6 Posts

The Red Dragon Inn: Battle for Greyport» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Valaria/Cultists rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
trevor leitner
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm wondering if anyone has found a solid strategy for dealing with this scenario. So far my wife and I have been getting our butts kicked repeatedly on it. Thus far we've only been playing the game under the original(hardcore) rules. Made it through the easy and medium difficulty scenarios, the mediums without any problems. Our standard try goes like so:

Our typical team is Deirdre, Zot, and Fiona. Thus far round one tends to go fairly well, typically about 2 rounds around the table with perhaps a combined total of 3-4 damage across the entire team taken.

Round two is where things really start to fall apart. Each player starts with 5-6 damage in front of them and having three cultist on the board makes shield fairly unreliable. Most of the time we manage to save the location and kill off the monsters relatively well, however, we generally end up having about 1 round where we are just burnt out on cards and someone eats like 5 damage, several curses, etc. Usually we go into round 3 with each player having between 3-6 HP.

And round 3 is the Coup De Grace. The location starts with 12 hp and usually starts with 10-11 damage in front of it. We've enough monsters in front of each of us that we can't even consider trying to save the location. After 2 rounds the location goes down, once the boss is active and the location monsters have been spread around we generally make it through 1-2 more turns. Sometimes Valaria flips, sometimes not. So far the most we've managed to do is hit her with a bit of splash if she happened to be in front of a player that didn't have any cultists.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Waller
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Your typical team sounds a bit low on damage, and I think you'll need to consider switching it up a bit.

Deirdre is a great member of any team, until Cultists show up. At that point her low damage starts to have a really hard time overcoming the relatively burly or armored Cultists and Abberations. Zot also has a tough time, because his splash damage gets ignored by a lot of the monsters in this scenario, even though his retiring helps mitigate curses in E3.

I would suggest trying the scenario with Gerki or Chronos (or both). Chronos is fantastic at piling on damage and evaporating the beefy tanks you're fighting. Gerki can typically one-shot any Cultists you encounter with multiple silver-value weapons, his Snipe and his ability to attack anything on the board.

So... in 3-player Valeria my preferred team is Fiona (who is never a bad pick), Gerki and Chronos. If I go to 4, I'll take Zot. Valeria is actually one of the only scenarios where I let Deirdre sit it out.

All that being said, it is possible to win the scenario with any combination of characters, but just like how you can alter the difficulty of the game with End of Encounter healing, you can make life harder on yourself by bringing heroes a scenario specifically weakens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor leitner
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Makes sense. We'll give it a shot. We've tried Fiona, Zot, and Gerki. Never Fiona, Chron, and Gerki. Out of curiosity do you find a specific number of players increases win chance for this or any other scenarios? We've found 3 to be much easier to win with than 2 or 4. Not much experience with 5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor leitner
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam Waller wrote:
Your typical team sounds a bit low on damage, and I think you'll need to consider switching it up a bit.

Deirdre is a great member of any team, until Cultists show up. At that point her low damage starts to have a really hard time overcoming the relatively burly or armored Cultists and Abberations. Zot also has a tough time, because his splash damage gets ignored by a lot of the monsters in this scenario, even though his retiring helps mitigate curses in E3.

I would suggest trying the scenario with Gerki or Chronos (or both). Chronos is fantastic at piling on damage and evaporating the beefy tanks you're fighting. Gerki can typically one-shot any Cultists you encounter with multiple silver-value weapons, his Snipe and his ability to attack anything on the board.

So... in 3-player Valeria my preferred team is Fiona (who is never a bad pick), Gerki and Chronos. If I go to 4, I'll take Zot. Valeria is actually one of the only scenarios where I let Deirdre sit it out.

All that being said, it is possible to win the scenario with any combination of characters, but just like how you can alter the difficulty of the game with End of Encounter healing, you can make life harder on yourself by bringing heroes a scenario specifically weakens.

This advice really helped out. Managed to take her down on the first try with this team. We were really close to breaking down and using the hp regen rules.

Game was really close but we managed to turn the corner and smash her for 29 damage in one final round before we went down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Waller
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to hear it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor leitner
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam Waller wrote:
Glad to hear it!

Does make me wonder if that wouldn't be something worth considering to included in the rules. Some sort of usefulness rating per match. 1-X.

I.E. gerki is really useful for sniping out hydra heads. Gains a usefulness rating of 1 for the hydra boss while Deirdre is not so good against the cultists so gets a 3/4/whatever for that scenario.

I know a lot of people said the initial game was too hard. Other than the tutorial I don't really agree, but that might be a way to make it easier without actually changing anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.