Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Sol: Last Days of a Star» Forums » General

Subject: Game might never end? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The game can only end when the 13th solar flare is drawn. The only time solar flares/instability cards are drawn is on convert or activate actions in the inner 3 layers, or if sundivers hurl.

There are incentives (greater output per action, instability effects) to use the inner 3 layers, but nothing actually forcing players to. So it seems possible for players to do everything in the outer 2 layers, and for the clock to never advance.

An unstable equilibrium should occur, where someone will get behind and need to "defect" and enter the inner 3, but I find it interesting that nothing actually forces the clock to move. The solo game requires a draw every orbit, but I wonder why that wasn't part of the multiplayer game.

Or maybe I'm missing something. Curious to hear people's thoughts on this.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Schorr
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There's no way of gaining momentum in the outer and inner orbit. To gain momentum, you must fly a Sun Diver into the center - which requires building gates (making you draw cards) and draw a card -or- convert a tower - which can only be placed in the inner 3 circles.

Technically you can have the game not end, but nobody would make any progress either. Settlers of Catan can last forever if nobody ever builds roads.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
One other weird thing: the rules mention that at game end, "any towers in outer orbit activate". But towers can only be built in the inner 3 layers:

The Sol rulebook p. 11 wrote:
The pattern is 3 sundivers on 3 different layers (adjacent spaces). The tower is placed in the space where the deepest sundiver was sacrificed.


Not really sure any of this is a problem, per se, but I am picturing long games, with turn after turn of infrastructure build-up in orbit before things really get going.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Schorr
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Towers can technically be in the outer or inner orbit if someone built it as a vestigial station at the beginning of the game (if you're playing with that variant).
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
frogzop wrote:
Technically you can have the game not end, but nobody would make any progress either. Settlers of Catan can last forever if nobody ever builds roads.

Thanks, that's helpful. As I noted, the game does have incentives to increase your action efficiency.

I am still worried, though, about situations where advancing the clock benefits others more than you. If every player thinks that (and perhaps correctly, since if I don't advance the clock but strengthen my infrastructure, the next player may then view me as most likely to benefit and do the same, etc.), there's the potential for a long, tedious game, even if not a neverending one.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
waddball wrote:
One other weird thing: the rules mention that at game end, "any towers in outer orbit activate". But towers can only be built in the inner 3 layers:

The Sol rulebook p. 11 wrote:
The pattern is 3 sundivers on 3 different layers (adjacent spaces). The tower is placed in the space where the deepest sundiver was sacrificed.


Not really sure any of this is a problem, per se, but I am picturing long games, with turn after turn of infrastructure build-up in orbit before things really get going.


There is also a way to move some structures using certain abilities (Juggernaut) as well which can let you move towers to the outer rings
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
waddball wrote:
I am still worried, though, about situations where advancing the clock benefits others more than you. If every player thinks that (and perhaps correctly, since if I don't advance the clock but strengthen my infrastructure, the next player may then view me as most likely to benefit and do the same, etc.), there's the potential for a long, tedious game, even if not a neverending one.


I have played this game dozens of times and it's never been an issue. It's really not too different from any other game that allows players the chance to toy with the game length. It will be in the interest of some (those winning) to get the game moving while others will want to to slow things down. That's one of the central struggles of the game and it's lovely.
5 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Smith
United States
Pasadena
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
In my last game we had a slow start with almost no cards being drawn. It seemed like all the players agreed to build up the engines. But then the first player to take a deep dive to start building stations close to core seems to spark all the players to start playing a little fast with those card draws.

So, if you find yourself in a stalemate game all you need to do is build the channel to the core and start forcing change.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The designer has confirmed in This post that the first player to reach 55 Momentum wins immediately.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Born-of-Ashes wrote:
The designer has confirmed in This post that the first player to reach 55 Momentum wins immediately.


To be fair, he said that was the original intention, but that it had never happened in all of their games so it was never bothered to be put in the rules. He did go on to say that if anyone gets to 55 though, you are free to tell them that they have won, lol.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Linger
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
frogzop wrote:
Towers can technically be in the outer or inner orbit if someone built it as a vestigial station at the beginning of the game (if you're playing with that variant).


Towers may also reach the outer orbit if the Juggernaut card is in play, which allows players to move their Stations around as if they were Sundivers.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.