Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dylan Grozdanich

Santa Clara
CA California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all!

So, I've been working on a How to video (somewhat for myself, so I can understand the rules, but also for others to use)

There are a few rules I'm a little confused on still. Largely engage...I'm not sure how to describe it's usage....

Also, I may have gotten some rules wrong. Totally happy to do a few reshoots and reedit pieces of the video.

I hope someone out there that understands the rules a little better then me can watch, point out mistakes (if any), help with my one known error, and also point out any rules I missed, or should actually be included.

Thank you for any help you can provide!

*edit* Can't seem to embed it, so it's just a link for this draft.

https://youtu.be/FIR79lYcmd4
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Martin
United States
East Lyme
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Never enough of these to go around...
badge
Never cut a deal with this guy...
mbmbmbmbmb
For some reason, I can't watch the video. It keeps saying: An error has occurred. Please try back later?

It's still cool though that you're making a how to video!

Once you get the video up and running I'll be more than happy to watch it and give you feedback!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
industrialchild wrote:
For some reason, I can't watch the video. It keeps saying: An error has occurred. Please try back later?

For me as well :`(.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Grozdanich

Santa Clara
CA California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
industrialchild wrote:

It's still cool though that you're making a how to video!

Once you get the video up and running I'll be more than happy to watch it and give you feedback!

Hmmmm weird... apparently I can't embed it since I uploaded it as unlisted, should have worked. I just changed it to a link for now. Looks to be working now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
samuraislyr wrote:
Hmmmm weird... apparently I can't embed it since I uploaded it as unlisted, should have worked. I just changed it to a link for now. Looks to be working now!

Yup! But when a +1 it, i get a warning:

"This video is unlisted. Be considerate and think twice before sharing."

i assume that that's intended.

Your video points out that i've been misinterpreting when to activate each sector of the clock :/. Details are in the youtube comments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Martin
United States
East Lyme
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright, I just watched the video and I should mention to you that Heroes always have to spend enough AP as to get into the same sector as an enemy on the Horologium.

You can not get activated multiple times before an enemy.

To Pick Up an object you have to be in the same square as the object

Heroes have a base Jump skill of 2(meaning without any skills or equipment they have the ability to Jump two squares). Jump works the same as movement (1AP per square you were right about that) However after you said that, you moved 2 squares. That would be 2 AP in your example.

As Stephan pointed out in the comment section of the YouTube video, if you're going to cover disengaging in the video, go over the fact that if you are engaged by 2 enemies, the Disengage test becomes +5, 3 Enemies +6, 4 Enemies +7 and also have something that lets you move diagonally.

Line of Sight is a little trickier than your explanation makes it out to be.

LOS is determined by one full side of the attacker to one full side of the target. From what I interpreted in your video you are just tracing one line from the center of one side to the other.

However, when you consider that it is one full side to another, a more accurate way to determine this would be tracing from the two corners of one full side to the two corners of the other side and observing everything in between to really make sure you have Line of Sight. Hope that made sense. If you look on Page 15 under "Valid Targets" you can see a visual example of this.

Also, as far as LOS goes, I would go over how non-friendly miniatures are also obstructions.

As Stephan pointed out you can only get a Critical on a Physical Attack.

That's my only commentary so far, but it's looking great! Thank you for taking the time to do this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
industrialchild wrote:
Alright, I just watched the video and I should mention to you that Heroes always have to spend enough AP as to get into the same sector as an enemy on the Horologium.

There's actually an exception to that. On page 11 (v3.6):

Quote:
Heroes are not obliged to use all the AP provided by
the Ra characteristic, however unused AP will be lost
when activation is ended. In any case, a hero must
spend their AP until the first sector occupied by an
enemy has been reached, or until their available AP
have all been used.

Note the "or until" at the end. It is hypothetically possible to activate before an enemy, but only if that enemy has somehow moved a huge number of sectors along the track or if the character has somehow lost enough APs due to a special effect. Because of the "or until" clause, a character with only 2 AP can indeed act twice before an enemy with 5AP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Martin
United States
East Lyme
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good catch Stephan!

I just noticed in the video that it seems like from 2:20-2:35 he was explaining something that is illegal. That's why I'm mentioned this.

You are correct though Stephan! We can't forget also that no Character can spend more AP than they have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
industrialchild wrote:
Good catch Stephan!

I just noticed in the video that it seems like from 2:20-2:35 he was explaining something that is illegal. That's why I'm mentioning this.

You are correct though Stephan!

To be clear, though - i'm not aware of any case in the core set which would allow that to happen. i'm thinking more hypothetically, maybe in future game effects or custom scenarios. (Speaking of: we haven't yet seen any custom scenarios posted in the forums. i'd like to eventually do at least one, once i've finally taken the time to get more practical experience with the system. Instead i've been painting my Conan minis :/.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
To be clear, though - i'm not aware of any case in the core set which would allow that to happen. i'm thinking more hypothetically, maybe in future game effects or custom scenarios.

e.g. a different way to implement a Stun effect would be to advance the unit's activation token some number of steps when the effect is applied. The potential problem with that, though, is that its token might "lap" the clock, and players would need to keep track of that somehow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Martin
United States
East Lyme
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, Wait is also an action a hero can do.

If you did not understand the rule of having to spend AP to move into the same sector as an enemy or spending all available AP, a Hero could theoretically cleverly manipulate the Wait action to get more than 1 activation before the enemies get theirs.

