Popular Tags: [View All]
Ralph Tricoche
United States
Bronx
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Folks, without causing a rokus which of these games is better? I keep reading that Eldrich is better because it fixed what Arkham did wrong. Is this correct or hyperbole?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Santos
Portugal
Amadora
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BIgLatinDude wrote:
Folks, without causing a rokus which of these games is better? I keep reading that Eldrich is better because it fixed what Arkham did wrong. Is this correct or hyperbole?

I have both games, i like Eldritch Horror, i love Arkham Horror.
People complain about Arkham taking too long, Eldrich takes too long and so on....

It's a matter of taste, if one played Arkham before Eldritch it would prefere Arkham, the experience is diferent, you feel more attached to your investigator.

If one played Eldritch and then played Arkham it would prefere Eldritch, this one would feel more of a "modern" game than Arkham.

Once again i do have both, i like them both.
I have all expansions from Arkham Horror.
So far i have Eldritch Horro plus Forsaken Lore, Moutains of Madness is on it's way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This poll may help answer your question with a wider range of opinions than you're likely to get directly to this thread. If you want more opinions, you'll find mutliple other threads through both this and the Arkham Horror forum by searching for relevant terms.

Overall summary though: lots of people will argue either way, but Eldritch Horror is generally the better scored (albeit by a fairly small margin).

If you're looking to buy one, the ideal is to play each first and choose the one you like more, but failing that - dig through the old comments and see if you can find things that ring true for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judgement Dave
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's hard to answer your OP without causing some sort of discussion (or even ruckus) over which is better.

Eldritch Horror fixed some things that some people considered wrong. Improved some things that some people didn't think were really wrong. Made some things worse in some people's opinion.

Which is best for you is hard to say, but:

- Some feel Arkham gives a better experience as an investigation in a single town/locality feels better for them than globetrotting in Eldritch.

- The flavour is baked in to individual great old ones better in Eldritch, as each has it's own set of mystery/story cards (alongside common ones). Arkham doesn't do this.

I think that they general consensus is that EH streamlined things a little, but, tbh, that may be more noticeable when learning the game. Once you have it in your head you'll be fine with either.

EH is also a little friendlier in using expansions. In AH you could end up diluting the themes as you added more cards to decks, but EH avoids this.

In many ways, it often seems that people prefer the one they tried first and, past that, the scope (local v global) can have a big play in feel.

BTW If you go with Arkham, get the Dunwich Horror expansion for the injury/madness cards (which, I think is generally accepted, should have been in the base)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Facsantos wrote:

It's a matter of taste, if one played Arkham before Eldritch it would prefere Arkham, the experience is diferent, you feel more attached to your investigator.

If one played Eldritch and then played Arkham it would prefere Eldritch, this one would feel more of a "modern" game than Arkham.

My experience is different. I got Arkham Horror and enjoyed it long before Eldritch Horror existed, but I felt that the upkeep in between turns was tedious and I ended up not playing it more than a few times. Later I discovered Eldritch Horror and it offered a similar experience as Arkham Horror, but without the tedium and slightly shorter. I definitely prefer Eldritch Horror.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
JudgementDave wrote:
the scope (local v global) can have a big play in feel.

This, probably. Basically a question of "Do you prefer Buffy (all sorts of messed up stuff happens in this one place because reasons) or Indiana Jones (lets seek out weird occult crap all over ze world)"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
http://australianmuseum.net.au/Drop-Bear
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both, I like both.

AH allows more character development and, to me, feels grittier.

Eldritch fels more of an overview (to me).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FRANCOIS BONNET
France
flag msg tools
i have both

i used to play AH i enjoyed it, but so painful to teach at my guests.

and even knowing the game we have some problems with rules ...

We play EH for 3 years and i will never come back

rules are clear and i can explain them to my friends in 5 mns

extensions are playable and AO are ..... excellent and the game is challenging !

rythmn and epic trip around the world !

i definitely prefer EH !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hall
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
I'll throw in my two pence.

A bit of background, one of my best friends has Arkham with all expansions which we have played alot, my love of that game caused me to purchase Eldritch and all of its expansion which we play alot.

Arkham has a more personal feel, is grittier and more focused on your character but the overall narrative is more diluted especially with all the expansions.
The mechanics are slower and there are more dice rolls in many situations, this does lend to a more challenging encounter system in many cases and certainly I'd say it is more deadly which is nicely on theme.
Lastly a point on the Arkham expansions, they all add alot to the game but each focuses in a different area and add lots of new mechanics to the game which don't always mesh well with the others, covering the extra ground the expansions add can also be an issue with a smaller player group.

Eldritch streamlines alot of the Arkham mechanics, especially combat and purchasing equipment, it also keeps the story of the ancient one your fighting to the front by having dedicated missions for each one.
In doing this it does lose some of the character and experience of Arkham.
With the expansions eldrich comes into its own as they all seemlessly integrate with each other and add variety instead of larger gameplay.

