Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Pugh
United States
Fairborn
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I wanted to try making a hero deck that didn't have a character card, just a bunch of lesser targets that work together. The scaling may be too much (although X caps at 5 since the Gremlins are limited), and the fragility may be unfun. Looking forward to comments.

A Nest of Gremlins
As long as at least one Gremlin hero target is in play, the heroes do not lose the game due to being incapacitated.
Power: If you have more cards in hand than targets in play, play a card. Otherwise, draw a card.

Gremlins, Limited (x30)

Ornery - 4 hp (x3)
At the end of your turn, Ornery may deal 1 target X melee damage, where X is half the number of Gremlins in play (round down).
At the start of your turn, you may discard a copy of Ornery in your hand. If you do, Ornery deals 1 target 4 melee damage.
"Each one that joins him just seems to make him madder." -Legacy, Exotic Adventures #3

Smelly - 4 hp (x3)
At the end of your turn, Smelly deals up to X targets 2 toxic damage, where X is half the number of Gremlins in play (round down).
At the start of your turn, you may discard a copy of Smelly in your hand. If you do, Smelly deals any number of targets 1 irreducible toxic damage.
"How is it I can smell him through my suit?" -Absolute Zero, Exotic Adventures #2

Snarky - 4 hp (x3)
At the end of your turn, either draw a card or play a card.
At the start of your turn, you may discard a copy of Snarky. If you do, draw X cards, where X is half the number of Gremlins in play (round down).
"Something about fur and trees. I think it loses a lot in translation." -Parse, Exotic Adventures #2

Bossy - 4 hp (x3)
Bossy counts as 3 Gremlins in play for effects that count Gremlins.
At the start of your turn, you may discard any number of Gremlins from your hand to increase your Gremlin count by the number of discarded Gremlins until the start of your next turn.
"It's not the strongest or smartest they all listen to - it's the loudest." -Tachyon, Exotic Adventures #2

Chunky - 4 hp (x3)
Reduce damage dealt to Chunky by X, where X is half the number of Gremlins in play (round down).
The first time each turn that a Gremlin other than Chunky would take damage, reduce that damage by X.
At the start of your turn, you may discard a copy of Chunky. If you do, a target other than Chunky is immune to damage until the start of your next turn.
"Actually, 'stand behind the big guy' isn't that bad of a strategy." -Bunker, Exotic Adventures #4

Handsy - 4 hp (x3)
At the end of your turn, up to X targets gain 2 hp, where X is half the number of Gremlins in play (round down).
At the start of your turn, you may discard a copy of Handsy. If you do, one target gains X hp.
"Not a bad field medic, but her check-ups are... thorough." -The Wraith, Exotic Adventures #3

Clumsy - 4 hp (x3)
At the end of your turn, destroy an ongoing card, an equipment card, or Clumsy. If you destroy Clumsy, draw a card.
At the start of your turn, you may discard a copy of Clumsy. If you do, destroy any non-target card other than a character card.
"No, I'm not going to show him this module. He broke the last three!" -Absolute Zero, Exotic Adventures #4

Nosy - 4 hp (x3)
At the end of your turn, look at the top X cards of a hero deck, where X is half the number of Gremlins in play (round down), and put those cards back in any order.
At the start of your turn, you may discard a copy of Nosy. If you do, look at the top card of each deck and either discard or replace it.
"They have no regard for their own safety. Reminds me of some people I know..." -Unity, Exotic Adventures #3

Picky - 4 hp (x3)
At the end of your turn, draw X cards then discard X cards, where X is half the number of Gremlins in play (round down).
At the start of your turn, you may discard a copy of Picky. If you do, place any number of cards from your trash on top of your deck in any order.
"The closest translation is 'too much pepper.' Don't they usually eat raw meat?" -Parse, Exotic Adventures #3

Metoo - 4 hp (x3)
At the end of your turn, Metoo copies the end-of-turn ability of one other Gremlin in play.
While in your hand, Metoo counts as a copy of every Gremlin card in play.
"I can't tell if she is the same one as yesterday or not." -Tachyon, Exotic Adventures #1

