Danko Petrovic
Serbia
Beograd
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Designed for the 2017 Solitaire Print and Play Contest.

Freelancer is simple, pseudo-worker placement, Yahtzee based solo game of programming freelancing work. You need to organize your time and have a lot of luck to be able to finish the work and deploy project in time.

Freelancer contains 12 helper cards and 4 project cards that represent difficulty levels. Player must provide few d4 and d6 dice.

The game will be playable in about 15 minutes.

I'd like the game to be entered in:
Best Game by a New Designer (first game that I actually plan to finish)
Best Game Designed in Contest Timeframe
Best Game Playable on an Airline Seat Tray
Best grayscale/low ink printing
Best Easy to Build Game
Best Worker Placement Category

I would like volunteers to be assigned to my game if needed.

DOWNLOAD v1
Rules
Components
LowInk/(Mostly)Greyscale components

DOWNLOAD v2
Rules
Version 2 of the rules, little reformatted and rephrased. Additional feedback is welcome Thanks...

DOWNLOAD v3
Rules
Version 3 of the rules, as pointed out by Adayu and IrishCyborg, I needed 1-Page Player Guide. So, that is added, and I hope it will help. Also some small (but important) changes in text as pointed out by Adayu.

DOWNLOAD v4
Rules
Version 4 of the rules, as pointed out by mogust, I forgot to specify what happens with Help cards if you failed DEBUG on previous day. Rules changed so you are allowed to draw a Help card if you failed debugging, no matter if you left any free time on the previous day or not. You made yourself enough free time xD
Components
LowInk Components
New version of components adds work area ability description.

Tabletop Simulator Workshop
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
If given the option, I would prefer to play with the green pieces, please.
badge
I have two new 9 Card Games: 300 Spartans and Franky's 1st Christmas
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: WIP - Freelancer - 2017 Solitaire Print and Play Contest (Idea Phase)
Welcome to the contest!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vedrana B
Serbia
Belgrade
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Danko, have you thought of a low ink version of components?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danko Petrovic
Serbia
Beograd
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. I'll make the greyscale variant with white backgrounds in the following days...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fynn
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, just played through. Nice game, I love the Windows-esque art!

I played with the PersonalAddressBook.exe but almost lost. It was probably just me assigning dice badly though. whistle

Some notes:
♩#1 Do you have to debug every turn to avoid losing the turn, or can you not if there are no bugs from the last turn?
♩#2 When rolling to debug, do any 1s go towards bugs for the end of turn?
♩#3 Does Preparation mean you have 1 extra (non-rollable) die every turn?
♩#4 The rules were a little hard to follow, they seemed kind of out of order?

Altogether it's a nice game to play, although a bit difficult for me!

I'll put some pictures up soon-ish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danko Petrovic
Serbia
Beograd
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IrishCyborg wrote:
Ok, just played through. Nice game, I love the Windows-esque art!

I played with the PersonalAddressBook.exe but almost lost. It was probably just me assigning dice badly though. whistle

Some notes:
♩#1 Do you have to debug every turn to avoid losing the turn, or can you not if there are no bugs from the last turn?
♩#2 When rolling to debug, do any 1s go towards bugs for the end of turn?
♩#3 Does Preparation mean you have 1 extra (non-rollable) die every turn?
♩#4 The rules were a little hard to follow, they seemed kind of out of order?

Altogether it's a nice game to play, although a bit difficult for me!

I'll put some pictures up soon-ish.

Hey! Thanks for the feedback

♩#1 You should put dice on DEBUG only if there are Bug tokens on it from previous turns. Originally (without optional rules), you are not allowed to continue your turn if there are still bug tokens on DEBUG area after you finish DEBUG rolling, but you may normally play if there were none at the beginning of the turn.
♩#2 No. I thought I put it in the rules, but I obviously forgot xD. 1s on DEBUG rolling are ignored for Bug generation. You are still not able to reroll them, though. Keep in mind that, originally (without optional rules), you generate a Bug token only if you have 1s in one work roll. This means, that, you rolled and rerolled some dice on DB roll and ended up getting 1/4/4, and then getting 1/6/5/2 on API roll will not generate Bug. Getting 1/1/4 on DB roll will generate it.
♩#3 Yes, it means that. Just keep in mind that once selected, you may not choose another for the rest of the turn.
♩#4 Yeah, I guess I should revisit them and try to rewrite them :/

