1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Is it right to take advantage of a glitch in a sales price? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cannon Wolf
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since this subject seems to have hijacked a Hot Deals thread in regards to Amazon Prime Day Deals, I thought I'd encourage moving the subject over here in the general forum.
So what are your thoughts? A company marks down an item, but due to a glitch, the price is much lower, possibly free. Do you buy it?

Prime Day Hot Deal

Edit: added link
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
uhh

Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris M
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm down. As long as they're fine with giving it out at that price and shipping then I'm fine paying that price if it's something I'm interested in personally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goeshi
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If your FLGS misplaced the decimal then yes, but this is Amazon, anything goes!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I enjoy designing / manufacturing game components and upgrades. Got a project? PM!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're not responsible for pricing their items for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Brian
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aesthetocyst wrote:
You're not responsible for pricing their items for them.

but that's the thing, no one is pricing these items this way. This computer running the website is erroring out. It's like your phone freezing on a massive scale. Imagine if while your phone was freezing you accidentally ordered 30 copies of your favorite board game instead of 1, and the website said well we aren't responsible for your phone freezing up on our site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
Ireland
Derry
flag msg tools
badge
EZ FLASH 3 FTW
mbmbmbmbmb
Go ahead and order, but don't be surprised if the order gets cancelled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas M
msg tools
mbmb
It happens all the time because the websites use too fancy algorithms for price setting. They deserve to get punished for not testing properly. All this cookie-exploiting "special deals" is poison for internet trade and not in the consumer's interest.
So hell-yea! buy if it glitches.

Have not seen it happen much on board games, but it happens all the time here with TVs and computers. Quite interesting to see how the shops handle the situation. Consumer laws here state that the shop can backpedal if the buyer shopped with bad intentions. But even though they are allowed to cancel the purchase, many of them actually end up going through with it because it was their mistake. The publicity and marketing value of the story is worth more than the unintended discount in most cases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How do I know if it was a "glitch" or mistake in pricing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Pingle
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How do you know it was even a mistake? People saying it was a glitch and chastising others do not know for certain it was not intentional. It lasted, curiously, about 45 minutes exactly. Someone in the other thread said they chatted with an Amazon rep and they said it was legitimate.

How is the customer supposed to know it really wasn't a prime day promotion? They were hyping up big deals and special offers and ... we got them. Something may "feel" too good to be true, which is usually a good indicator it is too good to be true. But unlike an FLGS, we can't easily ask a cashier to make sure it's correct.

And at least so far, orders are shipping. My X-Wing TFA Core Set shipped and still shows $0.00 on the invoice.

So unless Amazon comes out and says it was a glitch, then there isn't any moral high ground here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
timpkmn89
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
sane_wonko wrote:
How do you know it was even a mistake? People saying it was a glitch and chastising others do not know for certain it was not intentional. It lasted, curiously, about 45 minutes exactly. Someone in the other thread said they chatted with an Amazon rep and they said it was legitimate.

How is the customer supposed to know it really wasn't a prime day promotion? They were hyping up big deals and special offers and ... we got them. Something may "feel" too good to be true, which is usually a good indicator it is too good to be true. But unlike an FLGS, we can't easily ask a cashier to make sure it's correct.

And at least so far, orders are shipping. My X-Wing TFA Core Set shipped and still shows $0.00 on the invoice.

So unless Amazon comes out and says it was a glitch, then there isn't any moral high ground here.

Because the page said 20% off. And it's not the first time Amazon reps aren't fully aware of what's going on, especially for something that just started an hour ago alongside their biggest event of the year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Pingle
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The page said an "additional" 20% off. There were also other deals active.

Assuming it was or wasn't a glitch is equally wrong, until Amazon says otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick DeGeest
United States
Fort Pierce
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Amazon shouldn't be surprised when customers attempt to purchase things at extremely low prices; however, customers also shouldn't be surprised when Amazon cancels those orders if there was, indeed, a pricing glitch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Pingle
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pdegeest wrote:
Amazon shouldn't be surprised when customers attempt to purchase things at extremely low prices; however, customers also shouldn't be surprised when Amazon cancels those orders if there was, indeed, a pricing glitch.

Exactly. If it was a glitch, Amazon is well within their rights to cancel the orders without question, and I'd fully expect them to in that case. If they decide to let the orders go through, that's also their decision to make.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes items are priced crazy cheap to sell fast and for the sale to look like a huge success. I'd cash in on that, why should I take the time to ask if its ok, especially when in that time I might miss out?
With the same attitude if they come out and say there was a glitch and they cancel all orders I hope they try to give us a chance to buy the items at whatever discount they meant to actually use. A glitch like this could wipe out any size business so I think its fine if they say "sorry, we cant honor all of this".
The time to hold companies to their price is when there is the intent of bait and switch tactics/attitudes, this is different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just mad the UK amazon's most exciting board game is Pass the Pigs
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread reminds me of a situation I encountered during my Magic: The Gathering days in regards to trading with other players: I was at a pre-release (Invasion or Planeshift or Apocalypse) and as always I brought my trade binder chalk full of rares that I would never use. I was looking for 4 copies of that flying hippo from the set (can't remember the name now) and found a guy who had four to trade away. He looked through my binder and selected a Wrath of God & two other rares that I didn't need. He then got out his magazine with the prices and asked if I wanted anything else from his collection, I said nope. He started to look at the rares he selected from my binder and separated them in two piles then asked me one more time if I wanted anything else in his binder. Again, I said no. He then said he really wanted the three cards he selected and I said okay, it's a trade, these four flying hippos for my three rares.

