Recommend
18 
 Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

Werewords» Forums » Reviews

Subject: What makes this game better than Insider, what makes it worse rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Hulsebus
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played 3 games of Insider (all with four players) and 7 games of Werewords (made with index cards: 4 times with 5 players, 3 times with 4 players), and after playing both, I've pre-ordered Werewords today. That being said, I wanted to review the differences between the two for those who were on the fence about which to pick.

What makes Werewords better than Insider

1) You can pick your difficulty level. This is the biggest thing werewords has goings in its favor. The issue that I had with Insider, is that often we were able to guess the word without the Insider really needing to nudge players in the right direction, and so it was hard to guess who the real insider was because they didn't need to do all that much. I really can't understate how big of a difference it makes to be able to pick your difficulty.

2) Cheaper
Amazon preorders for Werewords ([geekurl=http://amzn.to/2u1ireq]link for the lazy[/geekurl]) have MSRP at $20 which I assume will be FLGS prices. Because Insider was an import on the geekstore, the price seems to be about $10 higher

3) Originally in English
There were a few items in Insider that were oddly phrased, which doesn't seem to be an issue for Werewords.

4) The app runs the game well

What makes Werewords worse than Insider

1) You need more players
I played Insider exclusively with 4 players, and that's a number that I think the game works at. I'm a bit wary about playing Werewords again with 4 players just because it means that half the people at the table have special roles (seer/werewolf) which makes deducing it down easier.

2) The graphic design is bad compared to Insider, and the art is cheesy

3) You need to use an app, so you always need to have battery available and be able to give your phone completely over to being a game controller

4) The goals of the game of Werewords get iffy if you really think them through.
People at my table were making odd choices, and it was because they were trying to play to win rather than playing in the spirit of the game. Say, for example, you are playing the werewolf. If you think you know who the seer is, you may actually choose to help the players out, because it will give you the opportunity to guess who the seer is if they win. On the other hand, if they didn't guess the word, you're giving them the opportunity to find you out--which is an opportunity that you may not want to give them.

Why I chose Werewords
Hands down the choice of difficulty levels and the agency that the mayor gets to take in choosing his or her word. I didn't let the need for slightly higher player count hold me back because this is the sort of game that I'm more likely to play with more players (as anyone else who has searched their BGG collection for games that play seven players can attest: sometimes you just need a few extra options)



16 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Branham
United States
Duluth
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
New Dia die Los Muertos. Lighter, sillier, and Stickers.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You missed one. In Insider, there is the possibility that there is no resolution at all (as in the group fails to answer in time).

This opens the door to a few weird things, as it allows the Insider to basically not help and focus entirely on staying hidden.

Werewords answer to this is decent--at least you get a resolution, even with all of the hairy ramifications of that design choice.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin G
United States
Weehawken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there any reason to buy both?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hulsebus
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing I wanted to add to the review: I should mention that we played Werewords without using the tokens, so I can't really say how those add or subtract from the game.

As for "is there any reason to own both", No (but maybe). There is absolutely no reason that you should order both at the same time when there are so many games out there. And sure, I could could come up with some shaky reasons like "Insider has a smaller package so if you travel a lot...." but there isn't really a good reason to own both.

That being said, I can see why if you own one you might choose to switch to the other game, but I think you would trade away/sell the copy that you abandoned.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Moody
United States
Grand Rapids
US-MI
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mikehulsebus wrote:
we played Werewords without using the tokens, so I can't really say how those add or subtract from the game.


I have played it 12 times (in one sitting, can you tell we were having fun?) and I think the tokens definitely add to the game. As the mayor you can make a great play of considering each question, frowning, and hesitating over the choice of tokens before decisively grabbing one and slamming it down on the table.

You're right, the artwork is awful and we all commented on it. I'm debating over whether to buy WW (it's must have so far as I'm concerned) or go to the trouble of PnP so I can have art that equals the fun of the game.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is another interesting difference - not only does Werewords have a traitor but the Mayor can be the werewolf and lie about their answers. Of course if he gets caught in the lie then he will be voted out by the village so it's a risky business but still intriguing in concept.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
There's really no wrong way to use a margarita pool
badge
"What is best in Life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Helpful comparison review for a great game!

