Subject: Any regrets? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is an excellent box, perhaps the best so far. Upper Deck continues to go beyond our expectations when it comes to the mechanics included. However, like with any expansions, there are some characters that make it into the box and others that have to be left out.

The X-men comics are so rich that they could not include everything the fans would have wanted. I still hope that we'll see expansions focused on our beloved mutants in the future, and perhaps even X-force ones!

So, assuming that we could have gotten a box without a cap on the number of cards, what would you have liked?

1. Bastion, leading the Human Council (Bolivar Trask, Graydon Creed, William Stryker, Steven Lang)

2. Donald Pierce, leading The Reavers

Perhaps heroic versions of Magneto and Sabretooth, Warpath, Sunspot, a Time-Travelling version of Iceman, Blink (remember Teleport?)

And..well...that's it. They checked most of the boxes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure not all the boxes got checked off on everybody's wish list, but I would be hard pressed to say I regretted anything in this set.

Rachel Summers was a missed opportunity though, unless they are working on a Excalibur set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ranger Rob
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Keeper of the *** Marvel Master Database *** A custom card directory for Marvel Legendary.
badge
Find the Marvel Master Database in the Variants section of the Marvel Legendary Forums.
mbmbmbmbmb

Who is the most significant X-Men left without their own X-Men affiliated set?

No making fun of me for the Duct Tape that covers half of each card in certain card set from this latest expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have liked the rest of the old X-Factor heroes: Multiple Man, Strong Guy, Wolfsbane, and Quicksilver.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rob, can you explain the first column in your pic there? Specifically, the numbers over there. It's probably obvious, but I'm just not catching it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ranger Rob
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Keeper of the *** Marvel Master Database *** A custom card directory for Marvel Legendary.
badge
Find the Marvel Master Database in the Variants section of the Marvel Legendary Forums.
mbmbmbmbmb
Roughly...the issue numbers of the original Xmen and uncanny xmen comic. First group was 100 issues.
A who was on the team when list.
Not precise but close enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not even going to nitpick on this one. Its a classic in my book.

As far as missing x-men, I guess I'd still like a Forge, though admittedly x-force Forge is pretty darn sweet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason McManus
United States
Saraland
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My only regrets for this set are the misprints. Animatronic clown with wrong attack value and the X-23 card Assssssassssin.

I would have really liked a Nate Grey and Rachel Grey/Summers to round out the Summers Clan though.

This was a very solid expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jam37wcc wrote:
My only regrets for this set are the misprints. Animatronic clown with wrong attack value and the X-23 card Assssssassssin.

Yup!

That said, if there was no limit, I would've liked to have seen:

The Reavers (henchmen or villain group)
Master Mold (mastermind)
Brood Queen (mastermind)
Epic Magneto (mastermind)
Magneto (hero)
Armor
Rachel Grey
Hope Summers
all of the major New Mutants as their own playable heroes
Siryn
Strong Guy
Fantomex
Meggan (so we can have the full original Excalibur team!)
Leech (bystander)
Artie (bystander)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris May
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Feeling lucky punk? Well, do ya?
mbmbmbmbmb
swheelock wrote:
I would have liked the rest of the old X-Factor heroes: Multiple Man, Strong Guy, Wolfsbane, and Quicksilver.

This is what I want, too.

Also the rest of x-force: warpath, shatterstar, boom boom, feral, rictor, siryn, sunspot. And a new cable. I know,it's a lot to ask for a second one but I hate the first one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Rosenbaum
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dazzl-- sorry, instinct.

Honestly, this set is pretty much aces in my book. I don't think there's any major stand outs that are missing for me. I still would like a kick-ass Storm, and Sunfire would be great to have. Oh, and Blink.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niall Smyth
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RangerRob24 wrote:

No making fun of me for the Duct Tape that covers half of each card in certain card set from this latest expansion.

Is this chart complaining there's no Havok? But I thought he was in it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Yabu
United States
California
flag msg tools
I think he's referring to Colossus?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
poshniallo wrote:
RangerRob24 wrote:

Is this chart complaining there's no Havok? But I thought he was in it?

And Havok is listed in the #1-#99 row.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
swirlsaepi wrote:
And Havok is listed in the #1-#99 row.

I have to admit, I still am not really understanding what I'm reading in that chart. Havoc has been in way more than 99 comics and there's no way on Earth that Cannonball and X-23 have been in more than twice the number of comics than the original five.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Peterson
msg tools
David, I think the left column is issue numbers of uncanny X-Men. So this is basically a list of when each x-man was introduced into the main comics series as a proxy for how how long they've been around, and thus more deserving of being included. It's a little off as the Giant Size crew were introduced in the late 90s, but it's an interesting way of thinking about it.