Ongoing, Limited (x2)

They Just Keep Coming (x2)
The first time a Gremlin is destroyed each turn, reveal the top card of your deck and either draw it or play it.
"I know shock troops when I see them. And apparently they're ALL shock troops." -Bunker, Exotic Adventures #2

Equipment, Limited (x8)

Pointy Things (x2)
At the start of your turn, you may discard an Equipment card. If you do, a Gremlin target deals 4 projectile damage to a target.
Power: Each Gremlin target may deal 1 melee damage to a target.
"I've lexically processed 23 words so far, and 8 of them just mean 'stab.'" -Parse, Exotic Adventures #2

Useful Things (x2)
You may play an additional card during your play phase.
At the start of your turn, you may discard an Equipment card. If you do, draw a card.
"Any tools are the right tools when you're creative enough." -Unity, Exotic Adventures #4

Safe Things (x2)
Reduce damage dealt to Gremlin targets by 1.
At the start of your turn, you may discard an Equipment card. If you do, choose a source of damage. Reduce damage dealt by the source by 2 until the start of your next turn.
"I may not speak their language, but I understand 'you go first' when I see it." -Legacy, Exotic Adventures #1

Yummy Things (x2)
Increase healing to hero targets by 1.
At the start of your turn, you may discard an Equipment card. If you do, a hero target regains 3 hp.
Power: All Gremlin targets regain 0 hp.
"This isn't bad at all. Please don't tell me what's in it." -The Wraith, Exotic Adventures #1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Majoor
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have more cards in hand, you draw a card? So you get even more cards in hand? Shouldn't you get to play a card if you have fewer targets in play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Pugh
United States
Fairborn
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yes, that's a typo. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seamus Butler
Ireland
flag msg tools
mb
Gremlins… more gremlins...

AvalonXQ wrote:
I wanted to try making a hero deck that didn't have a character card, just a bunch of lesser targets that work together. The scaling may be too much (although X caps at 5 since the Gremlins are limited), and the fragility may be unfun. Looking forward to comments.

First off, I love the ides but there are “a few things™”
X caps at 6 not 5 due to Bossy counting as 3 gremlins.
You have no starting Gremlins so they would instantly flip to incap.
There are quite a few Villains that can throw out 4 aoe damage on the starting turn that would murder this deck.
Also they have no incap abilities.

Quote:
A Nest of Gremlins
As long as at least one Gremlin hero target is in play, the heroes do not lose the game due to being incapacitated.
Power: If you have more cards in hand than targets in play, play a card. Otherwise, draw a card.

So this is meant to be a setup card. A few suggestions to get it working. Please feel free to ignore them all.

Setup
Put this card and Mogwai into play.

Gameplay
If there are no Gremlins or Mogwai in play you are incapacitated flip this card.

(flip side incap abilities)

Mogwai (4HP)
Too cute to hurt, Mogwai is immune to damage.
You fed him after midnight.
At the start of your turn reveal cards from the top of your deck until a Gremlin is revealed, put it into play and shuffle the remaining cards back into your deck, then remove Mogwai from the game.

Quote:
Nosy - 4 hp (x3)
At the end of your turn, look at the top X cards of a deck, where X is half the number of Gremlins in play (round down), and put those cards back in any order.
At the start of your turn, you may discard a copy of Nosy. If you do, look at the top card of each deck and either discard or replace it.

It’s nice fluff but that’s a bit of a powerful ability for no cost, basically you get to choose the order of the Villain plays for pretty much the whole game.

Quote:
Metoo - 4 hp (x3)
At the end of your turn, Metoo copies the end-of-turn ability of one other Gremlin in play.
While in your hand, Metoo counts as a copy of every Gremlin card in play.

Aww he’s going to spend so much time being thrown out for other Gremlin’s discard abilities. I approve

Quote:
They Just Keep Coming (x2) Ongoing, Limited
The first time a Gremlin is destroyed each turn, play the top card of your deck.

They just go pop so adorably.

Quote:
Useful things (x2) Equipment
You may play an additional card during your play phase.