Correction, you put the following under the wrong heading:
Quote:
4) The goals of the game of Werewords get iffy if you really think them through.
People at my table were making odd choices, and it was because they were trying to play to win rather than playing in the spirit of the game. Say, for example, you are playing the werewolf. If you think you know who the seer is, you may actually choose to help the players out, because it will give you the opportunity to guess who the seer is if they win. On the other hand, if they didn't guess the word, you're giving them the opportunity to find you out--which is an opportunity that you may not want to give them.


That belongs under what makes it better, IMO. It creates another interesting strategy consideration.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay M
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Redward wrote:
Helpful comparison review for a great game!

Correction, you put the following under the wrong heading:
Quote:
4) The goals of the game of Werewords get iffy if you really think them through.
People at my table were making odd choices, and it was because they were trying to play to win rather than playing in the spirit of the game. Say, for example, you are playing the werewolf. If you think you know who the seer is, you may actually choose to help the players out, because it will give you the opportunity to guess who the seer is if they win. On the other hand, if they didn't guess the word, you're giving them the opportunity to find you out--which is an opportunity that you may not want to give them.


That belongs under what makes it better, IMO. It creates another interesting strategy consideration.


Agreed. If you take these elements out, it's just a game of 20 questions. The enjoyment of these games is making us focus on each other, our mannerisms, contributions, etc. The game itself is "who is the werewolf" or "who is the seer," not "what is the word."
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Chua
Australia
Highett
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
Speaking as someone who own both games currently. And let’s put aside the whole parallel development v.s. “Werewords ripped off Insiders” argument which people seem to have.

Insider is interesting, but I always felt like half a game. I enjoyed it, but it felt like there was something missing which I could not put my finger on. My main gripe with Insiders is that if nobody guesses the secret word, everyone loses. If I’m the Insider and time is ticking down, there really isn’t any incentive for me to do anything - even if I help the group to the secret word, chances are I’m going to be discovered.

Werewords on the other hand, is a much more developed game. The end game triggers make a lot more sense, and the roles just add so much to the game.

Some people seemed to adopt the view that Werewords shouldn’t exist because it “ripped off Insiders”. I vehemently disagree with that. Sure, there are similarities with regards to the central mechanism, but Werewords just added so much more to it, and in the process, made a superior product.

I think people should buy Werewords over Insiders at this point in time, unless:

1) They are enamoured with the small box form factor of Insiders
2) They simply don’t care for the Werewolf theme or the art style.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dániel Lányi
Hungary
Budapest
* -Not Applicable-
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
deserter85 wrote:
I think people should buy Werewords over Insiders at this point in time, unless:

1) They are enamoured with the small box form factor of Insiders
2) They simply don’t care for the Werewolf theme or the art style.


Both are true for me, I still prefer Werewords based on pretty much everything else you wrote
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien K
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
deserter85 wrote:
I think people should buy Werewords over Insiders at this point in time, unless:

1) They are enamoured with the small box form factor of Insiders
2) They simply don’t care for the Werewolf theme or the art style.


Add to this: 3) they prefer the simplicity/purity of Insider.

Unrelated to my opinion of the whole copyright debate (disclaimer: it's not the same as yours), when I first heard about insider I knew it was a game I would love, bought it, and confirmed my first impression. When werewords came out I researched about it, and granted I have not played it, but I do not feel any need to buy it. It feels clunky to me for what should be in the end a very simple game.

I believe that the public is really different. Insider is the simpler game, it's perfect for what it was designed for, and that's what I like about it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
There's really no wrong way to use a margarita pool
badge
"What is best in Life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jujulautre wrote:
deserter85 wrote:
I think people should buy Werewords over Insiders at this point in time, unless:

1) They are enamoured with the small box form factor of Insiders
2) They simply don’t care for the Werewolf theme or the art style.


Add to this: 3) they prefer the simplicity/purity of Insider.