When you play with the "Reaction" rule you can really see why this is a rule in the game and how easily the game could be manipulated if it wasn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Martin
United States
East Lyme
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
Speaking of: we haven't yet seen any custom scenarios posted in the forums. i'd like to eventually do at least one, once i've finally taken the time to get more practical experience with the system. Instead i've been painting my Conan minis :/.)

It's funny that you mention this. Just yesterday I was watching that old how to play video that's on BGG video section of this forum.

If you haven't seen it yet, I'd recommend giving it a view. https://www.boardgamegeek.com/video/65537/nova-aetas-dark-re...

It's crazy how much the game has changed in the last two and a half years!

Besides that though, that mission that's being demonstrated in the video looks great! The premise is interesting and it only uses two Heroes!

I'd like to play a quick one shot mission like that, maybe slightly expand it to add a little extra meat to it.

Looks like a lot of fun though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Bernardini
Italy
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
samuraislyr wrote:
Hello all!

So, I've been working on a How to video (somewhat for myself, so I can understand the rules, but also for others to use)

There are a few rules I'm a little confused on still. Largely engage...I'm not sure how to describe it's usage....

Also, I may have gotten some rules wrong. Totally happy to do a few reshoots and reedit pieces of the video.

I hope someone out there that understands the rules a little better then me can watch, point out mistakes (if any), help with my one known error, and also point out any rules I missed, or should actually be included.

Tx for your passion Dylan! A very good job and very useful for the newcomers

TXTXTXTXTXT

Luca LMS

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Grozdanich

Santa Clara
CA California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
industrialchild wrote:

To Pick Up an object you have to be in the same square as the object

Heroes have a base Jump skill of 2(meaning without any skills or equipment they have the ability to Jump two squares). Jump works the same as movement (1AP per square you were right about that) However after you said that, you moved 2 squares. That would be 2 AP in your example.

As Stephan pointed out in the comment section of the YouTube video, if you're going to cover disengaging in the video, go over the fact that if you are engaged by 2 enemies, the Disengage test becomes +5, 3 Enemies +6, 4 Enemies +7 and also have something that lets you move diagonally.

Line of Sight is a little trickier than your explanation makes it out to be.

LOS is determined by one full side of the attacker to one full side of the target. From what I interpreted in your video you are just tracing one line from the center of one side to the other.

However, when you consider that it is one full side to another, a more accurate way to determine this would be tracing from the two corners of one full side to the two corners of the other side and observing everything in between to really make sure you have Line of Sight. Hope that made sense. If you look on Page 15 under "Valid Targets" you can see a visual example of this.

Also, as far as LOS goes, I would go over how non-friendly miniatures are also obstructions.

As Stephan pointed out you can only get a Critical on a Physical Attack.

That's my only commentary so far, but it's looking great! Thank you for taking the time to do this!

Whoa! Thank you. I completely missed that line about having to hit an enemies sector! And the disengage, never even saw that!

Okay, well least I know where I need to tune up some of the video.

Thanks for the feedback!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Martin
United States
East Lyme
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dylan, as far as the expanded rules for Disengage though. The only way you'd know this, is if you dug through the "Rulebook FAQ by Authors" thread.

It's simply not in the book.

I didn't really express my gratitude to you last night properly either. I really admire the task you're undertaking.

So far the video looks fantastic, very nicely edited!

Once you have a good understanding of the rules, the video will be comprehensive and stellar!

I admire your work so far. I also love the fact that you are taking your time with it to do it the justice it deserves. I'll be more than happy to track the progress of this video and offer similar feedback in the future to help you make the video that you desire to make!

That was a great time I had conversing with Stephan while we helped you in the process!

This community should be able to help make this video very informative! Thank you for your willingness to receive feedback from us!

That 12 minutes and 47 seconds that I saw last night is a wonderful start to something that will be marvelous!

I thoroughly enjoyed watching it! Thank you for taking the time to make it.

I might even watch it again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Martin
United States
East Lyme
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
samuraislyr wrote:
Hello all!

Dylan...https://shop.ludusmagnusstudio.com/blogs/news/first-post

Download and read Rulebook V4.0 It's quite the revelation! Also, I am incorrect about one thing I told you.

The "Pick Up" action has been clarified in here and you CAN "Pick Up" an object in the same square OR in an adjacent square as well!

I'm going to PM you as well. Hopefully you haven't taken out that part of the video yet in your current progress. I hope that this isn't going to be too much of an inconvenience for you and I'm sorry for the mis-information!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Grozdanich

Santa Clara
CA California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
industrialchild wrote:
samuraislyr wrote:
Hello all!

Dylan...https://shop.ludusmagnusstudio.com/blogs/news/first-post

Download and read Rulebook V4.0 It's quite the revelation! Also, I am incorrect about one thing I told you.

The "Pick Up" action has been clarified in here and you CAN "Pick Up" an object in the same square OR in an adjacent square as well!

I'm going to PM you as well. Hopefully you haven't taken out that part of the video yet in your current progress. I hope that this isn't going to be too much of an inconvenience for you and I'm sorry for the mis-information!

No worries! Might be till the weekend till I can get around to fixing it all before draft 2. I got picked for glorious jury duty this week, so my schedule is a bit of a mess for right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
industrialchild wrote:
I didn't really express my gratitude to you last night properly either. I really admire the task you're undertaking.

My apologies as well - i failed to add a "thank you" anywhere in my several comments on the youtube thread (unless you count the "thumbs up" on the video, which of course i did ).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.