I am very grateful for the feedback, and I'm glad you liked the game. PersonalAddressBook should not be too hard, unless you were really unlucky xD Maybe you generated bugs for each pair of 1s you rolled throughout the round, that might make it too hard xD

Thanks, again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adayu
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
You must tip me if your mouse pointer is touching my nipples.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, volunteer playtester here giving your game a try. I played the PersonalAddressBook scenario and won on day 3, assuming I played correctly.

It was a bit difficult for me since I don't have enough dice to fill all the slots, so I kind of had to allocate imaginary dice in my head. Also, I think the theme is cool but, not being at IT guy, I didn't totally understand what was going on. I initially thought DB stood for debug, so that confused me for a while.

Some comments/suggestions on the rules
- Bottom of page 2: you may be missing a period after "normal."
- First example on page 3: where it says "being higher than 2," did you mean higher than 1?
- Paragraph after first example on page 4: where it says "For each combination of successes put a Success token..." couldn't you instead remove a bug?
- I agree with the earlier comment that the rules seem out of order. I think it would help to have a 1-page step-by-step player aide.
- I like the manual's wry sense of humor.

Good luck in the contest, and if it doesn't work out, have fun at ballet!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danko Petrovic
Serbia
Beograd
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Adayu wrote:
Hello, volunteer playtester here giving your game a try. I played the PersonalAddressBook scenario and won on day 3, assuming I played correctly.

It was a bit difficult for me since I don't have enough dice to fill all the slots, so I kind of had to allocate imaginary dice in my head. Also, I think the theme is cool but, not being at IT guy, I didn't totally understand what was going on. I initially thought DB stood for debug, so that confused me for a while.

Some comments/suggestions on the rules
- Bottom of page 2: you may be missing a period after "normal."
- First example on page 3: where it says "being higher than 2," did you mean higher than 1?
- Paragraph after first example on page 4: where it says "For each combination of successes put a Success token..." couldn't you instead remove a bug?
- I agree with the earlier comment that the rules seem out of order. I think it would help to have a 1-page step-by-step player aide.
- I like the manual's wry sense of humor.

Good luck in the contest, and if it doesn't work out, have fun at ballet!

Thanks for the feedback! Congrats on winning on day 3 xD that's quite an achievement...

As for the terminology, DB stands for Database, API stands for Application Programming Interface and GUI for Graphical User Interface.

As for suggestions
- I cannot find this. 'Normal' is mentioned only once, and as far as I can tell, the sentence is continued after a comma... Then again, English is not my native language, so your might be right xD
- You are completely right, I fixed that in v3.
- No. In that paragraph I explained rolling for DB, API and GUI rolls. For each success combination that you rolled, you put a Success token on corresponding work area. Only way to remove a BUG is to roll dice distributed on DEBUG area during the Planning phase.
- I guess you are right... Everyone I tried around me had me as a help with explanation. I added 1-page step-by-step guide as you recommended, and I hope it will help. Thanks

Oh, I'm already getting ready for ballet xD This was more a reason for me to finish one game that I tried creating, than a competitive nature xD If anyone enjoys the game in the process, I'll be really happy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Israel Waldrom
New Zealand
Dunedin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played a few games of Freelancer, on the Personal Address Book board.

Quote:
Maybe you generated bugs for each pair of 1s you rolled throughout the round, that might make it too hard xD

Not as hard as generating a bug for each 1 that was rolled! I soon realized my mistake on that one after horribly failing 2 games, but the experience still gave me a feel for the game, and I was much more successful on my third round, scoring 16 and finishing on Day 4. The rolling on that game was far better than it had been on the previous games too, which helped.

The rules aren't too bad, but a bit long for what the game is. However, the new rules summary at the end is very useful. It would be useful to add to it what effects you can get from spending successes, and/or write in on the board in the play areas. The humor and tone of the rules is good, and the examples are well done as well.