Safe things (x2) Equipment
Reduce damage dealt to Gremlin targets by 1.

Yummy things (x2)
Increase healing to hero targets by 1.
Power: All Gremlin targets regain 0 hp.

I kind of think these cards should be Limited as well. The downside is you have a lot of limited cards in the deck already and not much draw ability.
But given there’s two Gremlins that help with card draw I’d say playtest it a bit before adding an ongoing or equipment card that gives you more draw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Pugh
United States
Fairborn
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
You have no starting Gremlins so they would instantly flip to incap.

There is no character card, so they never flip to incap. They have no incap.

Quote:
It’s nice fluff but that’s a bit of a powerful ability for no cost, basically you get to choose the order of the Villain plays for pretty much the whole game.

A fair point... I changed it to a hero deck. Is that okay power-wise?

Quote:
I kind of think these cards should be Limited as well. The downside is you have a lot of limited cards in the deck already and not much draw ability.

I made them limited, but gave them Equipment discard effects.
Now all 40 cards in the deck are limited, but the only potentially dead card is the single Ongoing - and I'm okay with that because it's a powerful effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Ellis
United States
Oklahoma City
OK
flag msg tools
mbmb
Honestly I know that the point of the deck it to have no character card, so to offset that you might doing a setup card with in cap abilities on the back side. That way you can start with 2 or 3 gremlins in play. Also. How cow some of the discard fueled powers are strong. Deck Manipulation, Irreducible aoe damage massive single target hits. What can't the gremlins do?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take Walker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is kind of cute, and I like how much people push the envelope with decks on this forum. I also like how Smurf-like the names are. :V AoE will definitely wreck this 'hero', though. Not too hard to get big shots of 4 at a time, or 2 twice in a turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Pugh
United States
Fairborn
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You're definitely going to want to get Chunky and Safe Things out early.
But since the hero doesn't incap, clearing it out isn't as big of a deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Pugh
United States
Fairborn
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Possibly a little off-topic, but is there a guide somewhere on how to turn customs into cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Ellis
United States
Oklahoma City
OK
flag msg tools
mbmb
Cards as in print them yourself on cardstock, or cards as in put together a artscow or printerstudio order?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take Walker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't actually remember what's in this thread, but I've got it saved in my top bar. :B

There's also a spreadsheet floating around somewhere that will allow you to generate playtest cards after a simple text input. Hopefully someone knows where to find it, sorry. c.c

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Pugh
United States
Fairborn
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Flavor text added.
I'm thinking of making Clumsy's end-of-turn effect mandatory, because otherwise it seems too powerful. Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Malecki
United States
Ruskin
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well crap for the last couple days been working on a Gremlin Villain. It would be interesting to play both in the same game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexa Elvrayen

California
msg tools
AvalonXQ wrote:
Flavor text added.
I'm thinking of making Clumsy's end-of-turn effect mandatory, because otherwise it seems too powerful. Thoughts?

Repeated, consistent environment destruction is one of the reasons people hate Spite. Putting it on a hero card would be even less fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan
Germany
flag msg tools
I think it's a bit problematic, that almost each of the gremlins scales with x (number of Gremlins). A single Gremlin on his own, doesn't really do that much. In fact, some like Ornery, do nothing (x of 1 gets rounded down to 0, right?). This means your power level scales exponentially. The more gremlins you have, the better is your contribution overall, but also the impact of each individual gremlin.

When a single AoE attack wipes out your army, it is kind of double harsh. If a single gremlin would be just as powerful on his own as in a group, you could build up to your previous power level quicker, which would mitigate the AoE weakness a bit. But with the current build you actually increased this weakness, which is a general problem with target heavy hero decks anyway.

It might be thematically fitting, that they're only strong as a mob, but I worry, that it would lead to frustrating gameplay. Or did you experience this differently during playtests?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Pugh
United States
Fairborn
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Okay, if repeated environment destruction is not fun, let's adjust Clumsy...
Quote:
At the end of your turn, destroy an ongoing card, an equipment card, or Clumsy. If you destroy Clumsy, draw a card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.