Hide
21 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Board game for 2 - best option rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Agata Pe
msg tools
Hey, I'm looking for a game to play with my boyfriend - a game that is either designed for 2 or plays well with just two players (without this strong feeling that it would be way better if we had more players you sometimes get). I like games that focus on development/expansion (like Sid Meier's Civilization, Agricola), whereas he prefers games that are more competitive (like SmallWorld, Game of Thrones). We both like complicated games, that can be played for 60+ minutes, with lots of options. Not really a fan of card games.

The 2 of us played:
- Pandemic Legacy - we loved it!
- Letters form Whitechapel - it is rather okay, but can get boring after a few times
- 7 Wonders: Duel - we didn't like it that much, quite predictable
- Splendor - nahhh...

We would love to try Twilight Struggle and 1775 Rebellion, but they are all sold out in our country (Poland)

So, here's what I'm thinking:
- Scythe
- Five Tribes
- Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization
- Blood Rage

Which one of those would be the best option for 2? Or perhaps there is something better? Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody
United States
Placentia
Select state
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Wars: Rebellion would be worth checking out.

The games you listed all play better with 3+ players than with 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My 'search europe boadgame store' spit out

https://www.planszostrefa.pl/pl/searchquery/twilight+struggl...

so maybe you can get Twilight Struggle after all.

It also split out https://www.planszostrefa.pl/pl/p/Sekigahara-The-Unification...

when I looked for Sekigahara: The Unification of Japan which I like better than Twilight Struggle, take a look and see if it has any appeal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moy Uba
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Polis: Fight for the Hegemony is another war game with a bit of a euro/economic style to it which is made for two players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zombie homer
msg tools
designer
I highly recommend Grand Austria Hotel.

It's an excellent 2 player game, highly thematic for a slightly complicated euro. Can be played in 60 mins, with lots of options to explore, very high replayability due to cards and scoring conditions that varies for each game. To top all that off - beautiful components.

Each player has an individual tableau that may satisfy your love for development. It is competitive but may not have the direct interaction that your boyfriend prefers. I'm also not sure about the availability in Poland but the game received a 2nd edition print recently and shouldn't be that hard to find.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Through the Ages will be significantly more difficult than anything you've played so far. Check out the rulebook, it's pretty intimidating.

Scythe is mostly a multiplayer solitaire games, especially at low player counts.

Five Tribes is a very good game, that most people recommend with 2. I'd go for that one or for Blood Rage. It's a very different game with 2 than with 3 or 4, but still a very good game, that would deserve to be in top 20 games on its own.

I'd also check Battlelore 2nd edition, Kemet, Concordia and Keyflower.

All are great with 2. if you want more details about one of them i'll be glad to answer.

I haven't played them, but 4x games such as Eclipse should also fill the bill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cookie Monster
Belgium
De Pinte
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andonezja wrote:

So, here's what I'm thinking:
- Scythe
- Five Tribes
- Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization
- Blood Rage

Which one of those would be the best option for 2? Or perhaps there is something better? Thanks!

Scythe is great at all player counts, but is of course less interactive with a lower player count. But it is a great game.

Five Tribes is excellent for 2 (and more). The fact that you get two turns per round with 2 players makes this even more strategic, because you may want to make sure you get two actions in a row.

I wouldn't recommend Blood Rage for 2.

And I haven't played Through the Ages yet, so can't comment on that.

Other games I can recommend (for 2 players): Yokohama, Glass Road, Great Western Trail, Orléans, Targi, Terraforming Mars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris F
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I play a lot of 2 player games that can scale for more. We especially like:

Agricola
Bora Bora
Castles of Burgundy - very cheap to buy at the moment £18
Great Western Trail
London
La Granja
Ticket to Ride Nordic

Games we like specifically designed for 2 players:
Rivals of Catan - especially with the expansions to give some variety
7 Wonders Duel - I know the original OP doesn't like this but feel it is an excellent 2 player game especially if both players are evenly matched.

Sorry for the lack of links to the games have no idea how to do it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nestor Ivanor
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Grand Austria Hotel, me and my girlfriend have owned this game for about a month now and it's our second most played game at 12 plays. It's second to our favorite game for two; The Castles of Burgundy.

Also +1 for Through the Ages. Played it yesterday, took us just under 4 hours.

