3: the player must choose either reward A or B from the Guardian's Shield die face.

Scenario 4: Both rewards are triggered on the Guardian's Shield die face. this totals 6 glory points 3 Sun Shards.


A very strict reading of the rules would imply Scenario 4, but I think the intent was Scenario 1.

At the bottom of that block, it mentions that if the die is rolled alone, you get Reward B (and not no reward at all).

Knowing that, I think they meant to word the rules like this:
"If you gain a resource that matches the one on the die face, gain Reward A. Otherwise, gain Reward B."


Yup, needs "otherwise".
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Gillespie
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
Donny, I definitely don't think you are wrong as that is one way to look at it. In the rules for the Guardian's Shield die face they don't cover the hybrid that gives more than one resource when rolled. They Do cover the Hybrid die face that offers a choice when rolled.

"Example :
Reward A: 4Gold + '3gold\5 glory points' = 4 gold + 5 glory points
Reward B: 1Sun Shard + '3gold\5 glory points' = 1 Sun Shard + 3 Gold

Note: If the other die face requires you to make a choice, you must First choose what to gain to determine which reward you gain from the face.

Example :
'1 gold\1 Moon Shard\ 1 Sun Shard'+ '3gold\5 glory points'
> If the player chooses to gain 1 gold: '3gold\5 glory points' = 5 glory points
> If the player chooses to gain 1 Sun Shard or 1 Moon Shard : 3gold\5 glory points' = 3 gold"

Nowhere in the rule does it ever use the words "Either/Or", Only that there are two possible rewards.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Gillespie
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
Is there any official FAQ on the game that cold be used for more detailed interactions of dice faces?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Martins
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Osoroshii wrote:
Is there any official FAQ on the game that cold be used for more detailed interactions of dice faces?


Not yet.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Osoroshii wrote:
Donny, I definitely don't think you are wrong as that is one way to look at it. In the rules for the Guardian's Shield die face they don't cover the hybrid that gives more than one resource when rolled. They Do cover the Hybrid die face that offers a choice when rolled.

"Example :
Reward A: 4Gold + '3gold\5 glory points' = 4 gold + 5 glory points
Reward B: 1Sun Shard + '3gold\5 glory points' = 1 Sun Shard + 3 Gold

Note: If the other die face requires you to make a choice, you must First choose what to gain to determine which reward you gain from the face.

Example :
'1 gold\1 Moon Shard\ 1 Sun Shard'+ '3gold\5 glory points'
> If the player chooses to gain 1 gold: '3gold\5 glory points' = 5 glory points
> If the player chooses to gain 1 Sun Shard or 1 Moon Shard : 3gold\5 glory points' = 3 gold"

Nowhere in the rule does it ever use the words "Either/Or", Only that there are two possible rewards.


I can certainly see that, until we have more clarifying wordage. I'd respect the argument for it and probably rock, paper, scissors to determine how we'd play it if it came up in game. My preference would be the "either/or" method but until we know more, either would satisfy.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Rubbo
United States
Philadelphia
PA
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Additional question - what if the other die face doesn't provide ANY resource? Like the Celestial Ship's face? Literal interpretation would say you get nothing, but I think the intent is to get Reward B.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
LemonyFresh wrote:
Additional question - what if the other die face doesn't provide ANY resource? Like the Celestial Ship's face? Literal interpretation would say you get nothing, but I think the intent is to get Reward B.


There is an example in the rule book that says if you rolled the 3G shield die + the x3 die (which is not a resource) then you get 9 gold from the shield die. The example implies that all die faces are "resources" and therefore does not matter what you roll the sheild die will always provide points or resources.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Rubbo
United States
Philadelphia
PA
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it implies all faces are resources. I think it implies that the intent of the rule was different than was written.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alex dhs
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mb
Got an official answer from the author (for those of you who speak french, here it is : https://www.facebook.com/groups/206820082829725/permalink/78...).
You never gain 2 rewards. So if possible you gain reward A otherwise reward B
5 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Rubbo
United States
Philadelphia
PA
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thomas metro
Poland
flag msg tools
Hello everyone, just to not open a new thread I will ask question here.

How do you resolve if guardian is rolled on minor blessings?
Do you look at second die previous roll or treat guardian as one die only hence apply B reward (non-victory points one)?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Martins
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
metronix wrote:
Hello everyone, just to not open a new thread I will ask question here.

How do you resolve if guardian is rolled on minor blessings?
Do you look at second die previous roll or treat guardian as one die only hence apply B reward (non-victory points one)?


In the rule book, it says you get the non-colored reward when rolled alone.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.