Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
STB
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

METEOROLOGIST
Declares Background Effects

You have the power of Weather. As a main player, after alliances are formed, you may use this power to have one of the following effects apply this encounter:
Aurora: Gains for allies are reversed.
Eclipse: Non-encounter cards can't be played.
Horizon: Ships don't count toward encounter totals.
Nebula: Attack cards don't count toward encounter totals.
Nova: Compensation, ships lost due to a failed deal, and values of revealed attack cards are doubled.

(Main Player Only) (Optional) (Alliance)

Wild: As a main player, before allies are invited, you may declare the presence of dangerous weather. Each player that sends ships into the encounter loses half of them, rounded up, to the warp. (Main Player Only) (Alliance)

Super: You may use your power when you are not a main player. (Not Main Player) (Alliance)

I thought of this alien before essence cards were revealed, but this alien might be better if they were used instead of the list above, and perhaps there would be more effects to choose from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mi Myma
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting, and not bad. It seems a little too powerful as written. Maybe as an essence card power, it could be toned down a bit - like by allowing each essence card (each of the various effects) to be used only once each, until all are used, then they all become available again.

I don't care for the wild. It's basically just a "No allies" except when there are various powers in the game that can take advantage of it, like Healer, Zombie, Masochist, Warpish.

What are some other weather effects?

Meteor Shower: No Reinforcements may be played.
Radiation: All Reinforcements are doubled in value.
All Clear: No changes. Play the encounter normally.
High Albedo: Ship values are doubled for totals.
Spacial Distortion: Main players' ships on adjacent planets add to the totals. (and allies ships too?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Hay
United States
Owensboro
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it! I think the only "patch" it needs is essence cards (so that you only have a limited selection at a time).

It would definitely need a few more effects in that case though. You would want to avoid too many cards that stop things from happening. They're okay to have some (what is Cosmic with the Zaps?), but in general I feel like it's better/more fun game design to add or increase player choices and impact than hamper them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
STB
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestions and feedback. Here's a second version:

METEOROLOGIST
Declares Background Effects

You have the power of Weather. As a main player, after alliances are formed, you may use this power to play a forecast card from your essence card cache.

(Main Player Only) (Optional) (Alliance)

Wild: ? (?) (?)

Super: You may use your power when you are not a main player. (Not Main Player) (Alliance)

Forecasts:
Aurora: Gains for allies are reversed this encounter.
Cosmic Dust: Reinforcements and kickers can't be played this encounter.
Eclipse: Ships don't count toward encounter totals this encounter.
Gravitational Waves: This encounter, the ships of each main player and ally that are in the targeted system but not involved in the encounter count toward that player's side's encounter total.
Gamma Ray Burst: Artifacts and flares can't be played this encounter.
High Albedo: Ships count doubly toward encounter totals this encounter.
Meteor Shower: Attack cards don't count toward encounter totals this encounter.
Nebula: Alien powers that are used this encounter are immediately zapped.
Nova: Compensation, ships lost due to a failed deal, and values of revealed attack cards are all doubled this encounter.

Phil Fleischmann wrote:
I don't care for the wild.

I didn't think it was that great either, but I'm having a hard time thinking of a better one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.