Popular Tags: [View All]
Joshua Wolf
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I've won the game twice now by focusing on food production and head reduction, and prioritizing water during scavenging. I think I had one actual combat encounter in both games, and I ran away the first round because I lacked weapons.

Are people finding combat a viable strategy? I can see gunning (pardon the pun) for the metal workshop fitting and upgrade to weapon production, but you're sacrificing things more directly beneficial like food and heat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian and Keisha Pihl
United States
St Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree. 5 games and I only tried combat once just to test it out. Best I've done is when I've found food, grabbed water, and been lucky with night raids. I wish weapons did more in night raids. A weapon maybe reduces damages by 1 or 2 but that is nothing when you get the 8 token and 5 wound card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Combat isn't really supposed go be 'viable' it can be made 'survivable' but is almost universally best avoided.

For night raids board ups are key.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João Guisado
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe with the tactics expansion it becomes more viable?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Scaife
Australia
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I don't think it is a viable strategy but there are individual times when you may want to embrace it.

In my last game I had 3 characters scavenging. Two of them had good prowess and they has a shotgun and a hatchet vc 2 thugs with assualt rifle and knife via a residents card. Shotgun blast wiped one straightaway but he did get two shots off via the assualt rifle. One hit with two wounds (no rerolls) but as I had a narrative action card ignoring wounds from one round of combat was all good. The hatchet man of ours rolled a hatchet symbol at his second roll and the defending thug with a knife also rolled a hatchet (miss) with his only roll.

Traded the weapons for meds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip W.
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Euros are better with dice!
mbmbmbmbmb
bkpihl wrote:
Agree. 5 games and I only tried combat once just to test it out. Best I've done is when I've found food, grabbed water, and been lucky with night raids. I wish weapons did more in night raids. A weapon maybe reduces damages by 1 or 2 but that is nothing when you get the 8 token and 5 wound card.

A hatchet is vital in night raids, giving you a 1 in 6 chance of cancelling the night raid outright. With prowess that increases to 30,6% (prowess 1), all the way up to 66,5% (Roman with a reinforced door for a total prowess of 5).

As for combat, with a few well-equipped characters and a hiding place (for the backstab) you can not only make it survivable, but not worry even if you run into soldiers (OK, you still worry, but it's not that dangerous).

Combat as a main strategy, I've only encountered a situation like that once, when I wanted to go head-to-head against some a pair survivors to get their hatchet to exchange my shotgun, but I wouldn't recommend it as a strategy - there's always a risk of it going badly, and once you're wounded it's waaaay hard to get better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.