Martians: A Story of Civilization» Forums » General

Subject: Worth getting or not? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Raul
Romania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the possibility to take the Kickstarter edition at a fair price. I was watching the game since a while and because of the very bad written rulebook, I haven't taken it yet.

Now that the final version of the 2nd edition of the rulebook has been posted for almost a week, I need the feedback from players that know the game and know the differences between the rulebooks.

For someone who has no idea of the game, if I grab the game and start playing it, does the second edition rulebook allow me to do so? Or is it still hard to grasp?

Even though, does it deserve the dedication and effort to learn the game, gameplay wise?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mihir Shah
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rault wrote:
I have the possibility to take the Kickstarter edition at a fair price. I was watching the game since a while and because of the very bad written rulebook, I haven't taken it yet.

Now that the final version of the 2nd edition of the rulebook has been posted for almost a week, I need the feedback from players that know the game and know the differences between the rulebooks.

For someone who has no idea of the game, if I grab the game and start playing it, does the second edition rulebook allow me to do so? Or is it still hard to grasp?

Even though, does it deserve the dedication and effort to learn the game, gameplay wise?

Are you interested in Competitive, co-operative or solo mode?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raul
Romania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All of them. I'll play solo and 2 players only
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cartwright
United Kingdom
Spilsby
LINCS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked up a KS copy in a trade, it's an interesting game but the rulebooks a mess. Apparently they are meant to be doing a new one soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Speare
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
tee hee, that tickles!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Learned competitive from 1st edition rulebook, liked it, bought it. If you are interested in coop as well I'd especially say go for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raul
Romania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the new rulebook a real improvement?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Downie
United Kingdom
Wirral
Merseyside
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rulebook is so much better. Even after some of us went through the 1ed rulebook in detail there were still so many grey areas. This one is much nicer. Go grab it in the files section.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Delith Malistar
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
mbmbmbmbmb
I concur with Erik. The rulebook is so much better now. I learned the game via Version 1 so it took a bit but the game is pretty fun once you get the rules down. I have only played solo however so can't comment on the other modes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game, in my opinion, is fantastic! Now, as it's been mentioned, quite a few of us spent hours refining the rules into their present form. I love the puzzly nature of the game, but I also ONLY play it solo or co-op.

Cheers,
Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mihir Shah
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Professor wrote:
The game, in my opinion, is fantastic! Now, as it's been mentioned, quite a few of us spent hours refining the rules into their present form. I love the puzzly nature of the game, but I also ONLY play it solo or co-op.

Cheers,
Joe

Since Joe has given the thumbs up for solo and co-op, i can give you the thumbs up for the competitive play, though you will have to variant it a little bit to make it terrific.

All in all a must buy game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raul
Romania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a play-through out there that is right rules wise? Either modes?
Just to be sure I am having the right impression of the gameplay.

Otherwise, it's the KS edition at only 67$ so I guess that should be a pretty good price considering the difference in content from retail
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raul
Romania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I finally got the game and I must say that after watching Ant Lab Games play-through and reading the 2nd Rulebook once, it is pretty clear and straight forward. I had like 2-3 questions only for which I've found the answers here on the forums.

Maybe the one section in the rulebook that is a bit unclear is the Excavation part. At least I couldn't figured it out from the rulebook and I had to read a whole thread related to it to understand the wording used in the second rulebook, specifically this paragraph:

You may move the Machine in any direction,
provided that it does not move any further from
any unrevealed tokens (increases its distance from
the excavation tokens lying facedown on the board.
Exception: when all excavation tokens on the board are
uncovered, then any direction is allowed). ).

Now I'll have to get it to the table to play later today, but it seems that there are some nice paths and I like the inter-connectivity between actions so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.