Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Simmons
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I felt I just had to share this session with other fans of this amazing game. I'm not going to detail every move. Questions and comments are welcome!

We hadn't played WotR in awhile, so we broke it out Sunday afternoon and went at it. Little did we know how chaotic and "odd" this session would be.

I played the Shadow, my son the Free Peoples.

The Hunt for the Ring got off to a great start for the Shadow, with the Ringbearer taking large corruption hits very early on. This, combined with further threats to the fellowship by some nasty shadow cards (like "Cruel Weather" and "The Gates Are Closed"), caused the Free Peoples to quickly forget about the ring and rally to war against the Shadow.

(Now, my son has pushed for FP military victory a few times in the past, being successful only once. So, I was like, "ok, son....going to try this again? So be it! The Witch King appears in Osgiliath.")

The Witch King soon led a second assault on Minas Tirith (the first was rebuffed by some stupid amazing combat rolls by the FP player.) The Black Captain's second assault was also routed at the last minute by the arrival of a Rohirrim army from the north. Path of the Woses....aaaaahhgg! An army of Rohirrim lead by Aragorn and Gandalf the White suddenly appears in Osgiliath! This effectively split my shadow armies in two.

The Witch King was defeated in the pincer maneuver and the ensuing push of Aragorn's army INTO Morder, as far as Barad Dur and the Crack of Doom itself, was a sight to behold.

I imagine that Tolkien was spinning in his grave at this point.

(Aragorn and Gandalf leading a huge army INTO Mordor while Frodo and the ring remain in Rivendell? Weird and wild stuff.)

It was a valiant effort by the Free Peoples. For much of the game the FP player was only one or two VP from a military victory.

Gothmog, Lieutenant of Morgul and the Mouth of Sauron soon appeared in Mordor, cornering Gandalf and Aragorn's army in Barad Dur. With some tactical maneuvering the army of men was trapped.

The Southrons took Minas Tirith and Dol Amroth. Isengard finally took Helm's Deep (I was hampered by spending actions defending Mordor).

Then the Balrog appeared in Moria. The demon of fire and shadow gathered his armies from Moria and Gundabad, laying siege to Rivendell and Lorien, thus sealing the fate of the Free Peoples.

This game never ceases to amaze me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark schultz
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
awesome! I've played many,many times and its a different story every time! love this game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.