Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Mohnkern
United States
Germantown
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got my Kickstarter copy of Beer Empire in the mail, yay! I'm reading through the rules, and I'm finding them a bit daunting to understand. I find myself flipping forward and back constantly in order to try to piece together how to play.

I saw the one instructional video, and it helped some, but was wondering if anyone else was going to do one, or a playthrough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Uhler
United States
Commerce City
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We will be after GenCon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Mohnkern
United States
Germantown
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eapeas wrote:
We will be after GenCon.

Cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think what confused me is I started reading the rulebook and it seemed to jump into a full setup and then into a component description and then into step by step setup. The ordering in the book was poor.

The video helped and didn't, basically he covered everything if you were on an even number round having the Festival in there. But once I watched the video I re-read the rulebook from page 5 on and man it all clicked into place and it's really not that complex. I was super worried at first, now I'm excited. Hope to get it to the table this weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Glowacz
Poland
Wrocław
Dolnośląskie
flag msg tools
designer
Nintendo
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joker9991 wrote:
I think what confused me is I started reading the rulebook and it seemed to jump into a full setup and then into a component description and then into step by step setup. The ordering in the book was poor.

The video helped and didn't, basically he covered everything if you were on an even number round having the Festival in there. But once I watched the video I re-read the rulebook from page 5 on and man it all clicked into place and it's really not that complex. I was super worried at first, now I'm excited. Hope to get it to the table this weekend.

Nice to hear that you are excited!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Mohnkern
United States
Germantown
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joker9991 wrote:

I've been reviewing the book, and I think you are right, there's a lot of jumping forward and backward. For example on page 4 it says "shuffle all the market tiles Then place them on the market space on the main board."

You have to turn to page 6 to find out where the market spaces are on the main board, and then I have to turn to page 7 to figure out what a Market tile looks like.

I think I'll just keep plugging along trying to figure out how to piece set up together, and then figure out how to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Mohnkern
United States
Germantown
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I am beginning to figure out my frustration, and have uploaded a file to start to make things easier.

Take the following example.

On page 9, under starting the game, it has a section called "The Preparation round," Section B says "Players assign shares to market tiles as described on page 16 "Assigning Shares"

So I flip back to page 5, the component list, and on page 7 I find the market tile. So far so good, but no where on page 5-8 do I see shares.

So I turn to page 16, and in the second column it says "Assigning shares." The word "shares" appears 10 times, not once showing a picture of a share (I assume its a playing piece) or how many I start with.

So I turn back to page 15 and at the bottom of the first column, under phase three, it says "Important: Throughout this section bottle cap tokens used for bidding and assigning on market titles are called share."

Ok, so now I go back to page 8 where I find a picture of a bottle cap.

First question answered, I go back to 4 and 5 under game setup, no mention of giving out bottle caps.

I turn to page 9, and under starting the game, in the third paragraph, I find that I get 2 bottle caps, 3 if I'm the 4th player.

Um, wow, that's kind of a pain. I haven't played the first turn, and I've jumped back and forth through the rules how many times?

The more I read, the more I'm liking this game, but the less I'm liking the rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.