Hide
9 Posts

Afrika Korps» Forums » General

Subject: AH's Afrika Korps or D-Day for newbie? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Luke St.Hilaire
msg tools
Looking to introduce a friend to hex/counter games using Avalon Hill's classics "Afrika Korps" and "D-Day". We will probably end up playing both but which one would be the simplest/best to try first?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodger Samuel
United States
Beaver Falls
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd go with Afrika Korps, for two reasons: a) it was my first wargame, back in prehistoric times; and b) it has far fewer pieces, so it plays faster and easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Limited to choose between these two games, I'd say AK too, for the lower piece count and less complexity in the rules.

Either one is a bit of a challenge for the total newbie because of the new concepts that need to be understood, but I think AK is a bit more "graspable".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AK is my choice also. As everyone else said, it's a bit simpler, with fewer pieces. It's also the better game, one that I'd still play today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Lewis
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AK -- without a doubt!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Boyes
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both games have about the same rules: move, combat.

AK has supply, overrun, Rommel and road bonuses for movement, sea movement, and fortress rules.

D-Day has invasions and paratroops. I think it is a bit less complex.

But AK would probably be a better first effort since it has fewer units.

Game on!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Labelle
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tough choice. If you had Stalingrad in the mix I'd go with that. But I have to agree with everyone that AK is the one to go with. Technically it's more advanced than DD having supply units and automatic victory (I'm assuming you have a pre 1970s version of DD. It was overhauled in the 70s). The good thing for a new player is the AK set up is quicker because the starting unit positions are predetermined. In DD there is a lot of planning before you play. And having the Rommel unit adds a fun little element.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen A
United States
Brooklyn
NEW YORK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AK of the two, Battle for Germany is another good beginner game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Danison
United States
Cape Canaveral
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AK all the way!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.