My verdict: Whilst Arkham is a slightly more involving experience the mechanics of Eldrich make it just a better actual game to play and whilst both take time eldritch takes significantly less.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both and I owned Arkham first, have played both games around 50 times and rate AH @10 and EH @8. I was in at the ground floor with Eldritch, but I haven't bought any new content since Strange Remnants and I haven't played it since before Dreamlands came out and I don't expect to offer it for a session again (so I should probably drop the rating to 7).

Quite simply, as a casual player of the Arkham Family, I disliked the negative aspects of EH, such as: the Kill Zone (don't let your Sta/San goes below 4); the randomness; Impairments, and the way that some Mysteries seem to just drag on interminably. Of course, if I played more frequently, I might get past some of that, but quite frankly I don't have the incentive to do so because I much prefer to play Arkham Horror.

As to game length, a much quoted differentiator: I think that it's too highly dependent on variables. My longest games have been of Eldritch, by some margin. I have also abandoned far more games of EH (on a "let's cut our losses" basis) than I have of AH. I have had some short games of both - usually through catastrophic losses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The discussion of:

Arkham Horror vs. Eldritch Horror: which one is better is really a moot point because they are NOT the same game, Eldritch is entirely a different game.

Arkham Horror or Eldritch Horror: Which game do you prefer? Now that's a good question. For me, I like Eldritch Horror. I like Arkham Horror but not nearly as much as I like Eldritch.

The first question assumes that FFG game designers purposefully made Eldritch Horror to replace Arkham Horror claiming to "improve" Arkham Horror. I have never read that anywhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Tricoche
United States
Bronx
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all, youve given me much information. I need to chew on this. Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldritch. If you want to play with all of the expansions in Eldritch, you can, as there is only one extra board max. If you want to play with all of the expansions in Arkham, you can...if you extend your house.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Santos
Portugal
Amadora
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
Eldritch. If you want to play with all of the expansions in Eldritch, you can, as there is only one extra board max. If you want to play with all of the expansions in Arkham, you can...if you extend your house.

No need to extend a house, one just needs a great table, mine is
And using a app also solves the space problema, really!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driss
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not a matter of taste. Eldritch Horror is better in every way. It has more elegant rules, better art, and is more fun. AH is old and looks cheap when you compare the components. The expansions in EH enhance the game rather than smother it. People pretending to prefer AH have nostalgia glasses on or are trying to justify their purchase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Keen
Canada
flag msg tools
senorcoo wrote:

Well I mean, technically, you might use 2 extra boards for EH with the right combination of GOO and Prologues, but I would personally just redraw rather than do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldritch Horror is much more approachable and even more varied in my mind - your objectives and many of your encounters vary based on the ancient one.

Arkham's Ancient Ones are mostly just an extra rule that often doesn't have a huge impact - the overall goals are usually the same.

I played Arkham first. I love the theme but it is just hard to play (I don't only mean difficult, but also exhausting). Eldritch gives me most of the same feels but it is so much easier to manage. I can get more immersed because I'm not lost going through all the steps in a round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And Eldritch is also a little more coherent to a particular GOO with the research encounters. AH is mostly all disconnected random encounters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Eklund
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sindriss wrote:
It's not a matter of taste. Eldritch Horror is better in every way. It has more elegant rules, better art, and is more fun. AH is old and looks cheap when you compare the components. The expansions in EH enhance the game rather than smother it. People pretending to prefer AH have nostalgia glasses on or are trying to justify their purchase.

I agree and I would add that this also applies to Arkham Horror The Card Game vs. LOTR LCG..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Tricoche
United States
Bronx
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Which app is for Eldrich Horror?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judgement Dave
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
BIgLatinDude wrote:
Which app is for Eldrich Horror?

The previous app comment was in relation to Arkham Horror - I don't think that there is one (at least on the UK iOS store) for EH.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own Arkham Horror with every expansion.

The first time I played Eldritch Horror, I knew my copy of Arkham would never again hit the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chicklewis wrote:
I own Arkham Horror with every expansion.

The first time I played Eldritch Horror, I knew my copy of Arkham would never again hit the table.

Chick, felt exactly the same. And it sits on my shelf like Cthulhu...sleeping...goo

Until sold, that is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love them both a lot. Arkham doesn't get to my table as often (partly because I now have a smaller table), but it truly feels like a limited few taking on a situation that they're in too deep to handle, and that has far-reaching consequences that the world isn't even aware of. Lovecraft was all about the realization that humanity is a microblip in the grand scheme of the cosmos.

It is entirely plausible that a tiny catastrophe in a single town could end the world set into this framework.

It is exactly that eldritch is a globe-trotter that I don't like. The game is fun, I love it, but it doesn't feel as hopeless when you are running around the world getting advise from the Pope and shooting missiles from Tokyo. It's just very Hollywood in scope.

I honestly think both games are different enough that you can have them both in your collection. The theme is the same, but it's just different.

And while Arkham is LONGER, I feel like it is deeper. It all depends on what mood you're in, what kind of gamer you are, and who you're entertaining.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfie
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.