Do you still get a help card if you fail to debug on a turn (assuming you didn't spend all of your hours)?

I found that by and large buying d4's was a much better option than d6's, especially if you are trying for a high score or have a lot to complete. You get twice the number of dice, though the chance of getting 1's is of course much higher (25% vs 17%), but that is part of the risk, and there are some help cards that mitigate that. Also, when gunning for pairs, you have a better chance of getting pairs from d4's than d6's. Other boards will of course change the odds and hence choices, especially if you need a higher sequence, but that was my observation from that board.

I assume that a help card, once spent, is just discarded and doesn't get shuffled back into the pool of cards?

Finally, I think the game would probably work quite well as a roll and write game (which is what I did for my sessions), with the help cards on the right hand side of the board. Tick the square when you complete it, and cross it through when used.

You'll have to excuse my messy handwriting. Twas late in the day. I didn't end up crossing off any of the successes as I didn't end up using them, even though I had plans to do so on the last turn.

Well done on the game design. I can see the harder programs being just that, even with the correct rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danko Petrovic
Serbia
Beograd
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback! It means a lot!

mogust wrote:
Played a few games of Freelancer, on the Personal Address Book board.

Quote:
Maybe you generated bugs for each pair of 1s you rolled throughout the round, that might make it too hard xD

Not as hard as generating a bug for each 1 that was rolled! I soon realized my mistake on that one after horribly failing 2 games, but the experience still gave me a feel for the game, and I was much more successful on my third round, scoring 16 and finishing on Day 4. The rolling on that game was far better than it had been on the previous games too, which helped.

The rules aren't too bad, but a bit long for what the game is. However, the new rules summary at the end is very useful. It would be useful to add to it what effects you can get from spending successes, and/or write in on the board in the play areas. The humor and tone of the rules is good, and the examples are well done as well.

Somehow, it never occurred to me that it would be a brilliant idea to have Special Work Actions written in the boxes... Thanks for that, I'll do it, definitely!

mogust wrote:
Do you still get a help card if you fail to debug on a turn (assuming you didn't spend all of your hours)?

Good question... I didn't think about it, actually. I guess it makes sense to let the player get the card. He lost too much with the turn skipping, anyway. I'll add it to the rules.

mogust wrote:
I found that by and large buying d4's was a much better option than d6's, especially if you are trying for a high score or have a lot to complete. You get twice the number of dice, though the chance of getting 1's is of course much higher (25% vs 17%), but that is part of the risk, and there are some help cards that mitigate that. Also, when gunning for pairs, you have a better chance of getting pairs from d4's than d6's. Other boards will of course change the odds and hence choices, especially if you need a higher sequence, but that was my observation from that board.

I was think about this "problem" before... I had an idea to reward the player for rolling a [6] on a die. I had some ideas, but job is killing me and I've been putting playtesting off these days. It must be something not too powerful, but significant enough. Thanks for pointing it out, to confirm my doubt

mogust wrote:
I assume that a help card, once spent, is just discarded and doesn't get shuffled back into the pool of cards?

Yeah... There are enough of them for all days for any scenario. I'll specify it in the rules.

mogust wrote:
Finally, I think the game would probably work quite well as a roll and write game (which is what I did for my sessions), with the help cards on the right hand side of the board. Tick the square when you complete it, and cross it through when used.

You'll have to excuse my messy handwriting. Twas late in the day. I didn't end up crossing off any of the successes as I didn't end up using them, even though I had plans to do so on the last turn.

How did you "draw" the Help cards? You rolled the die? It definitely makes sense to play it this way... It is cheaper and more portable Thanks for the idea

mogust wrote:

Well done on the game design. I can see the harder programs being just that, even with the correct rules.

Yeah, unfortunately I never managed to get enough time and try to make different scenarios more different and at least a little bit less luck dependent.

Thanks, again for your feedback... I hope you had at least a little bit of fun while playing it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Israel Waldrom
New Zealand
Dunedin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LordBalder wrote:

How did you "draw" the Help cards? You rolled the die? It definitely makes sense to play it this way... It is cheaper and more portable Thanks for the idea

I used a d12 to determine which one I gained, rerolling if I had already gained that one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.