Hide
9 Posts

Twilight Struggle» Forums » Rules

Subject: Our man in Tehran rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mikael Stockholm
msg tools
I have played TS many times now but this is a card that I am still struggle with understanding the rules. It is still not clear to me who will actually get the cards that are not removed. I thought the Soviet player would get all those card but then I got a card on Steam as the US that I thought that I would let the Soviet deal with and which I certainly did not want on my hand. Will the Soviet player get card 1, 3 and 5 (which is the way that the deck is usually handed out) and US player get card 2 and 4? Please clarify.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald
Germany
Dresden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The draw deck is shuffled after returning the cards, so it's random.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moy Uba
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Huh? You look at the top five cards in the draw stack, discard as many as you want (ie. Cards which help your opponent), put any you don't want to discard back on the draw stack and reshuffle.

I thought this was pretty clear on the card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikael Stockholm
msg tools
Perhaps it is because my mother tongue is not English (although my working language is actually English) but there are some cards that opens up for different interpretations. I have now finally a grasp on all cards (mainly through learning by doing on Steam) except the Tehran-card.

But if the cards that are not removed are put into the draw deck which is to be reshuffled again then I understand perfectly well how it works. I was just unlucky to draw the card that I wanted the opponent (the USSR) to have on his hand.

I still believe that triggering the event is usually better than to use the measly 2 ops alhough it is not possible to secure that cards that disfavors USSR actually ends up on his hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mikael Stockholm wrote:
Perhaps it is because my mother tongue is not English (although my working language is actually English) but there are some cards that opens up for different interpretations. I have now finally a grasp on all cards (mainly through learning by doing on Steam) except the Tehran-card.

But if the cards that are not removed are put into the draw deck which is to be reshuffled again then I understand perfectly well how it works. I was just unlucky to draw the card that I wanted the opponent (the USSR) to have on his hand.

I still believe that triggering the event is usually better than to use the measly 2 ops alhough it is not possible to secure that cards that disfavors USSR actually ends up on his hand.

Yes, OMiT is generally considered a worthwhile event to play, though its exact power depends on what's left in the deck, for reasons that you describe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goulette
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to play this card after a shuffle, especially if I am not holding any scoring cards. Then I am hoping to draw one of the scoring cards that I don't want to see. That can be a big game swinger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Shugars
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
anaturalharmonic wrote:
I like to play this card after a shuffle, especially if I am not holding any scoring cards. Then I am hoping to draw one of the scoring cards that I don't want to see. That can be a big game swinger.

The absolutely most powerful time is when there are 5 or fewer cards left in the deck and you know that one or more are scoring cards you don't want. Then Our Man Triggers the reshuffle, and those scoring cards are gone for good. Admittedly an edge case, but it can happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I suspect you may be playing it wrong.

Our Man in Tehran does not trigger a reshuffle. You only shuffle the draw pile so the US player does not know where the cards he decided to keep in are. No way that would put a card out completely.

As US, you may opt to put the scoring card in the discard (and avoid being scored for sure on the next turn) but it will be reshuffled back in the draw pile right away at the beginning of the next turn (there are only 5 cards left). So you may get it anyway.

Only exception would be on Turn 7. When Late War Cards are added into the draw pile. Only on that edge case would you have gotten rid of that scoring card for good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Clemente
United States
Seabrook
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I did not understand what happened to the undiscarded cards, too. But, any cards not discarded are reshuffled into the deck. So based on this, if I see a valuable neutral card, like ABM treaty, I dispose of it, also, because it would benefit the USSR player. And obviously, if a scoring card would hurt me, I will discard, while if it will help me, I will return it.

So the long and the short is I return US cards and scoring cards that help me. I dispose all others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.