Edit: I take it back. The more I look at the chart the more confusing it gets. Rogue was introduced much earlier than the 200s issues and time traveling jean grey has now been in a main series for several years so not really a one-time character.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Puderbaugh
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The chart is really just a way to loosely set up teams based on chronology for Rob's campaign. Just don't read too much into it.

And yeah, the main point of posting in this thread was that Colossus has not yet been included in a satisfactory way - which I agree with.

EDIT: RangerRob can corret me if I'm wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ranger Rob
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah...just me complaining that there is no pure Colossus.

Chart is roughly broken into comic issue number and who was on the team during that time span. Meaning from issue #1 through #99 the team was cyclops, beast, iceman... Issue #100 through #200 of Uncanny X-men had the next group of Storm, Colossus, Nightcrawler, Wolvie.

Who was with the team when and what teamates were on the team at the same time. If that makes sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm starting to understand why you feel that way about the lack of a proper Colossus. He is an awesome character and I'd be up for a small box full of different versions of Colossus (and, to answer potential questions, yes, I'd buy anything Legendary that is Marvel-related):

1. Colossus (X-men)
2. Phoenix Force Colossus (X-men)
3. Excalibur Colossus (Excalibur)
4. Horseman of Apocalypse Colossus (no affiliation)
5. Jugger-Colossus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Rosewater
Switzerland
Zürich
Switzerland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AdelinDumitru wrote:
Upper Deck continues to go beyond our expectations when it comes to the mechanics included.

I am sorry that I have to disagree. UD was always conservative introducing innovations to the game system.
Yes traps are innovative, but already the so-called third currency "piercing energy" runs on crutches to be compatible with the rest.

With backwards compatibility it's very hard to be true innovative.
So they surely got not beyond my expectations.
If X-Men becomes the best expansion will show the test of time, now it's only the cult of the new.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Goodsound wrote:

I am sorry, but I have to disagree with you. I guess it might depend on what someone interprets to be "innovative." If you want to make a Marvel Legendary set that isn't backwards compatible, I'm not going to call it "innovative", I'm going to call it a "different game". I feel like they packed a lot of new content into this box, including a new currency (PE), two new Villain cards (Horrors and Traps), and more.

Goodsound wrote:
the so-called third currency "piercing energy" runs on crutches to be compatible with the rest.

Depends on what you want from it. A lot of us were worried that it was going to take over the game, it certainly looked very powerful. However, it was implemented in such a way that it's not a game ender, and I like it that way. It's extremely useful for taking out Villains and Henchman. I played a couple of games where someone who focused on PE would consistently clear out the city, and while not defeating the Mastermind consistently, they would still end up with the most VP. I prefer this implementation of PE because it gives it a different use than attack.

Different strokes for different folks though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason McManus
United States
Saraland
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jhochges wrote:
Goodsound wrote:

I am sorry, but I have to disagree with you. I guess it might depend on what someone interprets to be "innovative." If you want to make a Marvel Legendary set that isn't backwards compatible, I'm not going to call it "innovative", I'm going to call it a "different game". I feel like they packed a lot of new content into this box, including a new currency (PE), two new Villain cards (Horrors and Traps), and more.

Goodsound wrote:
the so-called third currency "piercing energy" runs on crutches to be compatible with the rest.

Depends on what you want from it. A lot of us were worried that it was going to take over the game, it certainly looked very powerful. However, it was implemented in such a way that it's not a game ender, and I like it that way. It's extremely useful for taking out Villains and Henchman. I played a couple of games where someone who focused on PE would consistently clear out the city, and while not defeating the Mastermind consistently, they would still end up with the most VP. I prefer this implementation of PE because it gives it a different use than attack.

Different strokes for different folks though.

I have found that piercing energy only takes over the game when there are 2 heroes with that ability and depending on how everyone is recruiting it can still be hard to get enough to knock out the mastermind. Even with 2 heroes I could only consistently make 5 piercing energy which is good for Arcade but not the tougher masterminds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, and you need a small deck even if you have 2-3 PE cards. I had in the last game 3 of Polaris' piercing energy common and i could barely hit some henchman as i almost never drew 2 PE cards in the same turn...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Colossus / Wolverine divided card is a bit of a joke.

Making one of the most significant X-Men share a card with someone else is just unfair.

Without a proper, dedicated Wolverine card, this set is a no-buy for me...

😋
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.