Unrelated to my opinion of the whole copyright debate (disclaimer: it's not the same as yours), when I first heard about insider I knew it was a game I would love, bought it, and confirmed my first impression. When werewords came out I researched about it, and granted I have not played it, but I do not feel any need to buy it. It feels clunky to me for what should be in the end a very simple game.

I believe that the public is really different. Insider is the simpler game, it's perfect for what it was designed for, and that's what I like about it.


meh, if someone wants to play insider with were-words they can. You cannot play were-words with insider. The role of seer and beholder both add a good amount of fun. I don't see the point in playing without them.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien K
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
Redward wrote:
meh, if someone wants to play insider with were-words they can. You cannot play were-words with insider. The role of seer and beholder both add a good amount of fun. I don't see the point in playing without them.


I'm sure you can. But if I have no wish to play werewords, I don't see any reason, forgive me here, to give my money to werewords' designer compared to giving it Insider's designers.
To each his own really. I have no interest in introducing other roles in Insider. Not mentioning that I often play 4 players.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
Redward wrote:

meh, if someone wants to play insider with were-words they can. You cannot play were-words with insider. The role of seer and beholder both add a good amount of fun. I don't see the point in playing without them.


Technically you could play Werewords with Insider (with some limitations):

1.) Choose the master player (you may do this randomly if you like).
2.) Assign the secret roles to all players, this time including the "Master" role token. Now the "Master" is the werewolf/traitor, who tries to prevent the group from finding the answer.
3.) Werewords has 36 yes/no tokens. You could use some tokens or an app as a countdown.

The downside is that the secret roles are limited to Insider (Seer) and Traitor (Werewolf).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phoebe Wild
Australia
South Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
publisher
Cardboard Vault Reviews!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Iceskaarj wrote:
Redward wrote:

meh, if someone wants to play insider with were-words they can. You cannot play were-words with insider. The role of seer and beholder both add a good amount of fun. I don't see the point in playing without them.


Technically you could play Werewords with Insider (with some limitations):

1.) Choose the master player (you may do this randomly if you like).
2.) Assign the secret roles to all players, this time including the "Master" role token. Now the "Master" is the werewolf/traitor, who tries to prevent the group from finding the answer.
3.) Werewords has 36 yes/no tokens. You could use some tokens or an app as a countdown.

The downside is that the secret roles are limited to Insider (Seer) and Traitor (Werewolf).


It would actually be even more limited than that, because the Werewords app also makes adjustments to the gameplay and difficulty based on who has which role.

For example, if the Mayor is the Seer, then there's a high chance the app will give the Mayor the choice of an easier word (because the Villager team doesn't have the advantage of someone helping them to the answer). Similarly, if the Mayor is the Werewolf then he's likely to have at least one harder word to choose from.

The app also contains many more words than Insider, and the functionality to choose themed word lists or particular difficulties
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
MissJekyll wrote:

It would actually be even more limited than that, because the Werewords app also makes adjustments to the gameplay and difficulty based on who has which role.

For example, if the Mayor is the Seer, then there's a high chance the app will give the Mayor the choice of an easier word (because the Villager team doesn't have the advantage of someone helping them to the answer). Similarly, if the Mayor is the Werewolf then he's likely to have at least one harder word to choose from.

The app also contains many more words than Insider, and the functionality to choose themed word lists or particular difficulties


Yeah I agree that there are limitations. For example I would leave out the possibility of the Mayor being the Seer/Werewolf. whistle
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
There's really no wrong way to use a margarita pool
badge
"What is best in Life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Iceskaarj wrote:
MissJekyll wrote:

It would actually be even more limited than that, because the Werewords app also makes adjustments to the gameplay and difficulty based on who has which role.

For example, if the Mayor is the Seer, then there's a high chance the app will give the Mayor the choice of an easier word (because the Villager team doesn't have the advantage of someone helping them to the answer). Similarly, if the Mayor is the Werewolf then he's likely to have at least one harder word to choose from.

The app also contains many more words than Insider, and the functionality to choose themed word lists or particular difficulties


Yeah I agree that there are limitations. For example I would leave out the possibility of the Mayor being the Seer/Werewolf. whistle


That’s easy to do. It’s less interesting but totally an option if that’s what you want to do.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.