Dann May
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hi! Pleased to meet you.
mbmbmbmbmb
After feedback from players during the Kickstarter campaign, we tweaked a couple of the spells and the game could now use a few groups playing with them and letting us know what they think. It will save us a lot of time to get as many eyes on them as we can at once, so we can keep things moving towards production. Here is the link if you already have a group of 2-4, or reply to this post if you'd like to join us in one of our tests.

https://tabletopia.com/games/archmage

The spells we modified:

- Quicken: reduced from 3 extra movement points to 2. This also very slightly decreases the power of Time Stop. Both of those spells were among the most powerful in the game, and we expect even with that small change are still going to be favorites.

- Imprison: rather than imprisoning followers on a separate prison tile, you now imprison them on towns you control, with a maximum of 3 prisoners per town. This is meant to simplify and make more fun the process of getting followers back, and to make the spell more fun for everyone. There is now no hard limit on the number of followers a single player can have imprisoned, it is the number of towns in each map that creates the limit, that and the fact that the way you get them back encourages players casting the spell to diversify which players they target. It also provides a way to physically counter the spell, that may be inconvenient, but isn't as punishing as losing an entire Journey's End.

- Corrupt: simplified so that players simply target any 1 Fundamental level apprentice. Gives the casting player more flexibility and ways to use the spell tactically, while reducing the potential imbalance of how it effects different opponents.

Another change we made is to grant players an extra starting resource based on turn order:

1st player: no extra resource
2nd player: 1 extra resource of their choice
3rd player: 2 extra resources of their choice (must be different)
4th player: 3 extra resources of their choice (must all be different)

Thanks,
Dann and Tim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Morton
msg tools
Jumpseat wrote:
- Imprison: rather than imprisoning followers on a separate prison tile, you now imprison them on towns you control, with a maximum of 3 prisoners per town. This is meant to simplify and make more fun the process of getting followers back, and to make the spell more fun for everyone. There is now no hard limit on the number of followers a single player can have imprisoned, it is the number of towns in each map that creates the limit, that and the fact that the way you get them back encourages players casting the spell to diversify which players they target. It also provides a way to physically counter the spell, that may be inconvenient, but isn't as punishing as losing an entire Journey's End.

Questions about the details here, since I don't see the text in tabletopia (Imprison currently appears to be replaced with Corrosion?):

Does each cast still take two followers from each opponent (provided you have room in towns)?

The limit of three prisoners per town, is that "three per victim player" (e.g. three of each color), "three per casting player" (e.g. each player owns a separate prison in each town), or "three total across all players and casters"?

"Diversify the players you target"? Does it now target specific players?

How do you get the prisoners back? ("Spend one movement point on the town per prisoner" is what I recall being told, but there's a number of details here that weren't present in that idea. "Control the town" would be another intuitive possibility.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Gipson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
- Quicken: reduced from 3 extra movement points to 2. This also very slightly decreases the power of Time Stop. Both of those spells were among the most powerful in the game, and we expect even with that small change are still going to be favorites.

Reduced from 4 to 2? Or from 4 to 3? Or was it never 4? I thought it was 4?

Quote:

I love this change, along with the automoton one! More board interaction is great! I am guessing the obvious is true with this one, if you capture the town on the board you get your people back? Or is it still passing on your end of turn action? Or is it both?

Quote:
Another change we made is to grant players an extra starting resource based on turn order:

1st player: no extra resource
2nd player: 1 extra resource of their choice
3rd player: 2 extra resources of their choice (must be different)
4th player: 3 extra resources of their choice (must all be different)

I like this too

Quote:
Here is the link if you already have a group of 2-4, or reply to this post if you'd like to join us in one of our tests.

I am still very interested in helping. I like this game, it is just hard to convince my friends to play it. But I will definitely try to jump in any games you have going, especially if they are during the daytime ... 8am to 4pm CST.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dann May
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hi! Pleased to meet you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Imprison should only be replaced with Corrosion in the solo version. It had been Quake, just a retheming there.

Quicken was never 4. Feels like it sometimes.

Just capturing towns does nothing to the prisoners in the town, only spending a movement point, and only if they are your followers. So you could take over a town, and leave prisoners in the dungeon, yours or your opponents! And no more passing on your end of turn action, to free prisoners just travel to the town they are imprisoned in, and spend a movement point (thematically a raid into the town dungeon).

Thanks Paul, I'll shoot you a PM about a potential play with us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Morton
msg tools
Jumpseat wrote:
Imprison should only be replaced with Corrosion in the solo version. It had been Quake, just a retheming there.

I started a four-player hotseat game just now and it's still showing Corrosion for me instead of Imprison. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong...

Quote:
Just capturing towns does nothing to the prisoners in the town, only spending a movement point, and only if they are your followers. So you could take over a town, and leave prisoners in the dungeon, yours or your opponents! And no more passing on your end of turn action, to free prisoners just travel to the town they are imprisoned in, and spend a movement point (thematically a raid into the town dungeon).

Do you have to control the town to spend movement freeing your followers (e.g. if you don't have a follower to drop on the town, or you don't want to spare the movement to kill the existing follower on the town)?

Do freed followers still come back at the start of your next turn, as with the older Imprison, or do you get them back immediately under this version (since freeing them with movement points gives you the opportunity, in the right situation, to make use of them before they can get re-imprisoned)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dann May
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hi! Pleased to meet you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Philip, the blue deck had the wrong card. Fixed now.

You don't have to take over the town to release prisoners, you can just spend a movement point to free your prisoners and move on, if you want.

That's right, they come back immediately, as theoretically you could now use them that same turn, dropping them on locations, or taking a Journey's End action that let's you use them. We think all round it just makes it easier to manage, as well as more fun. So really you just read the card, and that is how it plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Morton
msg tools
Okay, I can see the text now.

Is the max prisoners per town three per player, or three total? From the text I'd say three total, but that's going to make it really difficult to cast the spell at full effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W M
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a backer. I would not mind play testing if you need players. When is a game being hosted? It may depend on the time and day. Evenings EST would be best. This game is ranks high in my future up and coming games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dann May
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hi! Pleased to meet you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Chrondeath wrote:
Okay, I can see the text now.

Is the max prisoners per town three per player, or three total? From the text I'd say three total, but that's going to make it really difficult to cast the spell at full effect.

Three per town. Yeah, the spell is meant to be a nuisance and a drain to players, not an effect that hamstrings players, which is what it could become when players needed to miss a turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Lovrien
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
Has the "additional relics based on player starting order" change been added to the rulebook? We've been playing and the only starting relics have been based on the position of the starting planets.

Is this change in addition to the starting relics from planet position?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Heerema
Canada
Hanover
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. Set starting relic track positions according to planet positions. Then according to your turn order take additional relics of your choosing. Starting planet positions remain unaffected by these additional relics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.