+1 for Agricola
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
caoc120603 wrote:
My wife and I play a lot of 2 player games that can scale for more. We especially like:

Agricola Agricola
Bora Bora Bora Bora
Castles of Burgundy - very cheap to buy at the moment £18 The Castles of Burgundy
Great Western Trail Great Western Trail
London London
La Granja La Granja
Ticket to Ride Nordic Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries

7 Wonders Duel - I know the original OP doesn't like this but feel it is an excellent 2 player game especially if both players are evenly matched.

I added them for you here.

How to do it -- when you are making a post, up at the top is a pull down menu that says: 'Insert Geek Link'. Great big thing in the middle of the top of the page, above the subject.

Click on the arrow pointing down. Select 'Board Game' (3rd from the top) You will get a box that says 'search' type the name of the game in there, you only need the first few letters. Out will pop some choices for you, including the game you want. Select that.

Out pops a link right where you were writing your post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asaf Fabbi
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
Proud member of the Cult of the New.
badge
The King of Meeples
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for five tribes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moy Uba
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I often wonder if people actually read the original post in these recommendation threads. She already said she likes Agricola, seems a bit of a waste of time recommending a game to someone when you already know they like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bear Ventures
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
Hey,

Most(!) games designed for 2 players tend to be on the lighter side.

But I would recommend Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar, which is probably my and my girlfriend favorite game.
It plays great with any numbers of players (2-4). 2 is even slightly better in my opinion as 4 means quite a bit of downtime.
Depending on how much of thinkers you are, 60 min seems about right.
It is a heavily strategic game and the amount of valid strategies is amazing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris F
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lacreighton wrote:
caoc120603 wrote:

Agricola Agricola
Bora Bora Bora Bora
Castles of Burgundy - very cheap to buy at the moment £18 The Castles of Burgundy
Great Western Trail Great Western Trail
London London
La Granja La Granja
Ticket to Ride Nordic Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries

I added them for you here.

How to do it -- when you are making a post, up at the top is a pull down menu that says: 'Insert Geek Link'. Great big thing in the middle of the top of the page, above the subject.

Click on the arrow pointing down. Select 'Board Game' (3rd from the top) You will get a box that says 'search' type the name of the game in there, you only need the first few letters. Out will pop some choices for you, including the game you want. Select that.

Out pops a link right where you were writing your post.

Thanks Laura. Will now add links to everything I possibly can
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Willett
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Scythe quite a bit, but it is better with more people playing. I think 4-5 is the sweet spot for that one. I think this one would be good for satisfying both of you a bit.

Through the Ages would be my recommendation from what you have there. Playing with 2 removes war and other things from the game, but I like the economic stuff that it has without it. Note: I've only played the older original one, not the new version.

This one will be a bit odd, but similar to Scythe, I like Eclipse. While this game is made for more players than two, playing it with two players makes it a bit more economic and exploration focused. The other reason I recommend this is because you can still get into more fighting with the ancient aliens in the system before you start. This allows for some more involvement even if you aren't fighting each other that much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dsco bee
United Kingdom
Leeds
flag msg tools
Bgg cultist
badge
Bgg cultist
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Sekigahara, it's fantastic, my girlfriend and I love it.

A bit different from the things you mentioned but, I don't you'd go far wrong with the (recently reprinted) Akrotiri; it's a real brainburner of a two-player strategic Euro that looks absolutely beautiful. A recent purchase for us and rapidly becoming a favourite. The skills required are a bit different from any other game I've played too, it's quite unusual - very visual. Looks fairly simple at first glance but believe me it REALLY isn't when you start playing!

Troyes might also be worth a look?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Frantz
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dscoBee82 wrote:
Troyes might also be worth a look?

+1 for Troyes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agata Pe
msg tools
Thank you so much for all of the recommendations! Took me awhile to go through all of them and I think we'll start with Five Tribes and Grand Austria Hotel (which, I suppose, will be more fun for me than for my BF whistle ). But we will definitely try to check the rest of those games at some point!

Also, quick question about Through the Ages. I've been wondering - is this game very similiar to Sid Meier's Civilization - the boardgame? It used to be our favourite, but I guess we've overplayed it already. I wouldn't like to buy something that will only slightly differ from what we already have. What do you think?

Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Murphy
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One more suggestion: Roll for the Galaxy is one of my girlfriend and my favorite relatively quick 2-player games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Tucker
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
A game is a series of decisions; a good game is a series of interesting decisions
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andonezja wrote:
Also, quick question about Through the Ages. I've been wondering - is this game very similiar to Sid Meier's Civilization - the boardgame? It used to be our favourite, but I guess we've overplayed it already. I wouldn't like to buy something that will only slightly differ from what we already have. What do you think?
You didn't include a link or have it listed among your owned games, but I assume you mean Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game, not Sid Meier's Civilization: The Boardgame.
In either case, both of those games have a spatial aspect, while Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization and Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization do not and are basically card games with some tracking mats.
The Through the Ages games do technology quite differently, and are definitely worth playing if not owning in addition to Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game, or instead of Sid Meier's Civilization: The Boardgame.
To be fair, I tend to be a fan of civ games, and have not found many that I would say are too similar to not be worth owning in addition to the others (the problem with Sid Meier's Civilization: The Boardgame is that it's not all that good, not that it's too similar; some other games might not work for certain people). The only prominent example I can think of is the similarity of the Through the Ages games to Nations. I much prefer the Through the Ages games, and in particular do not like Nations for 2 player. Opinions will vary though.

More games for your perusal:

Competitive:
The Colonists
Le Havre
Bora Bora
At the Gates of Loyang
Seasons
Suburbia
Agricola/Caverna: The Cave Farmers
Core Worlds particularly with the Core Worlds: Galactic Orders expansion
Macao
Trajan
Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar
Navegador
Mage Knight Board Game (works well cooperatively too)
World Without End
Trains
In the Year of the Dragon
Russian Railroads
The Voyages of Marco Polo
Kingsburg (I highly recommend the Kingsburg: To Forge a Realm for games after the first)
The Castles of Burgundy
Walnut Grove
Saint Petersburg Warning: this is basically a card game.
Stone Age
Roll for the Galaxy

Cooperative:
Arkham Horror
Note: I would advise any players new to Arkham to only play with the base game for their first several plays, until they are familiar not only with game play but basic strategies as well.
For Arkham never add an expansion until you are fairly familiar playing with all other expansions added up to that point.

Arkham is more complex, difficult, and strategic game with more expansions added in. Should you pick the game up, when you are ready for expansions I would first recommend a big box expansion, specifically Arkham Horror: Dunwich Horror Expansion and then once you are familiar with that a small box like Arkham Horror: The Curse of the Dark Pharaoh Expansion (Revised Edition) or Arkham Horror: The King in Yellow Expansion.
Adding expansions to Arkham makes the game much more difficult if you stray from the optimal number of investigators (4 plus 1 per expansion board beyond the first). So with all the expansions, you will want 6 investigators, regardless of how many players you have (if you have players experienced enough to play with all the expansions, playing multiple investigators should not be difficult at all).
Eldritch Horror
Play time for Eldritch Horror varies much more with the number of players than in Arkham. This means it is quicker if you are generally playing with 2 or fewer, but longer if you are usually playing with 5 or more.
For Eldritch Horror, you can and likely should pick up an expansion or two when you buy the game:
Forsaken Lore to give each of the base game Ancient Ones a couple more Mysteries (in my opinion they're still short by at least 2 for what the base game should have released with) and otherwise flesh out the game a bit.
At least one expansion with the Focus mechanism: Mountains of Madness, Strange Remnants, and The Dreamlands all have this.
After that you can add as your enjoyment dictates, there aren't any other stand out features, and they all have similar problems with the implementation of some of their mechanisms.
Eldritch changes little in complexity, and pretty much not at all in difficulty and strategy with expansions added.

In general though, Arkham is a different and demonstrably better game. However ease in learning how to play, especially as regards to rules as a reference, and game length with 2 players sometimes means that players end up getting Eldritch instead.

Flash Point: Fire Rescue and Dead Men Tell No Tales and Defenders of the Last Stand and Defenders of the Realm (and most other Pandemic-inspired games)
Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: The Thames Murders & Other Cases and Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: Jack the Ripper & West End Adventures and Mythos Tales
Gears of War: The Board Game (availability may be an issue)
Conquest of Planet Earth: The Space Alien Game
Witch of Salem (very difficult to win)

MoM:2e *caveat: I have only played this with 3 or more, but am reasonably certain (based on game play) that this will play quite well with 2.
Mechs vs. Minions *caveat: I have only played this with 3 or more, but am reasonably certain (based on game play) that this will play quite well with 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Boschen
United States
Santa Cruz
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm amazed that you didn't like 7 Wonders Duel. It's so great (for my wife and I).

Blood Rage is very good, but wife and I didn't think it played to it's potential with 2. You really need 3+ to get the struggle to balance well.

I don't know what attributes make a game appealing to you two. I find these to be very tight designs with great decisions and they don't drag on. If theme is more important to you, then these may not scratch the itch as well as more "thematic" games.

Patchwork
Jaipur
Viticulture
Gold West
Samurai

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.