Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Originally posted here:
http://storyboardwebseries.tumblr.com/post/162254863577/bare...

facebook: https://www.facebook.com/StoryBoardGames/
twitter: https://twitter.com/StoryBoardWebtv

Synopsis: You are custodians of a fledgling bear park and you seek to expand your park to bring joy and happiness to visitors from around the world. You will grow your park to make it beautiful and the exemplar of your rivals while making the best use of your square meterage.

You win by having the most wonderful bear park in the world, as measured in points. As you extend your park, the bear enclosures that you build earn you points. You will also build majestic bear statues as you complete park sectors, which earn more points the earlier they are built.

The bear enclosures and other aspects of the park comprise polyomino shapes, which you will attempt to use to complete park sections. You start with your ark entrance, and will progressively expand your park by sectors until you can expand no more. As you lay the tiles over the parkland, you gain access to new tiles for your next turn.

On your turn, you will take one of the tiles in your reserve pool and fit it onto your park. As you do, you will cover up icons on the mat. These indicate whether you can take the small park tiles, the larger enclosure tiles, or the extra large feature tiles, or even an expansion tile. While you will only place one tile, you can receive multiples based on what you cover up. Additionally, when you complete a mat, you take the next available bear statue.

Commentary: Barenpark represents the next in several polyomino games instigated by Patchwork. This game shares the wonderful puzzle-like nature of Patchwork, while adding several interesting features of its own.

The economy on this game is built into the placement and layout, giving a second layer to the puzzle. Not only are you racing to complete sections of your mat as smoothly as possible, but you are also attempting to optimise by determining which icons to cover up for the types of pieces you need. This lends itself a little bit to over-analysis, but never to the point of paralysis.

There is also something remarkably joyful about creating a park for bears. Animals parks are conceptually appealing, which is complimented by the aesthetic experience of fitting your tiles together. The artwork is true to the design style of Mayfair, being softer than the highly rendered graphics emerging from the American markets, but the softer palate suits the feel of the game: a warm, fuzzy, if you will.

I have also seen the insert for this game described as ‘the greatest troll by Mayfair’ (@Maggibot), and I have to concur. I had an engineer with me when we were assembling the ‘insert’ which consists of three cardboard bits that divide the box. We needed to refer to a picture of one already assembled to solve. Even then, it doesn’t really function well as an insert, and I’m tempted to do away with it all together.

Barenpark is the work of Sushi Go! and Imhotep designer, Phil Walker-Harding. Who, as a Sydney-based designer, has confided with me that he is somewhat dismayed over the inclusions of koalas as a type of bear in this game. This turns out to have been a particular penchant from the German publishers, where the word ‘koala’ idiomatically implies bear. The game does address this by suggesting it’s done to increase sales, but I cannot help but remain dismayed.

Verdict: Two bear paws up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Germany
München
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Morningstar_81 wrote:
...Phil Walker-Harding. Who, as a Sydney-based designer, has confided with me that he is somewhat dismayed over the inclusions of koalas as a type of bear in this game. This turns out to have been a particular penchant from the German publishers, where the word ‘koala’ idiomatically implies bear. The game does address this by suggesting it’s done to increase sales, but I cannot help but remain dismayed...

Actually most people in Germany colloquially are talking of the "Koala-Bär", which means Koala-Bear...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Agner Holm
Denmark
Aarhus C
Danmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
leberegel wrote:
Morningstar_81 wrote:
...Phil Walker-Harding. Who, as a Sydney-based designer, has confided with me that he is somewhat dismayed over the inclusions of koalas as a type of bear in this game. This turns out to have been a particular penchant from the German publishers, where the word ‘koala’ idiomatically implies bear. The game does address this by suggesting it’s done to increase sales, but I cannot help but remain dismayed...

Actually most people in Germany colloquially are talking of the "Koala-Bär", which means Koala-Bear...

There is actually a great Australian children´s song about this very topic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRHgR4rPRgI

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Germany
München
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I guess most Koala bears dont care.. ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon "that sci-fi guy"
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
leberegel wrote:
I guess most Koala bears dont care.. ;-)

(Fixed that for you).

And yet for some reason, us human Australians do care.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Germany
München
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If the Koala bear is included in a game called Bärenpark, it has to be a bear. Otherwise it would not be inlcluded in this game... ;-)

Maybe you could ask for an Australian version of the game, which is then called "Beuteltierpark" (Marsupial-park)...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.