Mystic Vale» Forums » Rules

Subject: Bone-Seer (?) / Knochen-Seher card completly ridiculous rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alter Falter
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've now a couple of games completed with my freshly buyed Mystic Vale + addons and i'm enjoying it very much so far.

All of the cards seem to me fairly balanced with one exception: Bone-Seer (i hope this is the correct translation because i'm playing with the german edition)

The stats are:

2 mana production
1 decay
1 wild spirit(!) production
+ 1 "helmet"
+ 1 VP

and all of that for the cheap price of 2 mana!?

The 1 decay is a laughable opportunity cost for the rest that brings this card as a 2 mana level-1-card. This thing alone will give you a huge snowball effect early and win you the game.

Is there maybe some kind of printing error eventually? Otherwise i have no other explanation how on earth this card could get through the playtesting process.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this a joe or sarcasm?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfram Troeder
Germany
Bruchkoebel
Hessen
flag msg tools
Boardgaming is not a matter of life or death...
badge
...it's much more important than that!
mbmbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:
Is this a joe or sarcasm?

Could you rephrase that for non-native speakers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Neuville

Wisconsin
msg tools
mb
He meant to say joke instead of joe.

I think overall that card is very cheap for what you get but early on that decay symbol will be an issue.

I have only played this 2 player so we only use 12 of the level one enhancement cards each game leaving a giant stack that doesn't get used every game. I think you could remove those 2 or 3 cards and enjoy the game just fine.

I'm guessing that card came in the last expansion and the leaders and other enhancements really change things up. More cards to reward specific strategies. Maybe when playing with both expansions that card ends up not being overpowered for the cost. Haven't played enough to know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
1 additional decay is a big deal. Sure this could kickstart you if you build the right cards but in the meantime you open yourself up to spoiling fairly often.

It seems powerful but I dont' know that I'd purchase it without any way to cancel that decay symbol.
Then again there are effects that make spoiling a good thing in the latest expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That one decay is a rather high cost. When the card appears, you will then have at least one fewer cards in field. At least one, but potentially many, depending on your deck construction.

You are gaining two mana at the start. The other symbols will require one or two other cards to reveal their potential. This means the card has to be revealed 2-3 times (bearing its decay cost upon you) and suffer through as many shuffles before it becomes truly valuable.

Decay and growth are both non-trivial in this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It sure makes you breeze through your deck slower and that's never a good thing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arman Khodaei
United States
California
flag msg tools
No. This card is not OP. Not even close.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We should run card analysis threads. I like getting different opinions on cards from this game.

I'm running a weekly card analysis for Aeon's End and you really get to understand a lot more!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alter Falter
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for your controversial opinions. It's always nice to discuss stuff like this.

I know that the decay is a bad thing but with both expansion you have multiple ways to counter that (or profit for the most decay at the end of the game). Various options come to mind... "on play"-effects to discard a card from your deck or the lvl 1/lvl 2 expansion cards wich give you an optional "growth" symbol in case of spoiling.
The last option is easily accessible because of the wild soul production this card give you.

In my opinion is the high combo potential, because of the "helmet", the strongest factor of this card. It don't block vertical card texts and fits perfectly with nearly every other option.

For just 2 mana i'll pick this card whenever possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G C

Georgia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AlterFalter wrote:
Thanks for your controversial opinions. It's always nice to discuss stuff like this.

I know that the decay is a bad thing but with both expansion you have multiple ways to counter that (or profit for the most decay at the end of the game). Various options come to mind... "on play"-effects to discard a card from your deck or the lvl 1/lvl 2 expansion cards wich give you an optional "growth" symbol in case of spoiling.
The last option is easily accessible because of the wild soul production this card give you.

In my opinion is the high combo potential, because of the "helmet", the strongest factor of this card. It don't block vertical card texts and fits perfectly with nearly every other option.

For just 2 mana i'll pick this card whenever possible.

The problem with this card is that all the cards that would synergize with it are a lot more expensive. With maybe one exception in each case, green trees and cards that benefit from helmets are tier 2. So if you buy this card early, you have to deal with half of your cards having decay for at least one cycle through your cards, if not 2-3.

That said, I could definitely see this card being effective in combination with the 6-cost card that gives you one tree per helmet. Buying those two cards together for 8 in the midgame could be a powerful combo. But it's no more powerful than other combos.

Cards that add decay to your deck are supposed to be powerful; that's why they have the penalty of a decay attached. If you can nullify that decay through careful card-crafting, you have a powerful tool on your hands. But if you don't, you will constantly trip yourself up, while those who have more 'purified' decks race past you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.