He started to say he didn't want to rip me off, I told him it's okay, I REALLY wanted those hippos, he kinda shook his head and said okay. I totally got the feeling he either thought I was stupid or that he was ripping me off.

It was neither. I got what I wanted, he got three cards he wanted, end of deal. Nobody was ripped off. It happens like that sometimes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony C
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You were hungry hungry for those hippos!

Anyway, yes - I will buy one copy of something that looks crazy cheap. There have been legit crazy cheap deals in the past, and if a couple computer algorithms get in a fight, I can't help that.

I didn't catch any great board game deals yesterday (although last week was Prices Go Up Day in my Amazon cart, I had one day where half the stuff in my 'saved' card went up noticeably and painfully (10$ to 15$, 13$ to 23$).
I did order a giant "wood block stacking game" (no-name Jenga) that was 5 bucks net from original price of 89.99, but it remains to be seen if it will ship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's right for me to do it.

Pete (isn't sure it's right for you to do it)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Allen

New Jersey
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I mean, people go thrifting and find games for much cheaper than they are worth. There's even a thread for thrifting and its not full of people asking "how'd you get that game for $2? You should be ashamed. Go back and give them $20"

Meanwhile, if a website pricing algorithm clearly screwed up and you're benefiting, don't be surprised if your order gets cancelled, and don't be angry at the website if it does. If amazon cancels and gives everyone who ordered a $5 dollar credit, be ecstatic and sing amazon's praises.

Full disclosure: I got Star Wars Rebellion, Terraforming Mars and Above and Below for 60 combined.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas M
msg tools
mbmb
killerjoe1962 wrote:
This thread reminds me of a situation I encountered during my Magic: The Gathering days in regards to trading with other players: I was at a pre-release (Invasion or Planeshift or Apocalypse) and as always I brought my trade binder chalk full of rares that I would never use. I was looking for 4 copies of that flying hippo from the set (can't remember the name now) and found a guy who had four to trade away. He looked through my binder and selected a Wrath of God & two other rares that I didn't need. He then got out his magazine with the prices and asked if I wanted anything else from his collection, I said nope. He started to look at the rares he selected from my binder and separated them in two piles then asked me one more time if I wanted anything else in his binder. Again, I said no. He then said he really wanted the three cards he selected and I said okay, it's a trade, these four flying hippos for my three rares.

He started to say he didn't want to rip me off, I told him it's okay, I REALLY wanted those hippos, he kinda shook his head and said okay. I totally got the feeling he either thought I was stupid or that he was ripping me off.

It was neither. I got what I wanted, he got three cards he wanted, end of deal. Nobody was ripped off. It happens like that sometimes.

Totally had this happen to me several times too.

It happens when people forget that time is a resource as well. Especially in trading cards you quickly end up in a situation where you have amassed a lot of cards. Including plenty of those that you already have a playset of. What you are then missing is the new cards, and trading something that has little value to you for something you need, as a fast deal even, becomes a very interesting case of how people will value the same things equally. I have a lot of revised cards, and I mean really a lot. Some are now attractive because they offer novelty value or alternate art for popular current-time decks. Since most of my revised cards are mint condition I brought some of them down to see if I could score some store credit for fun, and walked away with a big bag of board games. Cards that I had only touched to move the box a few times in the past 20 years, which basically had no value to me (not even as a collector as it was all cards I had 5+ of still in my collection).

Sort of how you can sell umbrellas at a premium when it is raining and there are no umbrella stores around. Yet, neither of those examples are relevant for the original topic. As making a deal that is bad for you is hardly equivalent to exploiting online prices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DB
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aziras wrote:
It happens all the time because the websites use too fancy algorithms for price setting. They deserve to get punished for not testing properly. All this cookie-exploiting "special deals" is poison for internet trade and not in the consumer's interest.
So hell-yea! buy if it glitches.

This. It wasn't an inadvertent error by a well-meaning person who made a poor decision, but an artifact of the fact that Amazon has outsourced so much of its decision-making to software. At least this was just a pricing error in folks' favor, not the constant stream of counterfeit and knockoff products they've been unable to deal with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
It's the difference between the people that run the world, and the people that don't. Rich folks use backchannel business & government connections every day to "game the system" in any/every way possible to enrich themselves. Accountants, lawyers, bought-off politicians are all on the payroll to find every filthy loophole hiding in every last dark crevice to maximize every last drop of profit. They don't post questions on BGG about the morality of doing it, they just do it.

Meanwhile down here in the huddled masses, folks engage in self-flagellation over getting a boardgame for $10 instead of $30.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Who Am I?
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
bradelli wrote:
Go ahead and order, but don't be surprised if the order gets cancelled.

This is always my approach.

I have no qualms with trying to buy an item that has been priced incorrectly - but I never feel bad if the incorrect price isn't honored, especially in cases where it's immediately obvious that an error had been made.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Those trying to say it wasn't a glitch are living in denial. Some games that were tagged to be on sale were $0. Others that were not scheduled to be on sale were 65% off. Amazon has never given away games for free, and definitely not at the same time as all other games going for 65% off. Not a glitch? Have some self-respect and don't kid yourself.

Whether it's right or wrong to take advantage of it is up for debate, but let's use some common sense and call it what it is--a glitch that Amazon is apparently honoring (in most cases?) because they can afford to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.